Port of Tortola 7-1 - Sugguestions for a short day?

SnookiCookie

Hi! Booked a last minute NYE cruise today. I'm so excited!

This will be our first time in Tortola. Our ship will be the only one in port that day but is only in port from 7-1.

We really wanted to visit the Baths in Virgin Gorda but I don't think it will be possible with our short day. :(

Typically we look for a beach with drinks and facilities. Also interested in possible place to snorkel, we have our on gear.

Any suggestions for our quick stop? Where is the closest beach? Favorite restaurants, bars, or shopping close to ship?

Edited by SnookiCookie

Jost is a fun day with beach bars but not a great snorkel Bay and you have limited time there. For a nice beach just 20 minutes and an $8 taxi from the port with good snorkeling Brewers Bay would be a great choice. One beach bar and restrooms, nothing fancy, if you want beach bars with no snorkeling Cane Garden Bay will be the most crowded beach.

Wish you had more time to see beautiful Tortola, but at least you can see some of her and enjoy a nice beach!

Edited by blue_water

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate all the help, advice, and information.

Jost Van Dyke excursion looks great but not willing to spend the money for only a few hours. Maybe next time if we stay in port longer.

Interested in Brewers Bay and Cane Garden Bay because of the 20 minute ride to a beach. Watched some YouTube videos and both look amazing. Probably leaning towards Brewers Bay for quiet beaches and the ability to snorkel.

While watching YouTube videos, I discovered a beach called Smuggler Cove. I saw it might be another 10 minutes farther than Brewers Bay but the beach there looked absolutely breathtaking. Anyone think it's worth venturing out that far? My understanding is there is snorkeling at Smugglers Cove as well?

My only concern is the transportation back. With the only ship at port will there be taxis at these non crowed beaches to return back to the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate all the help, advice, and information.

Jost Van Dyke excursion looks great but not willing to spend the money for only a few hours. Maybe next time if we stay in port longer.

Interested in Brewers Bay and Cane Garden Bay because of the 20 minute ride to a beach. Watched some YouTube videos and both look amazing. Probably leaning towards Brewers Bay for quiet beaches and the ability to snorkel.

While watching YouTube videos, I discovered a beach called Smuggler Cove. I saw it might be another 10 minutes farther than Brewers Bay but the beach there looked absolutely breathtaking. Anyone think it's worth venturing out that far? My understanding is there is snorkeling at Smugglers Cove as well?

My only concern is the transportation back. With the only ship at port will there be taxis at these non crowed beaches to return back to the ship?

Smuggler's is our favorite beach and is rarely crowded because is a little harder to get to and there are no amenities other than the possibility that Nigel may be there and selling drinks and food. Your driver would need to return for you, the closest place to call is in Long Bay which you pass on the way (LB is also gorgeous and you can rent lounges there for $5 and there is a restaurant).

Can't help with the question on the snorkeling quality at Smuggler's anymore, but you can probably find reviews. Arguably the most gorgeous Tortola beach, just easier when you have a vehicle and more time.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our first time in Tortola. Our ship will be the only one in port that day but is only in port from 7-1.

We really wanted to visit the Baths in Virgin Gorda but I don't think it will be possible with our short day. :(

Typically we look for a beach with drinks and facilities. Also interested in possible place to snorkel, we have our on gear.

Any suggestions for our quick stop? Where is the closest beach? Favorite restaurants, bars, or shopping close to ship?

Hi Snookie

we are planning on going to Cane Garden Bay for a few hours in the am. Maybe If you want we can share a ride over there if you decide to go.

i am a little confused, we are also considering doing beach & snorkel on our own, did you say Brewers beach is only an $8 taxi ride to the beach?

do they rent snorkel equipment? i saw you mentioned there was 1 rst?

thanks

The taxi fare to either CGB or Brewers is $8pp each way for 3 ppl or more, a private taxi for just 1 or 2 can be more. For CGB just hop one of the many safari taxis that are loading up to go there, no need to share a taxi. There will also be a taxi going to Brewers.

Not sure about snorkel gear rentals at Brewers, perhaps someone else can answer that, and yes there are restrooms and a beach bar at Brewers.

Brewers is the best choice for off the beach snorkeling, especially on a short day. CGB is a good choice if you want more than one beach bar for some reason and you want a very busy vibe. CGB is not a good choice for snorkeling.

Edited by blue_water

You do have an option to visit th Baths, there is a 7:45 ferry over and a 10:00 return ferry. That would give you only 1.5 hrs there however so not a great option. It's a much better option with the NCL 7 - 3 port times.

Edited by blue_water

I am just curious how to get a taxi to take you to Cane Garden Bay. Meaning a legit taxi I know some islands talk of gypsy taxi drivers that are not licensed . I was interested in taking a private taxi to the beach. thanks any info appreciated

I am just curious how to get a taxi to take you to Cane Garden Bay. Meaning a legit taxi I know some islands talk of gypsy taxi drivers that are not licensed . I was interested in taking a private taxi to the beach. thanks any info appreciated

All of the taxis that are lined up at the pier are licensed. There are the safari taxis (pickup trucks with the open-sided seating that holds from 8 - 28 ppl) as well as vans and sedans. The pricing structure is similar to other islands like St Thomas except for 3 or more ppl it's even cheaper than the other islands. CGB or Brewers Bay will be $8pp each way for 3 or more (or for 1 person going with a group on a safari taxi).

If you want a private taxi for some reason the fare is $12pp for 2, and $24 for one.

All of the taxis that are lined up at the pier are licensed. There are the safari taxis (pickup trucks with the open-sided seating that holds from 8 - 28 ppl) as well as vans and sedans. The pricing structure is similar to other islands like St Thomas except for 3 or more ppl it's even cheaper than the other islands. CGB or Brewers Bay will be $8pp each way for 3 or more (or for 1 person going with a group on a safari taxi).

If you want a private taxi for some reason the fare is $12pp for 2, and $24 for one.

Thank you for the info. I know it is somewhere here, but am in the middle of packing and can't search for the answer. I know there are small eateries on GCB, Can you tell me thier names and maybe which one is better than the others.. thanks

Thank you for the info. I know it is somewhere here, but am in the middle of packing and can't search for the answer. I know there are small eateries on GCB, Can you tell me thier names and maybe which one is better than the others.. thanks

Yes and there is at least one new place since we've been there.

We stay at Myett's when on Tortola for a land-based vacation and that would be a great spot to get lounges/umbrella and lunch. Great burgers and fish tacos and sandwiches. Our other favorite spot for lunch is right next door at Tony's. This is the original Stanley's Welcome Bar which was famous for the palm with the tire swing. That is gone and cousin Tony now runs it, but they also have excellent burgers and fish dishes. We like sitting at the center table and staring out at Jost. Myett's has an open-air and covered bar and large patio as well. All of the restaurants are between the East End and center of the bay, and Myett's is the last place in the center of the bay. Beyond that is a cemetery and open beach that is less crowded.

There are other spots but these are our favs. The Big Banana on the other side of the Elms and Rymers had a great seafood alfredo pasta as well. Would also recommend stopping at Quito Rymers place at the east end of the bay, he's a popular reggae/island recording artist and has some great CD's to remember Tortola by. Also signature drinks named after his songs, try the "Legend" as long as you aren't driving! The Calwood rum distillery is also right there.

Edited by blue_water

Hi Snookie

we are planning on going to Cane Garden Bay for a few hours in the am. Maybe If you want we can share a ride over there if you decide to go.

Thanks for the invite. I believe we are planning on going to Brewers Bay instead. Only because of the opportunity to snorkel. If things change I'll let you know on board.

You do have an option to visit th Baths, there is a 7:45 ferry over and a 10:00 return ferry. That would give you only 1.5 hrs there however so not a great option. It's a much better option with the NCL 7 - 3 port times.

I have been looking for specific info on how to get to the Baths on our own. Do you know when the ferry comes back? We are on NCL Escape so sailaway is at 3.

I have been looking for specific info on how to get to the Baths on our own. Do you know when the ferry comes back? We are on NCL Escape so sailaway is at 3.

Speedy's departs Virgin Gorda at 12:40 and gets you back on Tortola around 1:10 (departs VG at 1PM on Sunday and public holidays). So with the 7:45 ferry over you get about 4 hrs on VG.

Enjoy your NYE cruise! We really enjoyed Cane Garden Bay - gorgeous beach, decent food, good drinks. Wasn't busy at all. We're on Epic and arrive at Tortola a day before you. Since we have a much longer day in port we're going to do the Baths on our own this go-around.

Thanks for this important Tortola info. I am also on the NCL Gem from 7-1pm. (later in the spring). The same day the NCL Escape will be in port from 7 - 3pm.

I am looking for a beach close (short taxi ride) from the cruise pier. Although we dock at 7am, I am not that early of a person. I would leave the ship around 9am and plan to return at noon.

So, is there a close by beach to take a swim and sit in some lounge chairs?

With the 2 ships in port that day, I am hesitant to venture too far and encounter too much traffic.

Thanks for this important Tortola info. I am also on the NCL Gem from 7-1pm. (later in the spring). The same day the NCL Escape will be in port from 7 - 3pm.

I am looking for a beach close (short taxi ride) from the cruise pier. Although we dock at 7am, I am not that early of a person. I would leave the ship around 9am and plan to return at noon.

So, is there a close by beach to take a swim and sit in some lounge chairs?

With the 2 ships in port that day, I am hesitant to venture too far and encounter too much traffic.

Nothing close to the port unfortunately, and a taxi is needed to get to a beach. Traffic won't be a real concern, and you could go to one of the north shore beaches like CGB or Brewers. Taxis should be available at the port throughout the day so a 9A or later taxi wouldn't be a problem. The only thing is they charge by the person so if you don't take a safari taxi with a group and it's just one or two of you the fare will be higher. For example the round trip fare to CGB or Brewers for 3ppl is $16pp, for 2 ppl $24pp, and for one $48. But you'll see what is available when you get off. I'm sure there will be others heading to these beaches at that time so the fare will be low.

There is a beach at Nanny Cay which is on the south coast heading toward West End, but not a typical destination for day visitors, and not sure about any amenities.

I'd suggest choosing between CGB and Brewers when you get there. Taxis will return to both of these beaches to return folks, and since the Escape is in port there will be taxis stopping in.

Or if you got off by 8 you could taxi to Trellis Bay and take the free ferry to Marina Cay if time allows. You can find more on this in my other posts or by using the search function. You wouldn't have a lot of time there, but you would be away from the crowds...

• 3 months later...
Speedy's departs Virgin Gorda at 12:40 and gets you back on Tortola around 1:10 (departs VG at 1PM on Sunday and public holidays). So with the 7:45 ferry over you get about 4 hrs on VG.

So from NCL Escape - do you catch Speedy's directly from port or do you taxi somewhere? How would you instruct us to do this if we were doing it on our own. 4 hours seems like a good amt of time to spend there and I'm wondering if it is much cheaper to do it on our own this way... with family of 5... the NCL excursions really add up to $500+ fast.

Thanks!

So from NCL Escape - do you catch Speedy's directly from port or do you taxi somewhere? How would you instruct us to do this if we were doing it on our own. 4 hours seems like a good amt of time to spend there and I'm wondering if it is much cheaper to do it on our own this way... with family of 5... the NCL excursions really add up to $500+ fast.

Thanks!

Hi Leslie,

The ferry terminal is a 10 min walk from the cruise ship pier, this link shows the walk -

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cruise+Ship+Pier,+Tortola,+British+Virgin+Islands/Road+Town+Ferry+Terminal,+Waterfront+Drive,+Road+Town,+Tortola,+British+Virgin+Islands/@18.4214094,-64.6155379,16z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x8c0576acfe77f291:0x115ffa1119c98d05!1m2!1m1!1s0x8c057154dda309d9:0xba6b3099e7365e70!3e0

You'll find many details on going on your own in other threads here