Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Here’s the famous 7 mile beach. Months ago when I originally booked this cruise, the lazy plan was just grab a bus (cheapo dad) or a taxi to get to 7 mile beach and call it a day. But we are not really big beach people and looking at the cruise tt web site, I know there will be several other ships in port with 14K+ people getting off the ships that day so I expect the beach area to be packed regardless of which section of 7 mile beach we go on.

So I switched over to the island tour instead.

The tour dropped us off at Royal Palms. Go to the Cayman Island port of call section on CC or visit trip advisor and you will find lots of info on Royal Palms. They typically charge $2/pp just to get in but it’s free for us as part of the tour. So expect to pay some coverage fee just to walk in and use their restrooms/swimming pool. Everything else is extra. The tour gave us 1 plus hours to be there.

31827091170_10606eecfe_b.jpg

31361346064_6b80b47fbb_b.jpg

By time we walked in , the place was rocking with loud music and packed with tons of people around 12 noon – assume they came straight here after getting off the tender while we were at other sites. Having studied the map and other pictures on trip advisor, I know to make a straight line toward the water past the pool area and then hang a left at the edge of the waterline and walk past the extra cost beach chairs to an empty spot to hang out with the rest of the cheapo folks there.

Then some of us changed into swim clothes using the facilities at Royal Palms and got into the water. Not having towels made things difficult as we couldn’t get too wet as we couldn’t dry off but it’s just the idea of seeing the beach and being in the water in December that makes the trip worthwhile just to be there.

You don’t see beaches like this back home everyday. How about that? Take a picture…

31781024362_1cba1d20e1_b.jpg

31361340104_4f2e36c277_b.jpg

32164549406_9a1c540a8f_b.jpg

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Hell.

"The ironshore karst is a special type, both in terms of its texture and origin. First, texture – it is a black, random spongework of pits, jagged ridges and pointed pinnacles. It is developed in a narrow strip just above the tide line on ancient limestone rocks. If you break off a piece, you will see that the black color is present near the surface and it grades to gray inside. Second, origin – it is being dissolved largely by algae, bacteria and fungi so it is often called "biokarst". These tiny (microscopic) organisms bore into the rock and dissolve the calcite crystals. They are most dense within a centimeter or so at the surface, causing the black color. Why this results in the characteristic macro-texture is not fully understood, but you always see the two elements together so they must be linked somehow. It is clear that proximity to the marine environment is key. Maybe the splash, spray and mist from the waves breaking provide just enough moisture to sustain the algae.

So, when you travel around the Caribbean, look at the rocky shoreline, if it is limestone, biokarst may be well developed. The most famous occurrence is at a place called Hell on Grand Cayman."[7]

Actually, pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it next week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Hell.

"The ironshore karst is a special type, both in terms of its texture and origin. First, texture – it is a black, random spongework of pits, jagged ridges and pointed pinnacles. It is developed in a narrow strip just above the tide line on ancient limestone rocks. If you break off a piece, you will see that the black color is present near the surface and it grades to gray inside. Second, origin – it is being dissolved largely by algae, bacteria and fungi so it is often called "biokarst". These tiny (microscopic) organisms bore into the rock and dissolve the calcite crystals. They are most dense within a centimeter or so at the surface, causing the black color. Why this results in the characteristic macro-texture is not fully understood, but you always see the two elements together so they must be linked somehow. It is clear that proximity to the marine environment is key. Maybe the splash, spray and mist from the waves breaking provide just enough moisture to sustain the algae.

So, when you travel around the Caribbean, look at the rocky shoreline, if it is limestone, biokarst may be well developed. The most famous occurrence is at a place called Hell on Grand Cayman."[7]

Actually, pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it next week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The area was bigger than I thought it would be but they could have built more of the walk way for people to see around the backside of the rocks as well. But it's worth seeing once. Have fun.

At around one o’clock, it’s time to dust off the sand and change and hop back to the bus to get back to the ship. If theory, if you really want to be at the beach longer, you can ask the driver to end your tour there and you get back on the ship on your own but with the last tender at 3 something, you don’t want to cut it too close anyway.

Other people leaving Royal Palms

31392016583_1efc096bdb_b.jpg

31392009753_dffddf417f_b.jpg

Here’s our bus

32053590022_14b2613d52_b.jpg

See these guys again

31826698440_37a10a4325_b.jpg

View from inside the bus on the way back to port

32164170736_10f56ac8ed_b.jpg

One of the down sides of booking a tour curb side is that you will have to wait until bus/van is full so you could be left cooling your heals for a while. Booking a tour in advance has a down side, you if are unable to tender in because of bad weather you may have a problem getting your money back. So it may be worth booking a ships tour if you are a newbie or not a chance taker.

One of the down sides of booking a tour curb side is that you will have to wait until bus/van is full so you could be left cooling your heals for a while. Booking a tour in advance has a down side, you if are unable to tender in because of bad weather you may have a problem getting your money back. So it may be worth booking a ships tour if you are a newbie or not a chance taker.

Good point on having to wait if you get the tour curb side. For our sailing, the Freedom was only there part day with last tender at 3:15. We didn't get back in port until after 1:20 so if you get off the ship later and have to wait for your tour to fill up, there may not be enough time for you to get back.

I am loving your report Harry, Its a shame it will continue into next week when we will be on board, I will limit my free wifi to reading the rest of your report

Thanks for following.

Please don't read my report or CC while on a cruise. Enjoy your cruise while you are on it, not reading about someone else's.

Look up and not down is best info you can have.

If you have anything specific you need to know about your cruise or tour, I can answer them now before you leave but don't read anything from CC while on the cruise. You didn't pay thousands of dollars and flew all the way from Europe to read a trip report...

Thanks for following.

Please don't read my report or CC while on a cruise. Enjoy your cruise while you are on it, not reading about someone else's.

Look up and not down is best info you can have.

If you have anything specific you need to know about your cruise or tour, I can answer them now before you leave but don't read anything from CC while on the cruise. You didn't pay thousands of dollars and flew all the way from Europe to read a trip report...

You have a very good point my friend, I am toying with the idea of buying myself a Tag watch while onboard, do you know if they offer good discounts?

You have a very good point my friend, I am toying with the idea of buying myself a Tag watch while onboard, do you know if they offer good discounts?

Sorry, I don't know what the Tag prices are on the ship. The best thing you can do is to know the prices and model numbers of the ones you like, write them down and bring that list with you onto the ship.

That way you can check prices when you get onboard. If you see one that you really like that you didn't price it out beforehand, worse case is pay for a 24 Hour Internet to access amazon or other Internet tag dealers so you can price check.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by harryfat1

Hi Harry, another lurker here from your Allure report following your sequel and loving it. The digressions and pop culture really take the report to a different level. You're the first CPA I've heard of referencing rap.

I don't have plans for a Freedom cruise but am reading purely for entertainment. That's a sign of great storytelling.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any thoughts on rooms on 12 th deck .Room 1826 panoramic view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's very spacious, everything looks shiny and new, it's close to the Solarium, but sometimes you may perceive a vibration, not noticeable on other decks.

Maybe it's because of the location of the rooms but I'm not sure.

Hell has changed since our first (and only) visit back in 2005. That wooden boardwalk was not there. We just went to the back of the parking lot and looked over. I can't even remember if there was a fence. We bought a postcard, saying we'd been to hell and back and sent it home to our daughters. I think it was delivered after we'd gotten home.

If we ever make it back, we'll look into taking the bus to the beach.

Hell has changed since our first (and only) visit back in 2005. That wooden boardwalk was not there. We just went to the back of the parking lot and looked over. I can't even remember if there was a fence. We bought a postcard, saying we'd been to hell and back and sent it home to our daughters. I think it was delivered after we'd gotten home.

It's also a little warmer than it used to be. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Harry, another lurker here from your Allure report following your sequel and loving it. The digressions and pop culture really take the report to a different level. You're the first CPA I've heard of referencing rap.

I don't have plans for a Freedom cruise but am reading purely for entertainment. That's a sign of great storytelling.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

Thank you for the compliments and reading both trip reports. Always appreciate the folks that “de-cloaks” and drop in a comment.

So does that mean you are reading the reports because you like rap music? Or you just like big and round things like me?

Have no fears, I have pics of the Harmony on day 5 at Cozumel and you know what I’ll be talking about…

Enjoying your nice photos, even from your underwater camera.

Hi,

Thanks for following along.

Taking pictures outdoors, especially at the beach area where it’s super bright and the white sand reflecting, it’s really hard to tell if you took a good picture or not. The screen is the tiny 2.5+ inches and with the glare, you have no idea how well the picture turned out (or not turned out) until you get back home to see it on the bigger monitor.

The first set of the underwater camera were too dark as I was facing the sun in trying to pictures of the left. I should have just turned to the right more but since the ships are to the left, it was natural to keep trying to look that way.

But the real important thing is to convey to people what the Royal Palm’s part of the beach looks like. Plenty of space to the left for the cheapo crowd that just wants to plop down for free without paying $12 per chair and $15 for umbrella. Well, I guess $2 to get into RP...

I thought they should have built more walk way to the side and the back so people can walk out another 50+ feet to see. Kind of like the walk way at Yellowstone Park.

Yeah, the bus to beach is the easiest and cheapest route. No need to worry about fighting the crowd to get on the early tender. Just grab a bus whenever you get off the tender and you are good.

It's also a little warmer than it used to be. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Hell just came out of the big freeze and was thawing out since November.

As with every US election in 4 years, the general perception among US voters is whoever running for office, that Presidential candidate “will only win when Hell freezes over”. So now the US election is over and Hell has indeed frozen over, it’s thawing out and warming up…