Just Embarked the Equinox. IMPRESSED!

ChucktownSteve

A comment on your table mate Mark - I'm surprised he's married. Sounds like he has some "issues" beyond just how his food is served. I trust you but this story is so unbelievable I'm not sure I'd believe it if I read it anywhere else.

I'm not good enough to have made up a story like that. ROFLMAO

Well I'm off to the liquor store to try to get the Manager to match the JW Blue low price from St. Martin. Two for $198 vs the ship cost of 2/$310

Edited by ChucktownSteve

One poster hoped Jelena would be on their October 2017 cruise. She over heard me saying we booked a similar cruise on the Reflection in Nov 2017. She is moving to the Reflection over the summer. Sorry! We enjoyed the Equinox and the cruise so much we booked Reflection Thanksgiving week 2017, St. Lucia and Antigua replace St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Barbados and overnight in St. Maarten again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

"Mark the Offender"-- Hard to believe he'd share his embarrassing back story with a table full of folks he'd never met before. Maybe just a few too many Heinekens, but sounds to me he's totally crackers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I went to the liquor store last night. The clerk called the Manager twice who had to approve the price match but she never showed. I was asked to come back at 10:30.

So after my last post I head down deck 4. (can you hear the screeching to a halt sound effect?)

IMG_1878_zpsiyrgt9gx.jpg

They're having a sale!!!! Can you guess where the liquor store is? I'll give you a hint. It's at the very end of the corridor after all the peeps.

I get to the store and the clerk calls a Manager who tells him he has to call a higher level Manager. He calls her. I wait & wait. He calls her again and several minutes later she shows up.

I show them the pictures I took in St. Maarten. Then I show her my receipt. I was smart enough to bring it with me. She was still a little hesitant so I tell her I can bring the bottle to match the receipt. She then authorized the match. 2 JW Blue for $198 instead of $310. YEA

But she has to take a picture from my camera of the liquor in the store and price billboard. (I posted those earlier) Then she took my receipt and said she had to make a copy of it. She disappears for 5-7 minutes. When she returned she asked me to bring her my bottle to verify.

I traipse to deck nine and back with the bottle that has my name etched on it. She asks how I got it through security. I told her they never asked for it. Then she puts her fingers all over the front of the bottle where my name is smudging some. But no biggie I pointed it out and she was more respectful of my bottle. She had to take a picture of the bottle and the box with the matching size.

Phew. Talk about jumping through hoops. I know I could have bought the two bottles where I bought the first one but it was principle even though the ship's bottles weren't etched. Besides I used the OBN I needed to spend.

Last cruise I tried to price match and the store clerk found a loop hole not to match. So this was a shove it in your face win since there was such a price difference. Take that Celebrity!!! :p

Those two bottle put me over my duty limit but I don't care that I may have to pay duty. The bottle sells at home for $195 each. On the ship for $155 and I got it for $99. I can afford to give the government their pound of flesh...The Shylocks.

Regarding the all OBN. I spent half on my DW in the jewelry store last night and the other half on the Liquor. So really my liquor was free right? Use it or lose it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I now have an OBN credit of $7.75. Does anyone know what Celebrity sells for $7.75? Not a test. I'd like to zero it out. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

A beer?

Certainly won't cover any wine or liquor.

EDIT: I just realized that the policy of taking liquor from us at ports also serves the purpose of not price matching. If you hadn't had the bottle I wonder if you would have been able to do it?

Go Steve!!!!!!! [emoji1][emoji134]🏼*

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by chamima

A beer?

Certainly won't cover any wine or liquor.

EDIT: I just realized that the policy of taking liquor from us at ports also serves the purpose of not price matching. If you hadn't had the bottle I wonder if you would have been able to do it?

Go Steve!!!!!!! [emoji134][emoji1]

Karen, I have the premium liquor pkg. But I like JohnnyOcean1959's suggestion.

I've been asking for sharing at Select Dining. Let me begin by saying there were six other lovely people who were as incredulous as I. Two of the couples from near the San Francisco area I ate with previously. Then there was a couple I also ate with from a previous night who are from the Niagara area on the Canadian side.

Now the back story as told to me by the offender, Mark. Early in the cruise he had an altercation with a dining room Manager. According to him, he demands all the appetizers be delivered at one time and all his entrees delivered at one time. The server, I suspect, had difficulty understand his belligerent order.

The Manager approached him and he claims he was only reaching to turn up the Manager's name tag. The Manager accused Mark of assaulting him and turned him into security.

The following morning he was called into conference with the head of security, the F&B Manager and four other senior staff. He was sternly ward that future actions would get him put off at the next port and he would have to pay his own transportation home. I won't get into the weeds as to other details but you get the point.

Fast forward to last night, his first foray back to the dining room since the incident. His wife wouldn't join him for this he told me. After Mark left the table the other table mates said they understood why. So did I.

OK now to last night. He ordered five appetizers all to be delivered at one time. Well the waiter didn't quite understand his request and is probably trained to deliver one appetizer at a time, which is what he did. Mark got belligerent and demanded every one of them be brought out immediately. He was debasing the server who the others and I had previously. The server was excellent BTW. He acted professionally and tried to accommodate Mark's demand.

As soon as the appetizers were delivered, he began dumping one onto the other and another onto that. Then he dove in to eating like a maniac. At this point his Heineken bottle is empty but the sommelier wasn't asking if he wanted another.

Then his five entrees were delivered, as demanded but they were all on one plate. He had the steak, the salmon and others. He wolfed down his food and didn't wait for dessert before leaving the table. OMG This description still didn't do him justice! :eek:

Onto my dinner. I had the BBQ pork spring roll. It was pretty good. For my entree I ordered the sauteed duck breast. I inquired if it was dry & overcooked or moist & juicy. He assured me it was the latter. When it arrived, I saw that mine was just as I wanted it but my table mate had his a bit more done. Great job taking care of my wishes.

The other night I mentioned that dinner was the best for me on this cruise. Well the duck breast last night, for me, surpassed it in flavor, juiciness and temperature.

To end on another positive note, this ship has some of the professionally best and personable crew I've experienced. :D

On my last cruise in Blu I order three duck dishes on various nights. I luv duck.

I really should have taken a picture of it but since he was so explosive, I didn't want to set him off.

It is because of posts like these that I drop everything I'm doing and check out the latest update every time I get a notification that there is an update! I'm so sad your cruise is almost over, though it is easy to console myself since I board the Summit one week from today.

Thanks so much for everything you've done to scout for people, share prices, activities, cabin information, menus, and even pass greetings along to others' favorite crew members. I'll miss this thread when your cruise ends, but look forward to cruising with you for two more days!

It is because of posts like these that I drop everything I'm doing and check out the latest update every time I get a notification that there is an update! I'm so sad your cruise is almost over, though it is easy to console myself since I board the Summit one week from today.

Thanks so much for everything you've done to scout for people, share prices, activities, cabin information, menus, and even pass greetings along to others' favorite crew members. I'll miss this thread when your cruise ends, but look forward to cruising with you for two more days!

Me too!!

I'm sure the $7.75 OBN will be used up with the mysterious post disembarkation phantom charges that we always seem to accrue, including on the Equinox last month. We disembarked with $49.20 in OBR. Within a few days our credit card was credited, for $27.60. We called, as we always do, were told it was "stateroom amenities", we said we didn't have any such amenity, it was refunded no problem, as usual. But why does this keep happening ...

Thanks for a great review. We are back on Equinox in April.

I couldn't have said it better. DH & I will be on the 10 night cruise in March. This will be our first time on Celebrity so I am thrilled I found this thread! :)

Ditto...we are also on this cruise departing late March....thanks for the info...:)

JW Platinum on the rocks, you should be ashame :) You should drink that neat :p

I know, I know. The last couple of nights I've been ordering water backs. Just trying to save my stomach & liver. :cool:

On another note, the satellite & internet have been atrocious today. The news channels were out for awhile this morning. So was the internet. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to navigate the internet and great difficulty trying to upload pictures.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I'm sure the $7.75 OBN will be used up with the mysterious post disembarkation phantom charges that we always seem to accrue, including on the Equinox last month. We disembarked with $49.20 in OBR. Within a few days our credit card was credited, for $27.60. We called, as we always do, were told it was "stateroom amenities", we said we didn't have any such amenity, it was refunded no problem, as usual. But why does this keep happening ...

Thanks for a great review. We are back on Equinox in April.

Just off the Harmony of the Seas a few weeks ago with a party of 8. Every one of the 4 cabins had additional charges put on after disembarking. Mini frig. charges was the explanation, but when we said we didn't touch the 2 bottles of water in there, the charges were taken off and refunded! Seems like this is a new company practice. I guess they feel that most people don't check their accounts or credit cards after disembarking, or won't say anything over a few dollars. Multiply those few dollars times the number of cabins each week and they have a nice thing going for them!

You are just too kind. TYVM. BTW my DW is originally from NE. Do you remember Roger Welsch who did Postcard from NE on CBS?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I would encourage all who cruise when they get home to check charges from Celebrity on their credit card to make sure everything is correct. We got home after last months cruise. Had a $22 balance on ship TV but a few days after we disembarked we looked at credit card charges and it was $68. Called Celebrity and they said it was for some drinks in a bar. We never ordered those drinks. So the charges were cheerfully refunded.

Just a tip to pass on to all!!

On another note, the satellite & internet have been atrocious today. The news channels were out for awhile this morning. So was the internet. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to navigate the internet and great difficulty trying to upload pictures.

Same problem here...I feel your pain.

Bill

Steve..Yes ...thank you for all your postings pictures and fun!

....are you a dog or cat person??..how can I thank you for your pleasure and work you have given us..I would like to give $$ to my local animal rescue centre in your spirit.

Please post any other ideas!!

Again thank you.

Anita