Carnival Vista moving to Galveston

Margaritaville TX

Haha! Do people say it's "hard to get to"? Yes, driving south on I45 and one left turn to the port is extremely difficult!! 😂😂

And if you somehow miss that left turn, just stay on 45/Broadway and make a left most anytime further down. Could not be any easier.

5 million people in 3hr drive?!? There are 7 million in Houston metro alone. More like three times that number. Besides the small cruise terminal, Galveston is a great port. Florida only has the 3 day advantage to Nassau. Loving it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Four of the largest 11 cities in the country within a 5-hour drive. Huge and affluent population to draw from.

Booked a Havana Cabana on the Vista for October 14, 2018 and can't wait!! We have never booked a cruise this far in advance and it is killing us to be so excited and not be able to cruise on the Vista for another 21 months. We have plenty of trips in between there so I need to get my mind of the Vista and think about other things we have going on.

We have sailed on 9 cruises and LOVE sailing from Galveston. Our most recent cruise was fogged in (or out) from Galveston on our last day and we just tried to make the best of it! It did not bother us at all... But, I do feel for those who do not live within driving range. But it never fails... people will always remember the worst.

I am really excited for the VISTA! DH and I are booking a SB 2019 cruise this week!

How soon do you think RC will put an Oasis class ship in Galveston? That would be PERFECT! Trust me... the $$$ is there!

I guess I will just sit back and dream of that day! :cool:

Happy Cruising y'all!

We have sailed on 9 cruises and LOVE sailing from Galveston. Our most recent cruise was fogged in (or out) from Galveston on our last day and we just tried to make the best of it! It did not bother us at all... But, I do feel for those who do not live within driving range. But it never fails... people will always remember the worst.

I am really excited for the VISTA! DH and I are booking a SB 2019 cruise this week!

How soon do you think RC will put an Oasis class ship in Galveston? That would be PERFECT! Trust me... the $$$ is there!

I guess I will just sit back and dream of that day! :cool:

Happy Cruising y'all!

While I do not know it for a fact, my guess is they would have to major work to the port to get an Oasis class ship into Galveston (height and gangway). If I am wrong I arms sure someone will chip in with better info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I do not know it for a fact, my guess is they would have to major work to the port to get an Oasis class ship into Galveston (height and gangway). If I am wrong I arms sure someone will chip in with better info.

Liberty of the seas and Oasis of the seas both board on the same deck so I don't think gangway height is an issue. Other than that I don't see much of an issue as to why Galveston could not support an oasis class ship. With the 4th ship coming it very well could be a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Liberty of the seas and Oasis of the seas both board on the same deck so I don't think gangway height is an issue. Other than that I don't see much of an issue as to why Galveston could not support an oasis class ship. With the 4th ship coming it very well could be a possibility.

Makes sense, I was basing it on the redo of Port Everglades when they based them there.

The terminal and gangway isn't the problem here, it's tied to if the ship can turn around in the basin prior to the dock. The Magic could and it was amazingly close.

Clearly the Vista will make the turn, so I'm just speculating.

The terminal and gangway isn't the problem here, it's tied to if the ship can turn around in the basin prior to the dock. The Magic could and it was amazingly close.

Clearly the Vista will make the turn, so I'm just speculating.

Thought about the swing as well

Oasis is 74 foot longer than Liberty of the seas which puts her 14 feet shy of 1200 foot long. Curious how much room there is left over when LOS makes that swing.

I'm curious too. A variable is what jack-up or semi-submersible is at the dry dock across the channel. The Magic cleared easily and on one trip aboard the Triumph I swear we could read the company name on the hard hats on the rigs.

Edited by BallFour4

Thought about the swing as well

Nothing to stop an Oasis class from heading up the channel in reverse. But when we were on Liberty OTS, they made a big deal about how she was going to be there through 2018 and I don't see them putting them both there at the same time.

Haha! Do people say it's "hard to get to"? Yes, driving south on I45 and one left turn to the port is extremely difficult!! 😂😂

Galveston is very easy to drive to. I think what lots of people mean by it being hard to get to is that you have to fly into Houston & then get a ride to Galveston. I hear it is a bit pricey to go via taxi since you are talking about a 45ish minute trip, whereas flying into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale you are less than 15 minutes away from port.

Nothing to stop an Oasis class from heading up the channel in reverse. But when we were on Liberty OTS, they made a big deal about how she was going to be there through 2018 and I don't see them putting them both there at the same time.

Not sure if the port could handle an additional ship or not. Don't think I have ever seen or heard of a ship back into port, not sure if there is less control that way or not, one of our experts can comment. If LOTS is staying it sounds like a moot point.

Not sure if the port could handle an additional ship or not. Don't think I have ever seen or heard of a ship back into port, not sure if there is less control that way or not, one of our experts can comment. If LOTS is staying it sounds like a moot point.

More than a few years back, I watched the Conquest back in on the web cam when she was home ported in Galveston. So I would think for sure an Azi-pod equipped ship would have no problem.

More than a few years back, I watched the Conquest back in on the web cam when she was home ported in Galveston. So I would think for sure an Azi-pod equipped ship would have no problem.

Was not doubting you, just that I had never seen it.

Sent from my iPhone

All of them back in from the turning basin area. The exception is if they arrive late, low tide or it's too windy. They have to make the turn before getting to the ferry landing.

It's an art form to watch. We ride our bikes on Sundays to see them leave. The turns are done after they pass the ferry and right by the banana boat docks.

Unless it ran Saturday to Saturday I don't see adding another 7 day RCCL ship until after LOS leaves. Which could be a while. Pretty sure the last ship(navigator of the seas) hung around for a few years.

Later this year Galveston is getting Vision of the Seas to run 4 and 5 day routes but last I checked it was only planned til spring of 2018.