What should I pack for a cruise in Mid May?

Cozumelted

Unless someone more knowledgable chimes in, I still think layers are the key. Bring a couple of pretty shawls to throw over a dinner dress if needed, one light weight and one warmer. I'm just planning on nice slacks and a shirt for dinner for our May 21 cruise, one good thing about NCL is no formal night.

Lucy, you are more of a challenge. Sounds like you might be the exception to the "you don't need a coat" rule. You might look into one of those packable coats that shrink down to almost nothing to avoid trying to cram a normal coat into a suitcase! Or, if Ketchikan is an early stop, hit the Tongass Trading Post there to buy one of their $20 Alaska jackets. And if worst comes to worst, you can always ask your room steward for extra blankets to wrap around you on the ship!

Ketchikan is our 3rd port unfortunately, so I guess I will just take a coat. I thought about wearing it on the plane instead of packing it, but I may look kind of funny leaving North Carolina in May with a winter coat on. I will definitely check out the weather before we leave.

Ketchikan is our 3rd port unfortunately, so I guess I will just take a coat. I thought about wearing it on the plane instead of packing it, but I may look kind of funny leaving North Carolina in May with a winter coat on. I will definitely check out the weather before we leave.

I just draped my coat over my arm when I boarded the plane when I went in July.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

My favorite travel cartoon happened right after they started charging for travel. A guy goes up to the counter and is told he has too much luggage. He then goes to the restroom with his luggage and comes out wearing all of his scuba gear onto the plane.

You can't look funnier than that!

My favorite travel cartoon happened right after they started charging for travel. A guy goes up to the counter and is told he has too much luggage. He then goes to the restroom with his luggage and comes out wearing all of his scuba gear onto the plane.

You can't look funnier than that!

That's funny! I guess I would rather look funny than be cold!

The coat shouldn't be a big bulky winter coat, just a waterproof jacket, preferably with a hood.

Look at photos in trip reports and you'll see what people typically wear each day when they're in port...... tshirt, pullover of some kind, jacket, jeans/khakis, sneakers and a small backpack . If you're sensitive to the cold, pack long underwear.

We're about to do our second Alaskan cruise in May. I too would heartily recommend thin layers, with the top layer being water repellent. Also we each had two pairs "walking shoes" (wanted to avoid having wet shoes the next day). Re: formal night, we were on Princess and noted people were not dressed up as much as we've seen on Caribbean cruises. Basically saw men with collared shirts (few with ties and jackets), women with casual dresses or nice sweaters and slacks. Temps inland (Denali, etc. were warmer

than coast (Skagway, Juneau, etc.) but coast was rainy. Glacier viewing days of course were cold on deck necessitating hat, gloves, scarves, but so worth it and you can duck inside to warm up as needed.

And as mentioned above, you don't need new outfits for every day/night. Princess has laundry rooms on all (most) decks and can wash as needed.

And as mentioned above, you don't need new outfits for every day/night.

You'll probably want to change the layer next to your skin each day, so bring several tshirts, but your warmth layer ( hoody, sweater, fleece) can be worn multiple times. No one will care or even notice that you wore the same sweater on Monday and Thursday .........

I just hope the weather is cooler in May than it is in North Carolina in January. Packing is going to be a challenge for this first time cruiser.

I kind of like the weather now in North Carolina. If it isn't going to snow, I want it to be warmer. I am going to check the weather forecast in Alaska a few days before we leave and decide exactly what I need.

I kind of like the weather now in North Carolina. If it isn't going to snow, I want it to be warmer. I am going to check the weather forecast in Alaska a few days before we leave and decide exactly what I need.

I do love the snow !