Breakaway 13 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (plus Haven) again

ncklhaus

LOL. No need to do that. I knew the posting guidelines. :D

Actually, I mentioned my side job and I guess that was a no-no. I don't understand why they deleted the entire post and not just the part that wasn't allowed. No advertising. :p

I'm ready to continue my review with day 7 St Maarten, but first I wanted to say Thank you to everyone that is reading this. I know most of you aren't commenting and that's ok. I can see by the number of views this thread is getting that there are a lot of you out there.

Dad update:

The pain medication is making him extremely confused. They are 75% sure it the meds but it is possible that the cancer has spread to his brain. His pelvis and hip joint has already been destroyed by the cancer. It has also spread to his lungs and liver. The plan was for him to have 5 radiation treatments to his hip, for pain relief only and then to start him on 3 types of chemotherapy infusions every 2 weeks for the rest of his life.

We are now deciding whether or not to try the chemo. We are looking at quality of life vs quantity of life. He will be miserable on chemo. Imagine needing to vomit and you have a broken hip and pelvis. It will be a horrible way to live.

I'm just so sad. This is my daddy. My daughters grandpa. I can't imagine life without him.

And my household update:

I think Melissa has the flu, fever of 101 after taking ibuprofen, Mike is teetering on getting it, his temp hovering around 100, and I'm really hoping i don't get it. I've got a pounding headache that just won't quit, but no fever.

If my photo hosting site starts working again I will be back shortly with St Maarten.

Hi. So sorry to hear the news of your Dad. Sending prayers your way. The virus that went around my house was a fever and excruciating headache. Lasted about 4 days. Hope its not that, it was awful!

Edited by CobyTA

Good morning St Maarten!

What a beautiful sight to wake up to!

20170108_075758_zps44qjeyky.jpg

20170108_075803_zps5ofhjx78.jpg

This morning Melissa and I would be going to Maho Beach. Mike wasn't feeling great and being out in the heat was making him feel worse. He would stay on the ship and relax and Melissa and I would go to the famous beach where the planes come in right over your head.

It's actually pretty dangerous so the tour operator had us (me) sign waivers.

20170108_102629_zps1bjqp2tr.jpg

20170108_102635_zpsjrk7kpkf.jpg

I'm going to stop here for now because my headache is getting worse. If it gets better soo, I will post more tonight. Otherwise, I'll be back tomorrow.

Thank you for doing such an extensive review. I'm really enjoying it and is making me wish it was March! I hope you and your family feel better. And your dad is in my prayers.

Thank you so much. I'm happy you are enjoying the review.

So sorry about your dad. Hope you and your family heal quickly.

Thank you. :(

My headache is almost gone now thanks to Imitrex so I will post a little bit more.

We got off the ship and boarded our excursion bus to take us to Maho Beach. We had a really nice bus driver and a really funny tour guide that told us about the island.

Some pictures of the island from on the bus.

20170108_103412_zps19gpjurx.jpg

20170108_103423_zpstu2zb3gp.jpg

20170108_103536_zpstldtveew.jpg

20170108_103545_zpst5gvscir.jpg

20170108_103612_zpsdvycqs6h.jpg

The roads were very hilly. Is that the right way to say that? I'm not sure but they really were. You can kind of see from this picture.

20170108_103550_zps97rwhssw.jpg

20170108_103617_zpsrxq60wk7.jpg

20170108_104116_zpsa03ffk5m.jpg

20170108_104119_zpsvnaz1dew.jpg

We pull into a parking lot near the beach and RIGHT NEXT to the airport. This is going to be crazy. Where's the beach? Seriously? That's the beach? It's this tiny strip of sand and there is a 2 lane road separating the airport from the beach. OMG.

And it seems like it is high tide. We ask for chairs ($10 each and we are maybe 10 feet from the water. I mean the water was right there!

20170108_114823_zps8jx7gdyf.jpg

20170108_115034_zpsfgyglx43.jpg

No really. It's right there!

20170108_114845_zpsub1ybaee.jpg

And the water was rough. We put our belongings on our chairs as high up as possible. The water was going under our chairs at times. Getting into the water was crazy! The waves would knock you down if you were not ready for it. Once you were in and past the crashing waves it was really nice. But then you still needed to be able to get out! Melissa and I would try and time our escape so we wouldn't get knocked down. Most of the time, it worked. Oh and once you got in the water, it got deep fast!

20170108_115036_zpsv7agf6hj.jpg

After getting battered by the waves and watching some planes come in REALLY LOW, we were thirsty. The beach was attached to a bar/restaurant, so we figured we'd get lunch. But first lets use the bathroom. That's when I saw it. It was the most beautiful sight. They had a pool with padded lounge chairs right next to the bar. $10 for a chair and $5 to use the pool. All day. We only had an hour left before we needed to meet our bus again but we decided to use the pool and one chair.

20170108_135658_zpsulsqtke0.jpg

We ordered a pepperoni pizza (delicious), a coke for Melissa, and a Guavaberry daiquiri for me (yum).

They had all kinds of food there. Even lobsters.

20170108_135725_zps1apvqv7d.jpg

20170108_135647_zps9ix29qqi.jpg

Like I said we were really close to the airport

20170108_135922_zps9nwfne1s.jpg

I have some cool video of the planes landing but for some reason they won't upload.

A tip about sunscreen. You should use it. Just bringing it and forgetting it in your bag doesn't help. LOL

I love the different license plates on the island. I know, it's such a random thing but I thought they were neat.

20170108_140049_zpsodzkn9vw.jpg

20170108_140055_zpsxgsph4o0.jpg

20170108_140100_zpsmcnm0fjt.jpg

On our way back to the bus, Melissa's hat blew off into oncoming traffic. A traffic agent saw it and tried to stop the car from running over it but he didn't stop. Crunch under the front tire. Just before the back tire was about to crunch it again, the traffic agent lady banged on the hood of the car and yelled at the driver with some colorful language to stop where he was. She retrieved Melissa's hat and miraculously only one shell was broken on it. The hat survived!

Back on the bus.

20170108_142236_zpshyzguedh.jpg

De plane, de plane!

20170108_142243_zpsekplwbov.jpg

20170108_142852_zpsarasocmn.jpg

Thank you for the cruise review.

I hope your family, especially your father gets better.

Odd question, are you the one that got my ToG Tea Pot at the CC M&G?

Thank you.

And yes, I have the tea pot on display in my kitchen. :D

20170108_115036_zpsv7agf6hj.jpg

After getting battered by the waves and watching some planes come in REALLY LOW, we were thirsty. The beach was attached to a bar/restaurant, so we figured we'd get lunch. But first lets use the bathroom. That's when I saw it. It was the most beautiful sight. They had a pool with padded lounge chairs right next to the bar. $10 for a chair and $5 to use the pool. All day. We only had an hour left before we needed to meet our bus again but we decided to use the pool and one chair.

20170108_135658_zpsulsqtke0.jpg

We ordered a pepperoni pizza (delicious), a coke for Melissa, and a Guavaberry daiquiri for me (yum).

They had all kinds of food there. Even lobsters.

20170108_135725_zps1apvqv7d.jpg

20170108_135647_zps9ix29qqi.jpg

Like I said we were really close to the airport

20170108_135922_zps9nwfne1s.jpg

I have some cool video of the planes landing but for some reason they won't upload.

A tip about sunscreen. You should use it. Just bringing it and forgetting it in your bag doesn't help. LOL

We went here 2 yrs ago, and had drinks at the Sunset bar & grill. Is that where you were? Or no? I would have loved to have known this pool was there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

JoAnn,

Although I'm not an NCL cruiser, I very much enjoyed your last big trip report and this one is just as good. I'm laughing at the missing underwear, and so glad that Melissa only had a UTI and not something more serious.

As to your dad, I'm so very sorry. My dad passed from lung cancer and it happened very quickly after we found out the definitive diagnosis. He'll be gone 18 years this June. My oldest son was only a bit over a year old, and my younger one never knew him.

Please know that we're all thinking of you and him and sending prayers his way.

And while I'm sorry that Build a Boob 1 didn't work, it sounds like BAB2 might have ended up with a better outcome. Hope you're healing nicely from all of your surgery as well.

Hope Melissa and Mike feel better soon.

JoAnn,

Although I'm not an NCL cruiser, I very much enjoyed your last big trip report and this one is just as good. I'm laughing at the missing underwear, and so glad that Melissa only had a UTI and not something more serious.

As to your dad, I'm so very sorry. My dad passed from lung cancer and it happened very quickly after we found out the definitive diagnosis. He'll be gone 18 years this June. My oldest son was only a bit over a year old, and my younger one never knew him.

Please know that we're all thinking of you and him and sending prayers his way.

And while I'm sorry that Build a Boob 1 didn't work, it sounds like BAB2 might have ended up with a better outcome. Hope you're healing nicely from all of your surgery as well.

Hope Melissa and Mike feel better soon.

Thanks so much for writing to me. It is appreciated.

We (dad included) have decided to not have the chemo. The drs feel it will not benefit him and will just make him suffer. He will be coming home from the hospital, most likely on Friday, in the care of at home Hospice. Everything is happening so fast, it's like a bad dream.