Just Embarked the Equinox. IMPRESSED!

ChucktownSteve

Some observations

No pickles or hot peppers anywhere in the buffet....chopped jalapeños only at Mexican station,

Have to disagree with Steve on the beef borginon...it was awful...they cook the beef separately and then add some veggies and sauce. Result is tasteless dry beef cubes in a nice sauce. However most mar dishes are pretty good.

Internet has been fine....new system works well.

Plenty of open chaises....but this is a really senior cruise....maybe not as bad as Hal but the avg age has to be over 70.

Music level is excellent...loud enough as background but you can actually talk.

Wonderful crew...I keep saying that but they are that good.

I had two perfectly cooked poached eggs in the mdr breakfast this morning and that's a first....cudos.

Our cabin attendant is a ninja....no matter when we leave the cabin, he's in to clean, etc....terrific.

As stated before, you might avoid the Tuscan grill on this ship.....not worth extra cost

You kind of have to bar shop if you want to try different high end liquors on the premium package...ensemble lounge seems to have the best variety.

Martini bar is serving no all kinds of drinks even on the classic package. Really nice guys behind the bar.

The photo folks have become pushy again....you can say no but you will be asked three or four tim s as you get off the ship...and they set up blocking the entrance to the ensemble lounge ...very tacky.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have classic package...are you saying we can get drinks at Martini Bar?

Martinis included?

Davidc

If you get a chance tell Darko his Aussie family say hi and are missing him

"be honest" was his catch cry

had the pleasure of one of the last cruises with him in the molecular bar on solstice earlier this year

He said you were his "brother". He appreciated the message and will contact you directly. It brought a smile to his face you did that.

I've said it once & I'll say it again! I am loving your review & pictures, especially all the details. Now I know I don't need to bring a night light for our inside cabin :)

Or you could also leave the bathroom light on and close the door as much as you want to have amount of light you want to enter the rest of the cabin. :D

We've done that.

Speaking of Doors...on the M class I found I needed bungee cords to hold the sliding balcony door open. Perhaps the slider became loose over the years. However my balcony slider on the Equinox has enough grip that it stays open at any position by itself. The closure lock is also much easier to operate with the longer handle.

IMG_1826_zpshqnm2bbe.jpg

All the other ships have sailed and it's still before the new ones dock. One of the shop keepers said there would be five in today and four on Sunday.

Waiting to arrive in St. Maarten, I take a seat in Cafe al Bacio where I can look out the window and also look up into the etched mirror and watch behind me at the elevators.

IMG_1804_zpsgt1h205p.jpg

I go up to the Buffet for lunch. Then I head down to the cabin to get ready to go ashore. Surprise. This is the view from my Balcony.

IMG_1807_zpsdvw85ndv.jpg

Welcome Oasis of the Seas. OK now I've hit the pier and am walking to the general port shopping area. This is the view of St. Maartin in the distance. Get out your magnifying glass and you might see the beach and what they call Boardwalk.

IMG_1808_zpsl0gbh7ec.jpg

I turn the corner, lo & behold, there are SIX cruise ships docked. The sister M Class Summit is here. She's on the far left so Celebrity ships act as bookends to the two between. My DW and I sailed Summit in August. It allows me to compare the sizes side by side almost.

IMG_1809_zpsnizg4bvw.jpg

Here's the Equinox next to her Royal Caribbean cousin, Oasis of the Seas.

IMG_1811_zpsafkfjgt6.jpg

And here's the view of the Equinox from the beach at Boardwalk.

IMG_1813_zps4ofyiikq.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

There are three ways to get to town. Walk, water taxi and vehicle taxi. It's a little confusing knowing which direction to walk to the water or vehicle taxi. So I'll try to explain.

As you enter the shore shopping, to take the water taxi, follow the crowd that's walking to the left. To walk into town or take a taxi you keep to the right stores. Once you get past the duty free liquor (overpriced) store, turn right and you'll see the taxi pavilion.

IMG_1817_zpsvgsrxsa4.jpg

Walking to town is Free. But too far for me. The water taxi is $7pp all day or $5 one way. The vehicle taxi is $3pp. I opted for the vehicle. It took about 10 minutes in (obviously) heavy traffic.

Time to shop for my liquor. I stop in three different stores to compare pricing before deciding where to buy. Definitely want to get as good a deal as possible.

But before I go into the pricing between St. Thomas, St. Kitts and St. Maarten (ironic they are all Saints. Did Saints drink?) let me address JustinAllen's Dom Perignon question.

IMG_1805_zpsdt1gcxlz.jpg

And one more of the numerous wine by the bottle pages.

IMG_1806_zpsathm30co.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

OK here's the comparison between prices I found in St. Thomas, St. Kitts and St. Maarten plus pictures of the Equinox pricing.

JW Blue 750ml

St. Thomas $129.99

St. Kitts Didn’t price

St. Maartin Pier location 1 $99 or Special edition bottle $115 with free name etching.

St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street not available

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $99

JW Blue 1L

St. Thomas $145

St. Kitts Didn’t price

St. Maartin Pier location 1 not available.

St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street $130

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $125

JW Platinum 750

St. Thomas $84.95

St. Kitts $69.99

St. Maartin Pier location 1 2/$100

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $45

JW Platinum 1L

St. Thomas $90

St. Kitts $104

St. Maartin Pier location 1 not available

St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street $80

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street

JW Gold 750

St. Thomas Didn't see

St. Kitts $64.99

St. Maartin Pier location 1 $35

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $33

JW Gold 1L

St. Thomas $45

St. Kitts $64.99

St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street $45

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $45

JW XR21 750

St. Thomas not available

St. Kitts 2/$184

St. Maartin Pier location 1 2/$160

St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street $79

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $85 (matched location 1)

JW Swing 750

St. Thomas $60

St. Kitts $46/44.99

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street $33

Many of the stores don't want you taking pictures of their liquor & pricing so you can't price match on the ship.

Here is a sign outside one of the stores I bought the etched JW Blue bottle.

IMG_1816_zpsayxkkhi6.jpg

IMG_1614_zpse93nnurf.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsrssj7nvc.jpg

IMG_1616_zpsm6j9bzbz.jpg

,What to do for dinner? Here's the MDR menu

IMG_1824_zpspgajwlvb.jpg

Nothing really grabbed me at first so I wandered up to the Oceanview buffet. Nothing there looked inspiring. Then when I saw the Hamburgers, I decided to go to the MDR.

IMG_1825_zpsjaiqp1wk.jpg

I ordered the French onion soup. The top was cool but once I mixed it up, it was very hot on the bottom so it was fine.

I also ordered the Steak Dianne. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised. The cut was thicker. The flavor was very good. It's been the best MDR entree for me this cruise. I skipped dessert.

Then I meandered to the WC bar for a single JW Platinum before heading to bed. I had been awake since 4am with no nap.

The show which I skipped was, according to Celebrity Today, David Austen. "A spectacular show dedicated to the best of old and new with music from Josh Groban, Ed Sheeran, Tom Jones, Neil Diamond, John Legend, Stevie Wonder, Sam Smith, various musical theatre productions and classical pieces from Bocelli and Pavarotti." uh huh, that's the way, uh huh...oh never mind. lol

The internet speed really picked up for me. I have run into several people who said they've had absolutely no problems with wifi and it's the fastest they've had on a ship. I'm wondering if my local transmitter may be the problem or my cabin location.

Usually on TV Fox News, MSNBC, & CNBC are available but they haven't been since we came into St. Maarten.

I bought four bottles at one store that I've purchased from twice before. They're delivering to the ship tomorrow. I bought one bottle at another store and carried it. When I entered the ship, nobody was collecting liquor to hold, so I have the JW Blue engraved bottle in my cabin.

The store where I purchased the four bottles wanted cash or would charge an up charge for the purchase. The other store where I bought the Blue allowed Credit Cards with no up charge. Also the Store that wanted cash matched the pricing of the other store. When I began telling her what the other store was charging, she already knew. I just had to keep em honest. They don't want you walking. So make sure you ask if they'll match pricing.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We have classic package...are you saying we can get drinks at Martini Bar? Martinis included?

A lot of the martinis on the menu are priced at $13...well above the classic limit. However they do have a smaller version of a martini that will work with your package.

When ordering, I suggest you mention to them up front that you have the classic package. Then ask if they can make your drink under the package. They're great bartenders and will give you guidance. You also don't have to order a martini and can get other types of drinks.

We will be self disembarking. We are hoping to be off by 7am...if you could please let me know what time they are predicting. Thank you.

If you're on the Equinox right now, this is in Celebrity Today this morning.

"If you wish to disembark early upon our arrival in Fort Lauderdale, you can enroll in the Self Assist Program. This will allow you to walk off the ship at approximately 7:30am The program is offered to guests only that do not need additional assistance, as guests must carry their own luggage off the ship. If you have any questions or would like to sign up for the Self Assist Program, please contact the Guest Relations Desk located on Deck 3 to help you with additional information and instructions."

I have been "CON"ned by my TA on this trip. I just checked my OBC and saw that the TA OBC is listed as non refundable. I went to Guest Relations and they told me the agency that "CON"ned me submitted it as non refundable.

This is the first time I've had a TA submit it that way. The $150 included a $100 holiday sign up and a $50 loyalty bonus. So now I have to spend it or lose it. Speaking of losing, they have now lost my business.

Hi Steve

Sorry about your TA.

At least its only $150 but still an expensive lesson.

What are the addresses of the St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street and

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street liquor stores?

(or are 2 and 3 Front Street their addresses?)

My husband usually buys Glenlivet or GlenFidditch Scotchs. Do you think the price comparisons would be similar?

I bought four bottles at one store that I've purchased from twice before. They're delivering to the ship tomorrow. I bought one bottle at another store and carried it. When I entered the ship, nobody was collecting liquor to hold, so I have the JW Blue engraved bottle in my cabin.

Customs only allows one bottle per person.

What is the duty on the overage?

Hi Steve

Sorry about your TA. At least its only $150 but still an expensive lesson.

What are the addresses of the St. Maartin G location 2 Front Street and

St. Maartin F location 3 Front Street liquor stores? (or are 2 and 3 Front Street their addresses?) My husband usually buys Glenlivet or GlenFidditch Scotchs. Do you think the price comparisons would be similar?

The numbers 1,2,3 was my way of keeping the stores straight as I went through my notepad sheets. The two stores are on Front Street and the other is on Boardwalk along the beach where the water taxi docks.

On Front Street, the Letters F & G refer to the first letter of the store's name. I didn't want to specifically say their names, but you can't confuse them once you walk Front Street. One is on the left side and the other is on the right side regardless of the direction you're walking. :D

I can't speek for your specific brands so you'll just have to price them yourself. Also the prices I posted were as of yesterday. I can't predict what they'll be when you actually arrive here.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Customs only allows one bottle per person.

What is the duty on the overage?

According to the Customs Duty Information page from US Customs,

"Determining Customs Duty

The flat duty rate will apply to articles that are dutiable but that cannot be included in your personal exemption, even if you have not exceeded the exemption. For example, alcoholic beverages. If you return from Europe with $200 worth of purchases, including two liters of liquor, one liter will be duty-free under your returning resident personal allowance/exemption. The other will be dutiable at 3 percent, plus any Internal Revenue Tax (IRT) that is due.

A joint declaration is a Customs declaration that can be made by family members who live in the same household and return to the United States together. These travelers can combine their purchases to take advantage of a combined flat duty rate, no matter which family member owns a given item. The combined value of merchandise subject to a flat duty rate for a family of four traveling together would be $4,000. Purchase totals must be rounded to the nearest dollar amount."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I have been "CON"ned by my TA on this trip. I just checked my OBC and saw that the TA OBC is listed as non refundable. I went to Guest Relations and they told me the agency that "CON"ned me submitted it as non refundable.

This is the first time I've had a TA submit it that way. The $150 included a $100 holiday sign up and a $50 loyalty bonus. So now I have to spend it or lose it. Speaking of losing, they have now lost my business.

Thank you for posting. I have the same amount from same TA, so now I know. For various reasons, I am looking around for another agency. I do have one on the books with them, but, there will be no future ones.

Marie

TommyD3,

Here's more Customs liquor info regarding the US Virgin Islands which we did visit St. Thomas. One of my bottles was Cruzin Rum which qualifies as made in the USVI.

What can I bring back from the Caribbean?

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the countries.

The duty exemption for travelers returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands is $1,600. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in the U.S. Virgin Islands (keep your receipt). You may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/544/~/items-which-can-be-brought-back-from-the-caribbean-duty-free

I declare everything. If they want to charge me duty, I'll willingly pay it. (Like I have an option?) Previously when I've been over the limit, I've been waived through without being charged duty.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Darn... I hope I don't get "Con"'d as I suspect I use the same big online TA and they always gave me refundable onboard credit.....

I'll check early and spend it if I have to I guess.... ChucktownSteve, did you have time to use up the OBC?

Darn... I hope I don't get "Con"'d as I suspect I use the same big online TA and they always gave me refundable onboard credit.....

I'll check early and spend it if I have to I guess.... ChucktownSteve, did you have time to use up the OBC?

I have $450 OBC for a six night cruise, $300 from Celebrity, $150 from TA. I think we will dine at Sushi on 5 when we get on board, upgrade our beverage package, gratuities, and use the rest on liquor, I suppose. We are driving so it makes it easy to transport the liquor.

Marie

I have $450 OBC for a six night cruise, $300 from Celebrity, $150 from TA. I think we will dine at Sushi on 5 when we get on board, upgrade our beverage package, gratuities, and use the rest on liquor, I suppose. We are driving so it makes it easy to transport the liquor.

Marie

Can't buy any booze. :( Flying and don't do luggage. :cool:

Would you ask I Made ( That is actually on his name badge) if he was on the Silhouette this summer? We sailed Silhouette this last May in the Baltics and I Made was the bar tender at the Martini bar. For my 60th birthday he set up a poor of martinis at different levels(I poured them all at once) that was a treat and celebration. Would you ask if he will be there in February when we sail Equinox? Thanks

Thanks for the great review! Equinox is a great ship - we sail in her again in Oct '17.

We sailed with I Made on Ininfity in Jan, South America. He was the bartender at the Sunset Bar. We loved him and witnessed him and a few other bartenders and servers experience their first snowfall in Ushuaia, Chile. What fun! Tell him Tamara Hughes says hello, and I'd like a Zacapa! He may remember me!

Sounds like you've got a great crew on board! Enjoy!

OKAY, over and out, headed to Ft. Lauderdale to board the Regal Princess on December 18-29, then the Eclipse Jan 2-8. I sure am going to miss my drink package while sailing Princess. Steve, thanks so much for sharing your cruise with us. I know you have missed your wife like crazy, but, I think it was a smart move to take the cruise for double points. We hope to meet you and your wife on a future cruise!

Marie