Confused...Facebook, text reaching kids at home

fozzy1975

My husband and I are going on our 1st vacation alone in 12 years with no kids WOOT WOOT!! Here is my question. They are 12 and 10 and will be staying with my parents. What is the best way to keep in touch? I have read about the internet plans but am so confused. Do I use skype, facebook messanger, can I send a normal text?? What is the best plan and do I purchase it on the ship? I dont need to see them, we just want to be able to chat :) Thanks!!

I was on the Victory without my kids in October and we used facebook messenger to send messages back and forth. It was real time and only cost 5 bucks a day. It worked well for us. There will be instructions on how to purchase the social media package when you get on the ship. If you need to call you can use the cabin phone for $1.99 a minute.

Edited by Jenn1974

You can get the social media package for $5 a day and use Facebook messenger, or WhatsAp. There are a few others as well.

These options will only work for text based.

The ships claim they dont support VOIP or Skype, even at the more pricey plans, but I have seen lots of people on here say they work.

We have used various methods over the years, but the last few sailings we have used and liked the social media package and specifically Fb Messenger. We have also made voice and video calls via Messenger. For $5 a day you can't beat it and we found it to be very reliable. Texts are not unreasonable, but the problem is that once you have your texting on then ALL texts come through. So you may only want/need/want to pay for the important ones between your kids, but you will in fact be paying for any that come through. I like the finite pricing of $5 per day and turning off my calls/texts and unplugging - yet still have contact with my kids if they have questions etc..

Edited by Athankfulheart

We use the HUB app and buy the social plan as soon as we board. You can download the free app now, then use it to log in once you are onboard.

Just to be clear: The HUB app is only for on-board the ship. You can't use it to communicate back home. You also do not have to buy any internet package to use HUB. You can use most of it for free but if you want to chat with someone on the ship through hub, you both must enable chat by paying a 5 dollar one-time fee. That's good for the whole cruise.

Forgive me if that's not what you meant to imply - I just wanted OP to be sure they can't use HUB for off-ship communication.

If it's your first alone vacation in 12 years., Why do you want to keep in contact with your kids. If you trust your parents, let them take care of the kids and you enjoy your time alone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to be clear: The HUB app is only for on-board the ship. You can't use it to communicate back home. You also do not have to buy any internet package to use HUB. You can use most of it for free but if you want to chat with someone on the ship through hub, you both must enable chat by paying a 5 dollar one-time fee. That's good for the whole cruise.

Forgive me if that's not what you meant to imply - I just wanted OP to be sure they can't use HUB for off-ship communication.

Thanks for clarifying, no thats not what I meant to imply. I was just saying you can download the app, and in fact it is probably easier to, before getting on the ship, so that when you get on the ship you just have to log in. My husband was trying to download the app when he was already on board and it was difficult to get a good enough signal to download the app.

My husband and I just went and left our 5 year old at home with Grandparents for the first time. I put phone in airplane mode and purchased the social package through the hub for $5 the second day and the 4th day I used the wifi at the resort we did a day pass at so we could FaceTime. The other days we were "electronic leash free"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have Verizon, you should be able to use the Message+ app to text over wifi. The texts count against your plan at home. That shouldn't be a problem if you have unlimited messaging. There shouldn't be any extra charges. You would still have to buy a wifi plan.

When I was on the Inspiration in August, a text came through even though my phone was in airplane mode and everything automatic was disabled. I decided to take a chance and text my mom for the remainder of the cruise. The texts arrived in the same amount of time as they did at home. I was relieved when I got my bill and there weren't any charges for those texts. I can only use this method when on solo cruises. Sadly, this won't work when my mom is with me since she has a basic phone(no wifi).

I don't know if it matters, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. One potential caveat is that I have told two Verizon reps about this, and they seemed surprised that it worked.

Our last 3 cruises I bought a plan (don't remember exactly what it was called) for $25 for the whole week. I was able to use my tablet and send messages on faceboook. I could read all the normal fb stuff and read my e-mails. It was all I need to stay in touch for my business. If someone messaged me I could read it and answer it back. It was perfect for non emergency use. I also told those at home that I would only check my messages a couple times per day so they weren't waiting for an immediate answer.