Naturalist on Norwegian Pearl Alaska cruise?

mamasylvia

I saw on some other posts that Princess and HAL have a naturalist giving commentary on Alaska sights. Does Norwegian offer this? If so, is it available on an in-room TV channel?

Also, does the exercise room ever close or is it available 24/7?

NCL does not have any naturalists on board. When cruising Glacier Bay, they do have National Park people set up a table in the Spinaker Lounge. They will answer questions and have product to sell. There was some commentary by the CD at times, but not very helpful.

NCL does not have any naturalists on board. When cruising Glacier Bay, they do have National Park people set up a table in the Spinaker Lounge. They will answer questions and have product to sell. There was some commentary by the CD at times, but not very helpful.

When we did the Pearl in Glacier Bay (Summer 2016) the Park Rangers would give commentary over the PA. We had the TV on in our room and would listen on the channel that had the PA announcements at those times we happened to be in our cabin on the balcony. Other then that we were wondering the ship and would listen on the PA. I can't remember which side, but the PA announcements in Glacier Bay match up with one side only. So if your cabin is on the other side it won't match up. I have seen which side here on CC on the NCL and Alaska Forums so with some digging you should probably find it.

We have been on the Pearl three times to AK and each time a ranger from the National Park Service joined the ship as you entered Glacier Bay and was very informative. They were in the Spinnaker lounge the whole time while in the bay. I believe as well you could hear their commentary via intercom system and in your room on one of the stations.

PS- Spinnakers is a great place to sit and be warm if you get up early and snag a seat by the window, being on deck when you get up to the glacier is a must.

NCL does have park rangers that come onboard for Glacier Bay. And one of the rangers does give commentary over the PA system and you can also listen to the commentary on the tv in your cabin. The commentary matched up with what we were seeing on the port side. We booked our balcony cabin on the port side specifically for that reason.

You definitely want to move all around the ship on Glacier Bay day though to get different views. But it was nice going back to our own balcony and still get to hear the commentary.

Thanks for the info. We have an aft balcony so will see both sides, just somewhat later than the announcement. ;) I am not sure how much moving around I will be up to but am taking notes for the more mobile members of our party. I will have tons of notes to move onto my phone for each day of the cruise!

Roger, LOL!

Heather, let's not start the balcony/no balcony argument here again. lol