Cancelling. Again.

ukbecky

I didn't realize you were getting 5 ports in the new itinerary. In that case it's pretty unsurprising that there's no offer of compensation, or letting you switch to another cruise for the same fare, etc. In fact I would have half expected them to say "Important news about exciting improvements to your cruise! Please, no need to thank us!" Which is kind of how they did it, apparently, for the Sky cruises rerouted to Cuba…

Life must be a constantly insulting and condescending if this has made such an impact to prattle on here about very common occurrences in the travel world.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that when people book for a specific trip, advertised ports and pay good money that we tend to get upset when the said trips, ports or other changes happen

Sure cruise lines can change things ie the fine print, but when you want to see the ports you book your trip for you do expect to see them.

Not everyone has the time for financing to go 2,3 or once a year.

To me the answers like the quote above is condescending

Someone mentioned that there are 3 or 4 other ships scheduled to be in Santorini the originally scheduled day that the Star was there - could be something to do with it? But you would think that NCL would've secured port times farther than 3 months in advance, so they would be able to notify passengers earlier. That does suck that the changes were sprung so close to the first sail date.

Santorini is a tender port, and frequently has many ships at anchor.

Stephen

No, these are 2017 sailings.

Fair enough, that changes things. There's been a lot of handwringing on here lately about cruises that are 9-12+ months away and just assumed this was the same. Thanks for clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this crap of changing itineraries and tough nut attitude is a primary reason why cruising is not more widely embraced as a vacation option by others.

Considering how surprised people seem to be on here by some of these changes, I'd be very surprised whether it is putting off non cruisers, as I doubt they are even aware of it being a possibility.

I have heard many reasons given as to why people don't cruise, but can honestly say that changing itineraries has never been mentioned.

Edited by KeithJenner

I have heard many reasons given as to why people don't cruise, but can honestly say that changing itineraries has never been mentioned.

I would totally agree with this. If there is anything that would be likely to put off anybody thinking about cruising, surely the current "The Cruise" programme on TV, must be top of the list

I object to the fact that they did it, without explanation, just because they could(apparently - since I can only guess. They don't feel the need to tell me why.). ... It was a 'because we said so' decision which is bad customer service.

But this is what you agree to whenever you book a cruise, according to the cruise contract. All cruise lines have basically the same contract, that ports can be changed for any reason. Since that is what you agree to, they do not owe you an explanation. "Executive decision" IS their 'any reason' explanation.

Edited by NMLady

But this is what you agree to whenever you book a cruise, according to the cruise contract. All cruise lines have basically the same contract, that ports can be changed for any reason. Since that is what you agree to, they do not owe you an explanation. "Executive decision" IS their 'any reason' explanation.

Sigh.

I know it is in the contract.

I know all cruise lines have the same contract.

You can not read these boards without seeing someone quote that part of the contract, daily, especially on the NCL board.

Its inclusion in the contract makes sense to cover weather problems and changes, civil uprisings and mechanical failures. It also works when port authorities change the times or close ports for whatever reason.

I have lost,gained and had ports changed for ALL of those reasons. I know that because the changes were explained to me.

Again, my problem with this is the way it was handled by NCL. I have never had a port changed because someone more important than me just wanted it changed.

My last cruise with NCL, they changed my chosen-and-booked aft balcony to a midship balcony on a higher floor. I found out at check-in and they told me it was better, because it was higher up. They did not give an explanation then either. We went to our original room, knocked on the door and...someone was in our room! I had to go back to the service desk and argue until I got back the room I had booked. I have never had that happen on another line, before or since, either.

Their dismissive attitude is irritating, and I don't think they have a lot of respect for their paying customers.

Edited by ukbecky

I hate the way NCL handles things and have booked and cancelled a number of NCL cruises since my last one in 2010.

I agree that I would be upset if my itinerary got changed with no reason but I have to ask, given the quote above, why you keep booking with NCL?

Lois

NMLady

Please reread the first paragraph of ulbeck's first post and stop treating her as a rookie. Next try to grasp what she has been trying to tell you please.

I agree that I would be upset if my itinerary got changed with no reason but I have to ask, given the quote above, why you keep booking with NCL?

Lois

I took a break from NCL for several years, but then(just like so many others), I got roped in by their "deals".

This latest one was a European cruise, so charges for "free" packages were included at the time of booking. Instead of being sprung on me when I board. Much more up-front and not as deceptive as their usual practice.

I always feel like people who are dead set on visiting a particular place, should go visit that place. People who are dead set on cruising, should cruise. It's nice when both can be knocked out in one trip, but as you clearly know, that comes with risks. Sorry it didn't work out.

I guess I don't see how a detailed explanation of this decision would make it any better for you, so maybe you should think differently about that. The only thing you can control is how you choose to react.

NMLady

Please reread the first paragraph of ulbeck's first post and stop treating her as a rookie. Next try to grasp what she has been trying to tell you please.

I am well aware of the fact that she is not a rookie. I also grasp very well that she is saying she was not given a reason for the change. And I am reminding her that according to the cruise contract she is not owed a reason.

It would gave been much nicer if she just cancelled without posting it. I think it is ignorant to think that NCL, or any line, would change something for no good reason. Yes, they could have told you why, but they didn't. In any business, a decision that affects thousands of customers is never made lightly and all consequences are weighed.

Get over it, move on, and book on another line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First of all, I have been on NCL before and I was just saying that if I was cancelled without compensation I would hestitate to book from that cruise line again. Nothing is a sure bet. I have been cancelled with another cruise line. With a little bit of heart and soul, I was rebooked without a hitch. This is a cutthroat business with cruise lines,so a little patience is the key word.

Lol i love the people who are bothered by criticism of a huge corporate punch in the face. I hope you get punched in the face with a smile from NCL in the future. Maybe then you wont be so quick to defend a company that has zero interest in defending you. 🙄 always curious how many of these posters have significant (significant for their income bracket) stock in the companies

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

First of all, I have been on NCL before and I was just saying that if I was cancelled without compensation I would hestitate to book from that cruise line again. Nothing is a sure bet. I have been cancelled with another cruise line. With a little bit of heart and soul, I was rebooked without a hitch. This is a cutthroat business with cruise lines,so a little patience is the key word.

There is no talk of cancelling without compensation.

This is a change to a couple of ports.

With cancellations you are generally given a number of options and some OBC as compensation for the change.

Edited by KeithJenner

I could have. I chose not to.

I think you have a good complaint and every right to start your own post about it so others will know how NCL handled it. When it comes to cruising, I want to hear both the good and bad things that occur. Some posters don't want to hear any complaints. These forums can be rough at times.