Midnight buffet???

I remember the midnight buffets from when I started going on cruises in the mid-1990s.   What I wonder is when did the major cruise lines decide to discontinue them ... and what was/were the major reasons?   As spectacular as they were, I can imagine that they would be crew-killers.  In other words, after working hard from early morning, they would have a huge amount of cleaning, etc. to do very late.   For that reason, I'm glad that midnight buffets aren't done anymore.  - Anyway, these days, I'm pretty much in bed by 12, as I like to be up fairly early - especially if excursions are early.    

Edited by Vanna Ocean
  • Like 2

Multiple reasons why these disappeared.  Maybe the most significant was the new regulations by the USPH regarding food and the temperatures it must be held.  

Deck BBQ's became history not long after the disappearance of the Midnight Buffets.  Reasons why?  The same, basically.  

A guest loss of such an amenity?  Yes, but, consider the waste of the food.  I think most--if not all of the food--in such displays ended up feeding the fish.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, Vanna Ocean said:

I remember the midnight buffets from when I started going on cruises in the mid-1990s.   What I wonder is when did the major cruise lines decide to discontinue them ... and what was/were the major reasons?   As spectacular as they were, I can imagine that they would be crew-killers.  In other words, after working hard from early morning, they would have a huge amount of cleaning, etc. to do very late.   For that reason, I'm glad that midnight buffets aren't done anymore.  - Anyway, these days, I'm pretty much in bed by 12, as I like to be up fairly early - especially if excursions are early.    

The eating habits of the pax/customers changed as time went by.  The whole idea of a cruise changed as the ships got bigger and hungrier for revenue…more entertainment, specialty dining and cost cutting.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The eating habits of the pax/customers changed as time went by

Do not disagree with you regarding the late night displays of food.  But, the gluttony that I have witnessed in the buffet restaurants is disgusting.  The food waste that I have seen Stewards clear from the tables----!  

I have particular issue with the change to huge plastic salad bowls in the Lido Restaurants on HAL ships.  Even pre-Covid, those salad bars were not self-serve.  But, it was very easy for the server to give one more of "this item and that item" than I would have done for myself.  I cannot tell you the number of times that I have observed those salad bowls being carted away to garbage disposal with much food remaining.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

Do not disagree with you regarding the late night displays of food.  But, the gluttony that I have witnessed in the buffet restaurants is disgusting.  The food waste that I have seen Stewards clear from the tables----!  

I have particular issue with the change to huge plastic salad bowls in the Lido Restaurants on HAL ships.  Even pre-Covid, those salad bars were not self-serve.  But, it was very easy for the server to give one more of "this item and that item" than I would have done for myself.  I cannot tell you the number of times that I have observed those salad bowls being carted away to garbage disposal with much food remaining.  

RK, I do believe that we could have a separate thread based on the gluttony we have witnessed at the buffet…LOL.  Call me perverse but I have even taken pictures of pax loading up like it was The Last Supper…lol.  Some of the scenes at the buffet on embarkation day are priceless.  The crew members must think these people are crazy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up w the midnight buffets on the Italian Lines...ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS to say the least.

One note is that we always had late seating dinner so the buffets were for show & maybe a nibble or cookie.

The portions in the dining room were also of European size..so even w 4 courses,  including pasta I would be full but not stuffed. Part of the cruise experience was the great & varied food onboard.

I usually don't go to buffets...saying that 2 years ago I did a 13 day repo cruise on MSC & 12 OF THOSE NITES I ATE AT THE BUFFET...IT WAS so varied & the pizza delicious. The choices were so many..something for everyone.

In the afternoons at 4 or so have a glass of wine & grab some guacamole & chips & sit on the aft deck & watch the sea go by...that was luxury..having the choice.

I had a balcony cabin where each morning I had coffee, croissants, fresh fruit  & yogurt delivered.

Cruising has changed..its just tweaking it a bit ...one thing is if its a late nite..I need pizza....MSC delivered😎🤗😊

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

One note is that we always had late seating dinner so the buffets were for show & maybe a nibble or cookie

I'm also a late seating diner; have always been except for one cruise--but that is another story.  In my early cruising years, there would still be a bit of room for a bit more food from the Midnight Buffet, but, maybe the reason was I recall that they served later than most do now.  On most cruises now, a "look-see", maybe, with a nibble or a dessert that was on the MDR menu that was desired, but I ordered something else. 

2 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

MSC & 12 OF THOSE NITES I ATE AT THE BUFFET...IT WAS so varied & the pizza delicious. The choices were so many..something for everyone.

Walking through the buffet restaurant on Meraviglia, I have to agree with you.  Lots of choices in different sections with most items looking very good.  Did not try anything than their pizza and the pizza was very good.

The buffet restaurant on Royal Princess also has a very wide selection of food and the food was very good.  But, the restaurant's layout was confusing to me.  I actually got slightly lost when I left my table to get something else.  I lost track of where my table was because of the layout of the various sections of the buffet.  

• 2 months later...

I remember some of those midnight buffets were just amazing.  I can't even imagine the work that would have gone into some of the displays every night.  I think it was around the late 90s that they started cutting back to just once per cruise, and eliminated them completely not too long after that.  

If anyone has any pictures of some of the buffets from the past that they would be willing to post, I think we would all appreciate seeing them, and bring back some fond memories.   I know I had taken pictures of the buffets a few times, but sadly can't find any of them.

• Like 1

Ah, yes, the midnight buffets.

Even though we always chose late dinner, and with conversation we were frequently the last ones in the dining room, a walk around the promenade deck, the show, and some dancing led to the conclusion that a glass of milk would hit the spot.

That glass of milk regularly became some crab legs and other goodies for Mr. S, and perhaps cheesecake, tiny sandwiches, and cookies for Mrs.  And if we happened to be there at the same time as some dinner companions or other friends, it became another social event.

Now, at home, we have supper at 6 and are in bed at 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the positive additions to some HAL cruises is the Grand Dessert Buffet held in the mid-ship's pool area starting around 11:00 P. M.  So many different types of desserts including flambes!  Each pastry looking more delicious than the next one!  

Post-Covid, I wonder if we will ever see the likes of that again?  

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Raiders4Life32 said:

I remember the "Champaigne Waterfall" that the Head Waiter would conduct for the old Midnight Buffets.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic new member!  The Champaigne Waterfall still takes place on Princess cruise ships, at least it did pre-Covid.  I think this event began on the late, lamented Sitmar Cruise ships.  

Sitmar was a great cruise line.   Its Italian ambiance, cuisine, entertainment, and service was as good as HAL's at that time (minus, of course, the "Italian flavor" of the cruise).  

I was aboard Fairwind the Summer that we left Port Everglades as a Sitmar ship and returned to the Port as a Princess ship.  The transaction when Princess acquired Sitmar took place while we were on the cruise.  I remember our dining room Stewards being concerned about "what the future held for them".  

• 2 years later...

We have been watching some old videos from the lines....

Super beautiful and elegant buffets that they used to have at midnight....

It is very sad that these midnight buffets have gone away.... I also hate how MDR food has declined to inedibility on RCL based on recent reviews - and tried to force you into premium dining.