Yukon train/bus Skagway

roadmaster

Hi, we are an Aussie couple looking for some advice please on the above shore excursion. We are pretty new cruisers.

We will be on the Regatta on June 15th in Skagway between 8am and 6pm. This tour has either been withdrawn or sold out on the ships excursion list.

Would you consider this tour of 7.5 hours, departing at 8.30am (bus first) be safe enough to book with Chilkoot tours which would arrive back at 4.30pm?

From what I can read from the train time table it would leave Fraser at 2.45pm and suggests a 1.75 hour journey back.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for mishaps and wonder if the Regatta has withdrawn the tour for that reason.

Thanks

I took pre booked this tour privately when in Skagway loved the bus tour up to Frasier. After stopping at various locations and getting the history of the gold Rush era as we go, personally I found the train ride back to Skagway a little boring. You should, however be back in plenty of time. The train station is located by the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Missymo

We did a bus tour which was a lot of fun. The train is supposed to be better going up but only if you are sitting on the correct side (don't remember which, sorry) and the weather is good, which it often isn't in the morning. Going down the train is going quite fast and the views aren't as nice.

Also, as the OP indicated, it is long, even one way.

The little town is very small but can be fun to walk around.

Mary

Hi, we are an Aussie couple looking for some advice please on the above shore excursion. We are pretty new cruisers.

We will be on the Regatta on June 15th in Skagway between 8am and 6pm. This tour has either been withdrawn or sold out on the ships excursion list.

Would you consider this tour of 7.5 hours, departing at 8.30am (bus first) be safe enough to book with Chilkoot tours which would arrive back at 4.30pm?

From what I can read from the train time table it would leave Fraser at 2.45pm and suggests a 1.75 hour journey back.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for mishaps and wonder if the Regatta has withdrawn the tour for that reason.

Thanks

On two visits to Skagway, we rented a car from Avis (there is a local rent a car company also but I can't remember name) and driven up the Klondike Highway as far as Emerald Lake which is a bit past Carcross. Was an easy very scenic drive and cost much less than booking the excursion. If you do this drive, you will need to bring your passports with you off of the ship since there is a border crossing into Canada and back into the U.S.

Don't forget to take your passports with you if going to Frazier and beyond. Also You are allowed to stamp your own passport in Frazier (optional) before customs comes onboard.the train. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Missymo

I've taken a tour with Chilkoot and can highly recommend it. You do have to pay in advance. We took the bus up, got on the train and stopped and had lunch at an old station in a beautiful location on a lake. Then we took the train back to Skagway. I would definitely recommend doing this tour with lunch. Everything runs right on time. They are a good reputable company. They also picked us up at the ship. We didn't have to go to their office.

I liked it so well I plan on doing it again in 2018 when we take friends to AK.