December WB TA log

BlueRiband

Yesterday was another full on day and despite the motion mentioned by Blueriband life onboard Queen Mary 2 carried on much as normal - okay, the Planatarium was cancelled for safety reasons but most seasoned Cunarders have that ticked off anyway.

The Christmas spirit is in full flow...

31633551671_50cc0f675b_z.jpg

The Gingerbread village even having a working railway and carousel...

30940102143_b6d56a36ba_z.jpg

Our pre-lunch drinks in our friend's Duplex went off well- indeed we were grateful to the Butlers canapé service as we continued to party well after lunch had finished.

WE were rather amused to see the Christmas tree Cunard had provided for the Duplex...

30908110314_9f11a39d77_z.jpg

...which kind of put our own personal one somewhat in the shade...

31712258016_453385c80a_z.jpg

One tree we aren't too pleased with when ordering my wife's slimline tonic for her gin in the Commodore Club or Royal Court Theatre...

31377135800_cdcdecd167_z.jpg

Late afternoon was the Christmas Tea Dance in the Queens Room....

31712232546_19077db032_z.jpg

...and the queues prior to opening were quite long.

What a shame so many make no effort at a reasonable standard of dress to enhance the ambiance.

Its not just the 'Ocean Book' products that are missing.

31602925612_9f6b94b346_z.jpg

I usually like to buy one or two of the Computer and Photoshop tutorial books: all these have gone too.

I asked the girl in the shop about availability and was told very simply that it was not the 'New' Company's policy to stock these items any more.

Thanks for posting this. Looks pretty thin, unfortunately. What's filling the space if they don't have books?

Monday night, 4th sea day

Moderate/rough seas, wind force 4

There's a long delay in my postings as the internet is horribly sluggish. No problems getting a WiFi signal but even the login is taking very long.

The pitching has largely subsided and we are now doing almost 22 knots. At the World Club party Captain Oprey quipped that if we had gone any further south we could have stopped at the Azores. The other day I had heard the same whirring sound as just before we left New York on the EB – I think it was the turbines starting up. It was mentioned before that the turbines are used in NY harbor, and they may have been kicked in again to make up time. We had been slowed to about 15 knots while riding the swells plus we had been tracking much further south than normal for this time of year. At the moment our heading is 264deg.

One note about the PG – off menu requests are now honored. The request has to be put in the evening before.

I'm hoping American politics doesn't come up on my voyage. It's too likely that there will be differences of strongly-held opinion. And it's too likely that I'd be unable to sit quietly in the face of it.

Underwatr, I worried about that too, so for our post-election QM2 Caribbean cruise, I booked a table for two (hubby & me)...but you know how it goes, passengers get to chatting in various venues around the ship. Inevitably, we met some very nice people and while we did not all share exactly the same political views, conversations were informative and polite, albeit the President Elect was a relative short subject of conversation.

Best wishes to you and your wife for a very pleasant cruise! Happy Holidays -S.

Blue Riband, snail paced internet connections present a nasty challenge - thanks for persevering! Weather forecast for your arrival in NY is favourable.

BTW, did you spend any time in the new Carinthia Lounge? I just passed by and took a look one afternoon. Maybe it looks more inviting in the evening?

Regards,

Salacia

Blue Riband, snail paced internet connections present a nasty challenge - thanks for persevering! Weather forecast for your arrival in NY is favourable.

BTW, did you spend any time in the new Carinthia Lounge? I just passed by and took a look one afternoon. Maybe it looks more inviting in the evening?

Regards,

Salacia

Not all of us are experiencing internet problems. My MacBook Air is working fine and I am able to upload my photographs pretty easily.

The only area that I have found difficult was in Illuminations where the wifi signal was dreadfully weak.

I put that down to possible deliberate obstruction to deter folk having their iPhones on during talks.

Good morning from a considerably calmer Atlantic.

As previously stated last night was the World Club CTP. Star of the show were the top sailors with 1300 nights onboard Cunard ships…

31647844751_7887b58432_z.jpg

The same couple joined the ship for the full Christmas and New Year cruise with a back to back Full world cruise: They joined in Southampton on 15 December 2016 and will depart at Southampton in May 2017

I was encouraged to take in the Nicki Chapman Insight talk yesterday and wasn't disappointed: Cunard really pick some interesting and quality speakers. The only downside for me personally is that on this crossing there are no dedicated ‘Political’ speakers.

Also yesterday we lunched at The Veranda. While the meal was good, I had the Seared Sea Scallops Minestrone...

31764087415_c588651713_z.jpg

...the overall ambiance was disappointing. Those that must smoke on deck continue to infringe on the dining experience.

Tonight we have invitations to the Senior Officer’s CTP and the dress code is Formal.

Monday night, 4th sea day

Moderate/rough seas, wind force 4

There's a long delay in my postings as the internet is horribly sluggish. No problems getting a WiFi signal but even the login is taking very long.

The pitching has largely subsided and we are now doing almost 22 knots. At the World Club party Captain Oprey quipped that if we had gone any further south we could have stopped at the Azores. The other day I had heard the same whirring sound as just before we left New York on the EB – I think it was the turbines starting up. It was mentioned before that the turbines are used in NY harbor, and they may have been kicked in again to make up time. We had been slowed to about 15 knots while riding the swells plus we had been tracking much further south than normal for this time of year. At the moment our heading is 264deg.

One note about the PG – off menu requests are now honored. The request has to be put in the evening before.

We seem to have missed each other again BT.

Maybe at the Senior Officer's Party this evening?

31391697150_3653838f58_z.jpg

Good morning from a considerably calmer Atlantic.

As previously stated last night was the World Club CTP. Star of the show were the top sailors with 1300 nights onboard Cunard ships…

The same couple joined the ship for the full Christmas and New Year cruise with a back to back Full world cruise: They joined in Southampton on 15 December 2016 and will depart at Southampton in May 2017

I was encouraged to take in the Nicki Chapman Insight talk yesterday and wasn't disappointed: Cunard really pick some interesting and quality speakers. The only downside for me personally is that on this crossing there are no dedicated ‘Political’ speakers.

Also yesterday we lunched at The Veranda. While the meal was good, I had the Seared Sea Scallops Minestrone...

31764087415_c588651713_z.jpg

...the overall ambiance was disappointing. Those that must smoke on deck continue to infringe on the dining experience.

Tonight we have invitations to the Senior Officer’s CTP and the dress code is Formal.

The Only Designated cigarette smoking area is now on QM2 is Aft Deck 7. which is aft of the Grills.

So if passengers are smoking aft on Deck 8 They clearly have no respect for their fellow passengers.

Did you try The Rum Babas ? when served in The Veranda are in my opinion excellent.

IMG_0449.jpg.7c75d76f60816b65e9f69d35bbf8ed95.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg.32a0e57133b9e6b64f6157e4dbaf63b9.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

I'm posting this from Connexxions, where at least the internet isn't going through a WiFi router. Still sluggish so it isn't any of my equipment, although many of the complaints going on in back of me concern iPads.

We're doing 19 knots today in weather that is calmer (slight sea state) but much colder. We have heavy overcast but if it clears in the late evening the telescopes will be brought out on deck 12. I hope so as I've yet to have a clear TA star filled night.

Today was the first time that I had a chance for Afternoon Tea, and I chose to take this in the Grills Lounge. It's nice and intimate. Not the grand occasion as the main one in the Queens Room but some days have had people lining up like a Black Friday sale. Guess the miserable weather contributes to the popularity.

The Gingerbread Village near the deck 3 C stair area keeps adding different attractions! The confectionery staff probably isn't done yet!

I made some conversation with a stylist and learned that two had no previous experience and a ship before and they found working on a moving floor challenging. When the ship was really pitching one had to cancel his appointments - he works with a straight razor. (This should also explain why medical centers on modern ships don't have operating theaters!)

I'm planning to be there. This will be the last event that I'll see hosted by Captain Oprey if he is calling it a career.

Hi BT.

Having spent most of last night's World Club Party chatting to Cheryl Oprey tonight may not be your last.

Do come over for a chat this evening: I don't bite.

Edited by Solent Richard

During the course of last night’s World Club CTP the traditional list of ‘Loyalty’ statistics were read out by the Loyalty manager, Hinano Yeo, that's her on the right of the picture, known more popularly as Yoyo. They went something like this…

Passengers onboard 2,540

(19 dogs and 1 Cat not included in above figure)

New to Cunard 1,108

Silver members 317

Gold members 619

Platinum members 295

Diamond members 201

The added voyages/cruises of the Gold, Platinum and Diamond members totalled 8,260 and the number of days these passengers had spent with Cunard equalled 103,224 days.

Thats 282 years for those with a calculator at hand.

During the course of last night’s World Club CTP the traditional list of ‘Loyalty’ statistics were read out by the Loyalty manager, Hinano Yeo, that's her on the right of the picture, known more popularly as Yoyo. They went something like this…

Passengers onboard 2,540

(19 dogs and 1 Cat not included in above figure)

New to Cunard 1,108

Silver members 317

Gold members 619

Platinum members 295

Diamond members 201

The added voyages/cruises of the Gold, Platinum and Diamond members totalled 8,260 and the number of days these passengers had spent with Cunard equalled 103,224 days.

Thats 282 years for those with a calculator at hand.

Well more than half the passengers are returning for another Cunard crossing!

I wonder if any other large ship has such a following? My November 10 crossing World Club party was jam packed..any more and they will have to split the party over 2 nights!

Well more than half the passengers are returning for another Cunard crossing!

I wonder if any other large ship has such a following? My November 10 crossing World Club party was jam packed..any more and they will have to split the party over 2 nights!

There were actually tandem parties on this crossing. As a Grills passenger we were given the choice of times.

Good morning from QM2 on the final full day of her last Trans-Atlantic voyage of 2016.

Firstly let me add two more figures to the statistics I added yesterday:-

There are 35 nationalities amongst the passengers. Just over 1,000 British and just over 700 from the United States. The next largest contingent are Germans at 50 in number.

There are 600 currently onboard who are completing the full Southampton to Southampton voyage.

Here’s a shot of Nicki Chapman’s presentation the other day. She is back this morning in the Royal Court Theatre, with a Q & A session…

31747734476_75c8a5efc6_z.jpg

Yesterday I attended a presentation given by the ultimate Cunard ‘anorak, Mr Cunard himself, Brian Hawley. Entitled ‘The Route of the Unrushables’ Brian had some amazing material mainly gathered from the Caronia. Another worthwhile Insights presentation…

31747741416_228d40377d_z.jpg

Last night we enjoyed an excellent Senior Officer’s CTP, enhanced by the fact many guests were dressed ready for the ‘Roaring 20s Ball and many male passengers sporting their military medals…

31747695996_1e348cb81a_z.jpg

Unfortunately not all events live up to expectation. Billed as the brand new Queen Mary 2 production extravaganza, Rhythm of the Night’, was little more than a change of costume and dance routine from the previous show Apassionata.

I also took the opportunity to have a look at how Princess Grill has fared post the remaster…

31637457572_5f7dbf1501_z.jpg

30975118203_a237464e24_z.jpg

31637437092_80a57c1b7b_z.jpg

And finally a little moan. Tonight there is a second Caribbean Band night in the Queens Room. Billed as a ‘Homecoming Party Night’ the resident Queens Room Orchestra appear to have the night off as will those who love to ballroom dance.

Grrrrr.

Edited by Solent Richard

And finally, finally a note on the food.

On one of his walk arounds at last nights dinner I couldn't resist telling our Maitre d', Osman, that, having sailed Seaboard as recently as November, the food quality, presentation and service in the Queens Grill outstrips that we experienced on Seaboard.

He actually agreed with me adding that he had worked on Seaboard some years ago.

Sorry we didn't meet up at the Senior Officers party - a kimono would have been hard to miss.

I did however have a chance to chat with a few of the officers, as I make a point of trying to do so. One handles immigration matters for the ship. We don't often see anybody from the medical staff, but one person was there. As part of getting familiarized with the ship in case of medical emergency, this person had been down into one of the pods with two engineering people.

An officer from engineering works with electrical systems. The other day I wrote here that I thought I heard the turbines powering up before we left NYC. Yes, they are used in NY especially when they are cutting over from shore side power. The turbines maintain hotel services when he change is being made. The officer had been on QE2 when she lost power for about a half hour. I was really creepy to be below the water line with the ship silent and the water lapping against the hull. Much as this person love to go back, it was acknowledged that getting crew members to sign on for 4 berth cabins and communal bathrooms would be a hard sell.

Last night we had about 1/4 cloud cover and could see some stars but no the intense star field that might be observed with a completely clear sky. We're also down to slight sea state and only force 2 winds, so the last few days have been pretty steady on board.

The lobby is in full discount market mode. As much as some of us might find it tacky it's an obvious money maker for the ship or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Sorry we didn't meet up at the Senior Officers party - a kimono would have been hard to miss.

Especially when I wasn't expecting it BR.

Some people will obviously go to extraordinary lengths to preserve their anonymity.

Edited by Solent Richard

The lobby is in full discount market mode. As much as some of us might find it tacky it's an obvious money maker for the ship or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Or, on the other side of the coin, today's Cunard passengers seem to enjoy spending their dollars on board...

30981231833_034e32a00d_z.jpg

Wednesday, last sea day

Container ship on an intercept course: Late afternoon a container ship appeared on the horizon and headed in our direction. After paralleling us for a bit it then headed eastbound. The ship’s track strongly suggests that they spotted QM2 on their radar and then deviated to take a closer look. It’s not the first time that I have seen this happen. Quite a sight she must be on the ocean from afar.

Christmas caroling in the Grand Lobby was something of a surprise – one that I didn’t recognize seems to be very popular in British use and O Little Town of Bethlehem has an entirely different melody from that used in the US. It was also the only time that I heard carols with any religious reference as the rest of any background Christmas music was entirely secular.

The last day was the best weather wise. It started out raining but cleared and at times the sun broke through. We were able to observe a gorgeous purple and orange sunset. One of the last evening events that I take in is a classical piano recital in the Carinthia Lounge. I don’t know if the activity there has taken away any business from the Chart Room or Commodore Club. Perhaps not, since it is on the main promenade deck and people don’t have to travel down or up to get to a bar. But it seems to be finding its own following.

Despite the earlier pitching slowing us down, we are due to arrive on time in NY, passing under the bridge about 5AM. As Payne often mentions, one of the things that makes a liner a liner is reserve power.

The last night is bittersweet. It’s always sad to leave her teak decks but I’d rather regret leaving QM2 rather than be happy to get off.