Cell phone suggestions for non sea days

momme224

Hi,

What does everyone do with their cell

Phones on days you are in the islands? I'm afraid of it overheating or getting wet/covered in sand. We plan to leave one of our phones in the safe in the room but want to take one of ours with us for pictures and emergencies. Any suggestions? I don't plan to use my phone in the ocean so I don't necessarily need a waterproof case. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You would need to get an international package from your cellphone provider if you want to use your phone at all. You could instead buy a cheap disposable waterproof camera to take to the beach.

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Quick-Waterproof-Camera-Green/dp/B00004TWM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483985289&sr=8-1&keywords=disposable+waterproof+camera

If you don't plan on calling anyone you can take as many pictures as you want. Check with your provider if you want to text . . ATT charged $.50 per text (no international package needed. )

Leave your phone in airplane mode and you won't need any sort of plan. You'll find many locations that have free wi-fi in the ports. You can go into the settings and enable just wifi to use those services.

We have these cases for wet/dirty/sandy locations:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015N3GKWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi,

What does everyone do with their cell

Phones on days you are in the islands? I'm afraid of it overheating or getting wet/covered in sand. We plan to leave one of our phones in the safe in the room but want to take one of ours with us for pictures and emergencies. Any suggestions? I don't plan to use my phone in the ocean so I don't necessarily need a waterproof case. Thanks!

If you are worried about sand, just get any case that will protect it.

I go through the same struggle. My phone died (after 5 years lol) last year and while figuring out what we wanted to buy I purchased a cheap $60.00 smart phone. Our new phones are $700.00 to replace. I am renting cars in two ports and feel I need a phone for emergencies while on shore. We are traveling to Western Caribbean.

I discovered that ATT will give me a SIM card for the "old" phone I have which I can pop in and out by myself. I'll call ATT and they will switch service to old phone. I will use that when going ashore.

Last Caribbean vacation my boyfriend forgot he had his cell phone in his pocket and walk right into the ocean with a three month old phone.

We now have water proof cases.

When I get back I will switch back.

I will need a package even for picture taking? I understand for making phone calls

No you don't need a package. Put the phone in airplane mode and you can do anything with it you want except make calls, or use anything that has to connect to the Internet.