White Bay Ferry

DH and I needed to get to White Bay for the first time in December.

Sharing our experience, so others can decide if it is a good option for them.

The walk from Wynyard Station via Wynyard Walk is easy with luggage. When you come out of the tunnel to walk to the ferry dock, it is open to the elements. There is also no cover and only limited seating at the ferry dock. We waited approx 30mins for the ferry to arrive.

Once over at White Bay, it is quite a walk to the terminal building, over uneven paths and again no cover. Luckily it was not raining. It was difficult wheeling luggage.

On our return to Sydney at the end of the cruise, we again took the ferry, as we had purchased return tickets online.

We were around the first to disembark and arrived at the ferry dock at around 7.45am, only to be told there was an hour wait. No seating available. Very disappointing. So much for ferries leaving every 15 mins, which was stated on their website.

We will be catching a taxi, if we ever cruise from White Bay again.

DH and I needed to get to White Bay for the first time in December.

Sharing our experience, so others can decide if it is a good option for them.

The walk from Wynyard Station via Wynyard Walk is easy with luggage. When you come out of the tunnel to walk to the ferry dock, it is open to the elements. There is also no cover and only limited seating at the ferry dock. We waited approx 30mins for the ferry to arrive.

Once over at White Bay, it is quite a walk to the terminal building, over uneven paths and again no cover. Luckily it was not raining. It was difficult wheeling luggage.

On our return to Sydney at the end of the cruise, we again took the ferry, as we had purchased return tickets online.

We were around the first to disembark and arrived at the ferry dock at around 7.45am, only to be told there was an hour wait. No seating available. Very disappointing. So much for ferries leaving every 15 mins, which was stated on their website.

We will be catching a taxi, if we ever cruise from White Bay again.

Thanks for posting about your experience with the ferry.

I will be trying Uber in April and will report back on my experience.

Interested in your comments on the White Bay Ferry. We will debark from a cruise there on Feb. 28. When I read about the ferry, it sounded a good idea, as we will stay 3 nights in Sydney. However, when I read the description of how to get from there to Circular Key, via the ferry, it did not sound so easy. And in inclement weather, it would be worse.

On another Forum, people have suggested pre-booking a shuttle, or standing in the taxi line. Prebooking sounds "iffy" since who knows how long before we get off. Would like to hear comments from anyone who has done so, or has waited to get a taxi to the CBD. Any comments are welcome, especially if you have actually berthed at WBT and "know the ropes!" Cheers. hmh:):)

I agree would love to hear about getting taxi at white bay to airport. After looking at ferries we decided to get a taxi so this has helped me to know we have made the right decision. Just wondering how long a wait to get a taxi after? We are leaving on 16th Jan, so is coming quick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree would love to hear about getting taxi at white bay to airport. After looking at ferries we decided to get a taxi so this has helped me to know we have made the right decision. Just wondering how long a wait to get a taxi after? We are leaving on 16th Jan, so is coming quick.

I always get the cruise line shuttle from white bay to the air port about $20

picks you up out the front of OPT, works for us,

by taxi about $80+ depending on day of week and traffic.

Once over at White Bay, it is quite a walk to the terminal building, over uneven paths and again no cover. Luckily it was not raining. It was difficult wheeling luggage....

Do you recall how long it took to make the trek between the terminal and the ferry dock? 5 mins? 10 mins? Was the path well marked? The ferry website just says "The ferry wharf is now located only a few hundred metres from the terminal" Google Street and Satellite Views do not show any obvious (to me) ferry dock locations.

My first choice will be UBER but have had problems with their app in the past and whether or not there are any drivers in the area is a complete unknown (and how many other pax are competing for said drivers).

My Sydney hotel is a very short walk from the wharf where the ferry arrives so that part of the ferry approach works well for me.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

There always seem to be a lot if taxis there, but still lengthy lines, so clearly not enough.

As you are going from White Bay, I think it is likely you are cruising with P&O or Princess. If you can arrange for the ship's transfer with the Shore Excursions office on board to take you from White Bay to the airport, it will be cheaper than a taxi. Princess is currently charging AUD$19 pp. A taxi will cost $60-$65.

For transport to the ship, can you still arrange the ship's shuttle through your TA? There is always a Princess rep standing near the airport luggage carousel. She (it is usually a woman) has a list of names of people who have pre-booked the shuttle. Buses go as soon as they are available and full.

Do you recall how long it took to make the trek between the terminal and the ferry dock? 5 mins? 10 mins? Was the path well marked? The ferry website just says "The ferry wharf is now located only a few hundred metres from the terminal" Google Street and Satellite Views do not show any obvious (to me) ferry dock locations.

My first choice will be UBER but have had problems with their app in the past and whether or not there are any drivers in the area is a complete unknown (and how many other pax are competing for said drivers).

My Sydney hotel is a very short walk from the wharf where the ferry arrives so that part of the ferry approach works well for me.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

The trek took approx 15 mins. It is sign posted.

When you go to Satellite view on Google, our ship was docked in front of the White Bay Cruise Terminal. Scan to the west and you will see a "grey box" in the water, that is the ferry platform. Follow the marked path to the street (James Craig Rd) cross over at pedestrian crossing and walk on the footpath to the next pedestrian crossing and then cross back. Walk past a car park to terminal.

The marked path to the street is uneven in places and has unused train tracks. It made it quite difficult wheeling heavy luggage (ones with the 4 wheels on the bottom) We managed.

Considering it is $9 p/p each way, and we had to wait 1 hour for the first ferry on our return it was very frustrating and disappointing.

We always catch the train to the airport, so next time, we will either catch a taxi to Central Station and then train or use the Ship's transfers.

Hope that all made sense.

Considering it is $9 p/p each way, and we had to wait 1 hour for the first ferry on our return it was very frustrating and disappointing.

I appreciate they can't do much about the path or distance, but I was disappointed when I read of the wait, which is under their control. I wouldn't be happy with that either.

As you are going from White Bay, I think it is likely you are cruising with P&O or Princess. If you can arrange for the ship's transfer with the Shore Excursions office on board to take you from White Bay to the airport, it will be cheaper than a taxi. Princess is currently charging AUD$19 pp. A taxi will cost $60-$65.

For convenience, I think the line shuttle out of the area is the easiest.

I've also tried Uber's there in the past, and for a short trip to the city at peak times (working days) I couldn't get one there in half an hour. However, on weekends when it's not as busy I think it's easier. So comes down to when you're travelling.