Zika Question??

ACoupleAtSea

In August 2016, the CDC listed a warning for the Bahamas. That doesn't specifically mention Castaway Cay.

As far as I know, DCL is not taking any special actions; if they are/do, they tend to be quiet about such thing as they cannot guarantee results. My suggestion is that you take your own precautions with appropriate insect repellant, etc. One good thing is that the ship is not on the island at dawn or dusk which tend to be the most active times for insects.

Reason for concern? That's a decision for each individual. If I were pregnant or planning to become pregnant, I wouldn't be cruising to the Caribbean. But that's me, not any official recommendation. There is nothing to indicate that Castaway Cay is any more risky than any other island.

Edited by moki'smommy

In August 2016' date=' the CDC listed a warning for the Bahamas. That doesn't specifically mention Castaway Cay.

As far as I know, DCL is not taking any special actions; if they are/do, they tend to be quiet about such thing as they cannot guarantee results. My suggestion is that you take your own precautions with appropriate insect repellant, etc. [b']One good thing is that the ship is not on the island at dawn or dusk which tend to be the most active times for insects.[/b]

Reason for concern? That's a decision for each individual. If I were pregnant or planning to become pregnant, I wouldn't be cruising to the Caribbean. But that's me, not any official recommendation. There is nothing to indicate that Castaway Cay is any more risky than any other island.

Unfortunately, the zika-carrying mosquitoes are daytime feeders.

That being said, I'm not sure if they are on Castaway Cay, or not. But I agree that using bug repellent is a great idea.

I've read, but no experience of to 100% verify, that DCL are offering a DEET containing anti-mosquito repellent spray for use when disembarking the ship, but after that initial use, it is up to the Guest to refresh it.

As for using pesticides to prevent mosquitos, they *might* fog the island before Guests arrive, but I doubt it as the fog insecticide can impact other species of insects as well.

Basically, bring insect repellant containing DEET yourself, apply liberally and often, and do not cruise to southern areas if you are or are planning to have a child.

ex techie

I have been to Castaway Cay twice since Zika warnings hit. There are large bottles of Picardin lotion for you to pump out and put on at tables next to the antibacterial gel as you get off the ship--I also noticed it in Nassau two weeks ago. I did not see it in Key West but honestly wasn't looking so it could have been. I pretty much tripped over it on CC and Nassau, it was that obviously placed.

My older son is doing Semester at Sea right now and so has cruised all over the world in the last 4 months and we also had to pack him Picardin lotion-not aerosol DEET for environmental reasons in places like the Amazon, Machu Picchu and Galapagos.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

you will be there during daylight which is NOT when mosquitoes are very active. Bahamas and Florida are pretty much the same as far as weather and warnings go.

Please educate yourself before spreading misinformation.

Through mosquito bites

Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito (Ae. aegypti and Ae. albopictus). These are the same mosquitoes that spread dengue and chikungunya viruses.

These mosquitoes typically lay eggs in and near standing water in things like buckets, bowls, animal dishes, flower pots and vases. They prefer to bite people, and live indoors and outdoors near people.

Mosquitoes that spread chikungunya, dengue, and Zika are aggressive daytime biters, but they can also bite at night.

Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/transmission/

SHM.

ex techie

I wonder if there are any mosquitos on Castaway and if there are, i wonder if Zika has made its way to castaway

As the Bahamas as a region, and south Florida and the Caribbean islands have Zika mosquitoes, it is a fair assumption that CC could also have them.

I posted the CDC information above disproving the poor misinformation the likes of board hoppers like cb at sea offer, and encourage you to read the advisories from the CDC, and not just opinions of Cruise Critic members.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/active-countries.html

ex techie

• 3 weeks later...
Any updates from Castaway from recent cruisers???

Are you seriously asking if anyone has had an insect bite in the past 16 days since you asked, been tested, the bite specified as a mosquito bite and diagnosed with the Zika virus?

The CDC and DCL will tell you if there are increased risks.

And the mainstream media would have a field day of a reported Zika outbreak "At Disney's Private Island Paradise".

ex techie

Are you seriously asking if anyone has had an insect bite in the past 16 days since you asked, been tested, the bite specified as a mosquito bite and diagnosed with the Zika virus?

The CDC and DCL will tell you if there are increased risks.

And the mainstream media would have a field day of a reported Zika outbreak "At Disney's Private Island Paradise".

ex techie

i doubt anyone would be able to pinpoint the offending bite to CC when the person would have also visited nassau and florida, or florida, CC and various islands in the caribbean...