12/2017 Cruises Almost All Sold Out?

bzv143

I went online yesterday to check on pricing and availability for a December cruise on Viking, and almost all categories on all ships were "sold out." Is this true? It is a year in advance! Yikes! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I went online yesterday to check on pricing and availability for a December cruise on Viking, and almost all categories on all ships were "sold out." Is this true? It is a year in advance! Yikes! [emoji15]

Yes, sometimes , I've had to book 18 months in advance. I just booked the Caribbean/South American cruise for February 2018

When I first signed with Viking, it was March '14, shortly after their launch but no ships had been built, for a Sept '16 cruise. Yes, two and a half years out. Viking seems to have this way of doing things. They open the cruise to US first. Later it will be available elsewhere. (I found this out on my cruise as a fellow passenger from England wanted to book a cruise that was not yet available in UK. That's if you were calling in but being on the ship she was able to arrange it) Each area seems to have different promotions and those promotions don't cross boundaries.

Early on, as I remember, payment was required very early but that policy has relaxed some over time. Though the perks may change as time goes on, each one seems to have an urgency to book by a certain date. People believe what they read and make an early commitment. This causes the cruise to appear to be sold out early. However, when I made my cruise, you know the one that was sold out in early '15, I met some passengers that recently booked the cruise and some didn't even know what cabin they were going to be in until they arrived at the ship! Viking has learned that with booking so far in advance, things can change and had to adapt. They have started a wait list and guarantee cabin policy. These may be one in the same. I'm not with the company so I can't give you the exact details but my agent from there gave me the info.

So yes, it might be true as of now that practically all cruises are sold but it does not necessarily mean that everyone booked now will make the trip but the ship will probably be full.

We are booked on the Amazon cruise in Dec '17. I was looking at it the other day and noticed that it shows almost sold out....with the lowest category 'waitlisted', when previously it was 'sold out'.....it has made me curious as to what this means. If you are waitlisted, are you guaranteed a cabin? Or are you rolling the dice and the newer category of guaranteed cabin the only one that provides this? I don't know. We booked months ago before Viking offered the Cuba/Panama Canal journey.....which was attractive as well but sailing at the same time. I believe that one now shows completely sold out.

That said, there will be those who will forgo their deposits and cancel for any number of reasons as happens with any cruise...maybe that is the 'waitlisted' piece!

• 2 months later...

We got a call from Viking a couple of days ago because earlier the entire ship had been sold out for the Amazon cruise. There had been a cancellation in a deluxe veranda category, so we jumped on it. As Canadians we pay a premiun, but having been with Viking Oceans in December /16 we wouldn't consider any other cruise line. I'm betting some more space will open up as the sail date gets closer.

Viking wanted all the money by the end of February, but we paid half the other day and will pay the balance at the end of May.

We are on the same cruise with you Canadian Sunset....glad that it worked out for you!

I am curious - were you on the waitlist, and that is how you received the call?

We had been talking with Viking since mid-December. We knew that the basic category cabins (which were our first choice) had a waitlist, but the veranda cabins were simply marked 'sold out'. It was one of the more expensive deluxe veranda cabins that became available. Since we hadn't expected to even have an opportunity to be on this trip we grabbed it. I guess you would say we were on a waitlist for the deluxe verandas.

We were on Viking Sea in November, but didn't even think of looking at the itinerary then thanks to our small geriatric dog. Since we're no spring chickens ourselves, we decided to try and see if we could take this cruise while we could.