Ferry Ride Cozumel to Playa del Carmen - How Rough?

SeaWatcher65

Wondering how rough the ride is if prone to sea sickness. Can you compare to the ferry ride between St. Thomas and St. John USVI? Or between Tortola and Virgin Gorda, BVI? The person of concern in our party was fine on those ferry rides with the prescription patch for sea sickness and usually OK as long as the ship/boat is moving and does not stop for a long time. Thank you.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

I have seen folks posting they had problems between both Tortola/VG and Coz/Playa. One person even had a problem between Red Hook and Cruz bay and either the weather was extremely bad or she just can't be on boats. The ferry from CA to STJ can be rough, but the Red Hook ferry is short and not that bad.

We've never had a problem on the ferry between STT and STJ, Tortola and VG, or Coz and Playa. But I know the water can be rougher when conditions are worse so it's hard to answer for Coz/Playa...

I have seen folks posting they had problems between both Tortola/VG and Coz/Playa. One person even had a problem between Red Hook and Cruz bay and either the weather was extremely bad or she just can't be on boats. The ferry from CA to STJ can be rough, but the Red Hook ferry is short and not that bad.

We've never had a problem on the ferry between STT and STJ, Tortola and VG, or Coz and Playa. But I know the water can be rougher when conditions are worse so it's hard to answer for Coz/Playa...

Thank you blue water! You were very helpful in the past when we planned our STT and STJ cruise stops.

I have been on the ferry when it was smooth as silk. I have been on the ferry when it was bouncing all the way with big waves hitting the windows. Only ONCE did I see anyone get seasick and it was a young girl, staff brought her a trashcan, and ginger ale.

Last Tuesday was terrible going and okay coming back. I took a bonine the night before and was fine but my brother and a few others got sick. We were on the middle deck in the middle section and a wave came up over and drenched the people on that side of the ferry. Someone asked the woman attendant and she said it was like that all the time but after we docked one of the guys said it was the worst it had ever been and she agreed - I think she was trying to keep people calm by saying it was normal.

For the return trip, we sat in the bottom enclosed level and had no issues.

It depends!

I know smart a** comment

Basically - if it is windy you will have waves. If it is not windy than the waves may not be a big.

Done it a number of times. last month is was pretty calm.

Its not like your ship - it does not have stablizers.

I am moderately prone to sea sickness.

We took the Coz - Playa Del Carmen ferry and being warned of potential problems, I had been taking several ginger tablets day for a few days prior. The ride was bouncy enough to cause me a little concern, but I did fine. It was about 45-50 minutes crossing, and I think if it had been 90 plus minutes it might have been a problem. Being able to see out the front is a big help rather than just looking to the side and experiencing the rises and falls as swells move past your view.

I would not hesitate to take the ride again - the excursion was SOOO worth it.

(We swam in the Cenotes and snorkeled with turtles.)

Of course the drug war in Playa Del Carmen is another matter....

Don

I am moderately prone to sea sickness.

We took the Coz - Playa Del Carmen ferry and being warned of potential problems, I had been taking several ginger tablets day for a few days prior. The ride was bouncy enough to cause me a little concern, but I did fine. It was about 45-50 minutes crossing, and I think if it had been 90 plus minutes it might have been a problem. Being able to see out the front is a big help rather than just looking to the side and experiencing the rises and falls as swells move past your view.

I would not hesitate to take the ride again - the excursion was SOOO worth it.

(We swam in the Cenotes and snorkeled with turtles.)

Of course the drug war in Playa Del Carmen is another matter....

Don

Thanks for your report Don. Regarding the event that took place at the Blue Parrot, we are all saddened by this and feel terrible for those families that were affected. There is a lot of misinformation out there but based on the facts this is not considered drug related.