Alaska- Coral Or Diamond??

Cruiser_Guy

We are still deciding between the Coral and the Diamond to sail through Alaska with. We just sailed the Coral through Alaska in August and LOVED it. The Diamond seems like a nice ship but it is smaller. WWCCD? (LOL What would Cruisecritic do?)

Joe

I am not a fan of the Grand class layout (thankfully they did make some improvements with the Diamond and Sapphire) but it really isn't enough. On the other side, the Coral and Island have an excellent layout. The layout on the Grand class just seems cut-up to me while it seems to flow on the Coral Princess.

Also - IMO, service on Princess seems to be much better on the Sun and Coral class ships. When you get up to size of the Grand class ships - service seems to slip or doesn't seem as personal. On the Sun class and Coral class - it just seems so much more personalized and more precise.

Also - one of the best naturalists on Princess for Alaska is Barbara and she has been on the Coral Princess for the last 3 years - hopefully you will have her next summer.

My heart is set with the Coral but it just seems like there would be more to do on the Diamond. What are your thoughts on that?

Again, IMO, the Coral Princess offers all the great amenities of a large ship but has the small ship feel. I seriously did not miss anything when being on the Coral Princess (compared to Grand class).

The only complaint I have heard about the Coral Princess is that there isn't a dedicated nightclub/skywalkers/club fusion type room. They take a lounge and transform it to a disco type room late at night. You have been on the ship - so you are familiar with the lounges. This is the only thing I believe that you would gain on the Diamond/Sapphire.

I've been on the Diamond twice and thought she was one of the most beautiful ships I've ever been on. Will be trying the Sapphire this month and back to the Diamond next year. I thought the crew on the Diamond were all wonderful and had an absolutely fantastic time sailing to Alaska and Mexican Riviera. Of course I've never had a bad cruise so maybe I'm just not that difficult to please.;) :D I've never been on the Coral so I can't really comment. I'm sure I'd love it like all the other ships. Since you've already been on the Coral, why not give the Diamond a try?

Well, its been decided. We are going to sail on the Coral. The total difference between the two trips (incl. air, hotel, train, cruise) is over $500. About $460 of it is airfare and about $20 of it is cruise. We can use that $500 on something else more important like shore excursions or bingo LOL.

The Coral Princess is the right decision. I noticed the people who said the Diamond and Sapphire are better had not been on the Coral or Island Princess. The Diamond and Sapphire are built on the Grand Class design which is just too big. Especially for Alaska. For people who have been on both classes, the large majority will tell you the Coral Princess is the better choice.

Archived