Tips and secrets for the gem

shark5

The bar/specialty coffee area in the Atrium lounge opens early in the morning around 7AM so that the ship can provide specialty coffees to passengers. The added benefit to this is that this bar is the first one open on the ship. The bar has a limited selection of liquors because it doesn't have the space for a full assortment, but it's just fine.

So, if you would like to start your day with a mimosa, this is the bar to head to. I would recommend ordering a prosecco and orange juice instead of the 'classic' mimosa made with champagne. The Prosecco served at the NCL bars is much much better than the standard champagne served with the UBP.

Cheers!

Wow! These are some great tips. Since most here have been on the ship can anyone tell me how it is for kids. I've cruised carnival and they've had lots of activities. We will have an 18, 15 and 11 year old. And we aren't cruising during and kind of school break. (We're letting the kids skip school [emoji33][emoji16]) so with it not being a school break will there still be plenty of other teens?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

3. If you are in a balcony or oceanview cabin, you get a small coffee maker.

Norwegian supplies terrible tasting coffee packets with them and do, bring your own bag of coffee and small coffee filters. You will probably make better tasting coffee than is served at the Buffet or MDR restaurants.

I had an Oceanview half of my Gem cruise in August 2016 and there was no coffeemaker in the cabin. I was then switched to a Balcony cabin and there was a coffeemaker.

I've been on 5 different NCL ships in a variety of cabins and I've only ever had a coffeemaker when in a balcony. Inside or Oceanview, I had to trek to the buffet to get a cup. Studios have an espresso machine in the Studio lounge.

I've been on 5 different NCL ships in a variety of cabins and I've only ever had a coffeemaker when in a balcony. Inside or Oceanview, I had to trek to the buffet to get a cup.

Ask your room steward for one. There aren't enough for everyone, but not everyone is asking. They've brought me one in an inside cabin before.

Wow! These are some great tips. Since most here have been on the ship can anyone tell me how it is for kids. I've cruised carnival and they've had lots of activities. We will have an 18, 15 and 11 year old. And we aren't cruising during and kind of school break. (We're letting the kids skip school [emoji33][emoji16]) so with it not being a school break will there still be plenty of other teens?

Cl was my sons favourite for kids. Your 18 year old is too old for the clubs but they usually advertise for 18-21 some activities. There's a sports court, slides and they put in a climbing wall

Depends when you're cruising e.g Europe summer kids are off until early September. The teen clubs cater all year so there will be things on the go even with small numbers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My son was a lot younger but he had a great time. I think your teens will love!

We cruised in Jan/Feb and the general rule is the longer the cruise the less kids/younger families there are. From my observations the demographics were definitely 50+ on a 10 day cruise. We're doing a 14 day cruise and are expecting the same.

That being said there were children around, just not as much as you'd see on a 7 day cruise or less :)

Is anyone on this thread cruising the Gem on April 29? There doesn't seem to be much activity on the roll call ... Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As DinaS mentioned, their 3/19 Roll Call is pretty quiet - have you "checked in" for ours - you might be the 3rd. CC'er sailing on this 4/29 - we only booked last November & I thought it was a mistake myself ... or, worst - half of the ship being chartered. The one before us doing the 10/11 days Carib runs - ours the first one doing the 7 days Florida/GSC & Nassau - won't be surprised that some will decide to do a B2b AND turn theirs into a 18 days. We don't usually book until last minute (within 2 months).

iConcierge, the free NCL App should be working fine onboard - satellite broadband & calling/texting (those extra $$ options) might or might not function satisfactory - but, download that before embarkation - iOS & Android. Cellular signal inside the MCT (Pier 88 and Pier 90, whichever they use) is horrible, often dropping to 3G/H speed or worst, 2G (which is phrasing out) depending on the carrier.

Tapatalk is a good mobile app to use/bring along - very easy to upload & post, especially for those with paid WiFi access while at sea or the "freebie" 250 minutes. We will be using Google Fi (BTS or DigiCel) as our roaming carrier in Nassau for voice & 4G/LTE data access.

GEM parking @rooftop is said to continue to qualify for 25% discount - will continue to watch that. Hotel & ground transport options and help on the East Coast departure sub-forum here.

Spring time is popular for NCL to play/change their MDR menu (again) so for those going sooner than us, please take smartphone pictures & share/post after the cruise ... I will do the same afterward as those who'v seen our pictorial review "know".

Edited by mking8288

[quote=mking8288;

GEM parking @rooftop is said to continue to qualify for 25% discount - will continue to watch that. Hotel & ground transport options and help on the East Coast departure sub-forum here.

What parking are you talking about? Link to info please. Thanks!

What parking are you talking about? Link to info please. Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using

MCT - Rootop Parking ... info https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Parking Coupon - (valid for the GEM only, do not bother asking - not accepted or honored for the Breakaway) 2016 rates still in effect as of today, coupon has no expiration date.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/MCT%20Pier%2090%20related/MCT_parking-Gem-to-October-2015.pdf

More discussions - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865&highlight=NYC+Parking

NYC Parking (and, almost turn-by-turn directions for driving to MCT, with pictures) - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50611369#post50611369

and, dozens other FAQ and 411's on walking, taxis, car service, ferries across the Hudson, airports, hotels ... indirectly related to sailing NCL/Gem

• 4 weeks later...
I'd like to know about this too!Thanks!

Hi, I see that you are sailing this June. Ours are end of April so we will know if the offer is still valid from others parking there. Daily (24 hours) parking rate still in effect as of this week is still at 2016 rate of $40 USD including taxes, no surcharges for minivan, suv, full size van and XLT pickup truck, and I've seen Hummers there. GEM only coupon is now an unpublished special, still being honored since nobody reported otherwise from sailing earlier this week - it max'd out at $400 for longer cruises up to 30 days (monthly) so for a 14 day or B2B, with the coupon accepted - it's $300 only. NOT good for the Breakaway or other ships at MCT, it's been asked & short answer is "no" & don't ask NCL, has nothing to do with them - NYCruise Terminal is the operator running the facilities.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447159&highlight=GEM+parking

This is the latest coupon posted by BostonGal35 - must print & bring it along, present to cashier as part of payment when entering - a quick security sweep will be conducted ... Post #4 - in PDF format

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51758172&postcount=4

There is an excellent "NYC (Driving) Parking Guide" to MCT, including photos, maps & turn-by-turn directions even if you do not have GPS Map/Nav or real-time aid. It is easy to follow and works, best approach is southbound on the Henry Hudson Parkway, great for those from points north, east & west of NYC ... acrossing the GW Bridge, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865&highlight=NYC+Parking

Hubby and I are cruising on April 29th. Matt and Rachel, Johnstown, NY(foothills of the Adirondacks). 13th wedding anniversary present to each other.
Hi, Rachel & Matt - saw your other post, will be updating as we got more additions to the Roll Call.

Will someone please tell more about "The Great Outdoors" area? Where is it and what is there?

Thank you.

The Great Outdoors is on the same deck as the pool but all the way aft overlooking the stern. It has shade, a bar, a small buffet section and is adjacent to the Garden Cafe if you want more variety. They are found on all jewel class ships as well as on Sun.

Thank you... we ended up reserving with park jockey. $140 for the week. Can't beat it. 1/2 mile from pier.

We are flying into NYC the night before (free with airline miles).

Got a hotel that night three blocks from the port (free with hotel points).

Got care service from LGA to the hotel and from the port back to LGA (free with coupons).

I think we did well! :D