Stargazing - Silhouette

CrzN4Info

My family will be going on the Silhouette in a few months. This will be our 14th cruise but the first time we will attempt Stargazing. We thought it might be worth trying.

I found some binoculars that were recommended to use for first time Stargazers and a good basic book to take. I've heard to go to the front of the ship.

Any other suggestions?

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can't really access the bow of the ship -- it's a crew-only area which is opened sometimes for sail away parties but otherwise is not available to passengers. You can try going to the top deck but be aware that there are lots of lights on -- you won't get a really dark sky. Also, because the ship is moving you'll have a hard time focusing on anything through binoculars -- naked eye star/constellation/planet identification is probably as good as you'll be able to do.

As a first time stargazer you will not be disappointed. While there is a lot of light the sky's are wonderful to explore.

There are a number of apps for smart phones which will help you identify the stars you are looking at. Many of them are free others cost a couple of dollars and worth it to help in watching the sky.

I use SkyViewer and really enjoy it.