Correct Seating At Dining Table.

katiecoos

Unless folks know each other very well, I've never seen Husbands and Wives split up at the dinner table (unless they're fighting!).

After you get to know your tablemates, you might try moving around, for different views or different conversations, but that will come somewhat naturally if it's going to happen.

Agreed, sit next to one another. On a 6 table, particularly if it's round, you'll be able to converse with everyone else easily. If you end up on a larger table, and provided everybody agrees, we've always suggested moving round a few times for a couple of reasons. First, if it's a good group, you get the chance to talk to everybody else. Second, if you're unlucky enough to have a non-talker or a 'grumpy', it's nice for the 'good guys' to share the burden of sitting next to them.

The other reason you'll want to sit next to each other is when the photographers come around to take their dining room photos. We've seen where the couples were sitting opposite and one of them had to get up and perch next to the other for the photo, which makes for a weird pose.

Hi, we always sit together, we like to discuss the menu, wine, etc. And don't worry about the seating, it all comes very naturally, everyone just finds a seat, your waiter will seat you at least the first evening , and has always worked well for us. We have been lucky and only encountered a "grumpy" tablemate on one occasion and it was personal choice dining so we didn't have to sit with him again :). And believe it or not that was at the captians table, go figure ?? Don't sweat the small stuff, just go and enjoy your cruise.

Cori

Some tables for 6 are rectangle. so sitting together is not an option for one couple. I agreee that changing around so everyone gets to sit together at least some dinners is a good idea. I'd hate to think that we would sit across from each other all week.

I agree - sit together. One thing we do, is sit next to each other, but each night we switch seats so that we are next to a different couple.

By the end of the cruise we have circled the table, and have been able to sit next to each couple and carry on conversations.

We usually do sit together, but shift seats every night. We've only had one cruise where the family sat at the same seats every night and we wished they wouldn't have. The table was rectangular and they all sat on one side, so we (DH, 2 kids) had to sit on the other, then they wouldn't talk to us (too shy). I felt like I had my head in my plate all week, having to lean down to talk to my family. I'm social, I like to talk at dinner.

We sat at a rectangular table for six. It was pretty much the last couple to get to the table sat across from each other.

I have never experienced this. Usually couples sit next to each other. If you are at a rectangular table, that means that if you sat at the "head" or the "foot" of the table, your partner would sit to at your right or left hand. Couples will share bottles of wine, an extra entree, etc. and to break up a couple seems kind of rude.

We do change our seats around the table during the cruise so that we can talk to all and enjoy different views, but we do always sit next to each other.

If I were traveling single, I would make sure that I didn't sit in between a couple.

If seated at a round table, I'd definitely say sit next to each other. However, most of the tables for 6 are rectangular.

I would much prefer sitting across from my dining companion than having to turn around to one side to talk w/him. To me, it's much more logical at a rectangular 6-top for the three couples to face each other.

Archived