HAL trans- pacific crossing

CJcruzer

On HAL's north Pacific crossing from Yokohama to Vancouver, there is a stop (over night) for Osaka.

Does the ship actually port in Osaka, or Kobe.

The itinerary does not mention Kobe (Osaka ), it simply states Osaka. Some people on the roll call seem to think it is Kobe where we are docked.

Edited by CJcruzer

The times we've been on this cruise, the port has been Kobe.

Docking right in the town, very convenient location. Great places to see near the ship.

The port schedule has the Volendam in Kobe April 13 but not overnight. Hmm.

A GREAT cruise! Enjoy!

PS: google "Osaka cruise ship terminal" and you get the Kobe schedule which lists the ship, as noted above. There is a map and a list of things to do. You do not need to take the PortLiner in to the city, but it is a cheap and easy way to get into the city and back.

Edited by SilvertoGold

the ship overnights April 13/14. Have been to Kobe before, so I know the convenience of the port liner..... We had wanted to spend the first day in Osaka (have been to Kyoto, Nara on previous trip) - so iif in Kbe, it will mean train to Osaka.

The funny thing is, there are no port excursions for Kobe, and I know last cruise (Celebrity) there were trips up to Mt. Rokko, sake brewery/museum.... So I am wondering if we are in Kobe at all? Seems strange that the only HAL excursions are to Kyoto, Nara and for Osaka (castle, temple, etc) - none for Kobe.

Edited by CJcruzer

The times we've been on this cruise, the port has been Kobe.

Docking right in the town, very convenient location. Great places to see near the ship.

The port schedule has the Volendam in Kobe April 13 but not overnight. Hmm.

A GREAT cruise! Enjoy!

PS: google "Osaka cruise ship terminal" and you get the Kobe schedule which lists the ship, as noted above. There is a map and a list of things to do. You do not need to take the PortLiner in to the city, but it is a cheap and easy way to get into the city and back.

I used http://www.cruisetimetables.com and it says Kobe (under April 13 8 AM +1/4 PM - which is correct in that we port overnight and leave the next day at 4 PM

I will plan accordingly, probably spend second day in Kobe.

The funny thing is, there are no port excursions for Kobe, and I know last cruise (Celebrity) there were trips up to Mt. Rokko, sake brewery/museum.... So I am wondering if we are in Kobe at all? Seems strange that the only HAL excursions are to Kyoto, Nara and for Osaka (castle, temple, etc) - none for Kobe.

I was on a cruise in 2014 and we docked in Kobe but the cruise line (Cunard) only offered excursions to Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, and the Shinkansen to Hiroshima - nothing for Kobe. More money for longer excursions perhaps?;)

I was on a cruise in 2014 and we docked in Kobe but the cruise line (Cunard) only offered excursions to Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, and the Shinkansen to Hiroshima - nothing for Kobe. More money for longer excursions perhaps?;)

Same for the 2012 Grand Asia. You have to checkout the Kobe beef. There is a special stall in the terminal with restaurant maps that had tons of info. We had lunch at Steakland and it was amazing! Lines were down the block when we left. Did like the town as we wandered after lunch.

I used http://www.cruisetimetables.com and it says Kobe (under April 13 8 AM +1/4 PM - which is correct in that we port overnight and leave the next day at 4 PM

I will plan accordingly, probably spend second day in Kobe.

You might consider taking the train from Kobe to Himji. An easy short ride, a straightforward walk to the castle where there is a lot to see, both castle and grounds.

We have taken the train from Kobe to Himeji before, but thanks for the tip!

I just called HAL reservations, and they definitely have down we are docking at Tempozan pier, in Osaka and overnighting there.

I know some of the websites for cruise docking and ship arrivals can be slightly inaccurate - or perhaps HAL negotiated Osaka docking site after the cruise table was published.

Edited by CJcruzer