Any way to change air?

JennJ99738

So, I'm on the West Indies Explorer on Feb. 15th. I got my air and I don't arrive until almost 7:30 pm on the 15th, so while technically I'm not missing any time, I am missing most of the first day. I'm meeting my mom for the cruise and she gets in around nice and early at 1:45 pm.

There is no custom air on this itinerary for whatever reason. American Airlines' website says I must contact travel agent to change this ticket. I wondered if there was any possible way to pay to change my ticket to arrive a day earlier at my expense? I could fly one way myself for $190 which is shockingly cheap. I guess I could have done this myself but, hey, it was included, right?!

Just asking to cure my own curiosity about this.

So, I'm on the West Indies Explorer on Feb. 15th. I got my air and I don't arrive until almost 7:30 pm on the 15th, so while technically I'm not missing any time, I am missing most of the first day. I'm meeting my mom for the cruise and she gets in around nice and early at 1:45 pm.

There is no custom air on this itinerary for whatever reason. American Airlines' website says I must contact travel agent to change this ticket. I wondered if there was any possible way to pay to change my ticket to arrive a day earlier at my expense? I could fly one way myself for $190 which is shockingly cheap. I guess I could have done this myself but, hey, it was included, right?!

Just asking to cure my own curiosity about this.

There is no custom air for the itinerary and therefore no way of paying Viking to make a change on the flight. You could call American and ask them but since Viking is your travel agent in this case, even on the phone, American may insist that you work through your travel agent.

It might not be too late to buy your own ticket. Do some research on availability and pricing and then talk to Viking about the cancellation policy for air arrangements (just to make sure that you aren't facing some sort of fee/penalty).

Do check with Viking for possibilities. Even if you buy a ticket to get there are you still going to be able to use Viking's return ticket since you didn't take the initial flight?

I'm new to cruising and really don't understand the idea of getting you to the ship late on the first day of the cruise and in most cases causing you to miss the first port if you sail on day one. I cancelled my air through Viking for my cruise as I could get it cheaper than what they were offering and in order to go early and stay later on my own, the already inflated price kept escalating. Now it wasn't free but I didn't have $800 to throw away either. Best decision I ever made

Do check with Viking for possibilities. Even if you buy a ticket to get there are you still going to be able to use Viking's return ticket since you didn't take the initial flight?

I'm new to cruising and really don't understand the idea of getting you to the ship late on the first day of the cruise and in most cases causing you to miss the first port if you sail on day one. I cancelled my air through Viking for my cruise as I could get it cheaper than what they were offering and in order to go early and stay later on my own, the already inflated price kept escalating. Now it wasn't free but I didn't have $800 to throw away either. Best decision I ever made

From my understanding of air travel, if you miss the first leg of travel, the airline will cancel the return ticket. Believe me, I would love to do that. I'll try calling American and then my travel agent. I agree with you but it's difficult to fly from the western states to the Caribbean. I wish they had flown me on a redeye.

We are in Idaho and have a redeye to SanJuan around 1PM for the Feb 15th cruise. I would definitely call Viking direct. They were excellent in helping us extend our Med Ody cruise last year. I'm sure they will work with you to change your ticket, if another flight has seats available.

Feb 15, 2017 Viking Star - Caribbean

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star – Med Odyssey

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2004 Carnival

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

Edited by Jtm1979
adding comments......

So, my TA contacted Viking and they are charging me $100 "air deviation fee" and $350 for a change fee. That's outrageous but I'm doing it because I want to be able to relax after what I've been going through this year. But it makes me very mad!!! I can book an entirely new trip for ~$500.

So, my TA contacted Viking and they are charging me $100 "air deviation fee" and $350 for a change fee. That's outrageous but I'm doing it because I want to be able to relax after what I've been going through this year. But it makes me very mad!!! I can book an entirely new trip for ~$500.

The air deviation is the standard fee for anyone not arriving on Day 1 or departing on the last day of the cruise/cruisetour. Some of the $350 could include fees or additional airfare charged by the airline. Also, if you are not arriving on Day 1, you will have to make your own transfers to your hotel and then to the ship.

Edited by Peregrina651

The air deviation is the standard fee for anyone not arriving on Day 1 or departing on the last day of the cruise/cruisetour. Some of the $350 could include fees or additional airfare charged by the airline. Also, if you are not arriving on Day 1, you will have to make your own transfers to your hotel and then to the ship.

I understand all of that. I still think it's way too much. The change fee alone is more than the flight one way. I am also upset with the airline, too. A change fee should not be more than the fare itself. I'm tempted to tell Viking to forget about it if my TA hasn't booked the ticket yet and just book my own air.

Edited by JennJ99738

Unfortunately that is a pretty standard air change fee with most airlines with 'non-refundable' fares....which the majority of people book due to the difference in pricing compared to 'fully refundable'.

There are most certainly advantages and disadvantages to allowing any cruise line to be in charge of your air....it really is a roll of the dice.....not just with Viking.....these charges appear in line with other cruise lines that I have seen. The $350 is on the airline, and the $100 is on Viking for custom air.

That said, I am not defending them - and I get your frustration. I am just suggesting that this is common practice in both the cruise and airline industries. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this disappointment.