Breakaway 13 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (plus Haven) again

ncklhaus

More please....just amazing ' date=',we are book on Breakaway 2-26 and reading this is hyping me up bid Time...have a corner aft haven suite on deck 9....can't wait for more ...But do take time to be with your family ...just lost my Mother last month...and holding her hand in those last moments were very special...Bless you and your Family

Sent from my iPad using Forums

More coming up now. I've had trouble with uploading most of the day, it finally started working again at 9pm.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

The Breakaway Haven is Heaven. :D

Just in case you don't already know, the license plates that are blue and white with the "F" on them are for cars registered in French St Martin. The plates with the "M" are registered in Dutch St Maarten. There are also green plates with an "R" on them and those are rental cars (although rentals often also have the French or Dutch side plates as well). But if you rent a car that has the rental "R" plate, you are a walking (or driving) billboard just asking for solicitation as you have a big "tourist" sign written on you :)

I did not know that. Cool info. Especially about the rental cars. :eek:

Thank goodness it was only a UTI. We use to always purchase the insurance with NCL until I did some research and found out if you do need to be med-evaced, their coverage is not nearly enough. My DH has numerous medical problems now so I always get trip insurance somewhere else now. It's no more money, sometimes less, and the coverage is much better, especially to be airlifted (a million vs $25k). Cruise critic has tons of helpful info on it. So glad it never got to that point for your family. Love your review. We are booked on our 3rd Breakaway cruise in May. Do you happen to remember if they still offer a 25% discount on the Cirque show if you book the first night?

I didn't go to Cirque this time but looking at the dailies from the first day, it doesn't look like they even had it on the first night. It was on the second night, but it was not discounted.

I'm so sorry your dad is going through this, and I send my good thoughts and prayers to you and your family. My dad briefly tried chemo and it made him really sick, and also ruined the tastes of his favorite foods. He lost some quality time because of it, and it wouldn't have helped him anyway. Hospice was a wonderful service - he had no pain and was comfortable. I just wish he had decided to go that route sooner.

Thank for your amazing photos and information! My family is taking our first cruise on Norwegian this year. We'll be in a 2 bedroom in the Haven on the Escape. I'll probably be viewing this thread over and over before we go!

I'm sorry for your loss. We will see if we can get him home comfortably. If not, he will go to an inpatient hospice.

We are seriously considering the Escape for when it comes to NYC. I'd love to try her, but when we cruise, we don't want to fly to get there.

Enjoy the review and thanks for following along.

We didn't have anything planned for today. If you read my last review, you would know how our last excursion in Antigua went. We just didn't want to go through that again.

We slept in this morning and woke up around 9ish. Well, Mike and I did. Melissa just kept sleeping. Her room stays nice and dark if the door is closed.

Antigua at around 9:30am.

20170109_092024_zpsrdndgf0n.jpg

20170109_092037_zps2zky3vkt.jpg

Since Melissa was still sleeping, I decided to let Mike hang out in the room and I would go wander around the port area. You know, and look for underwear. LOL.

The view from the dock

20170109_103411_zpsjibtckp8.jpg

This little guy was following me around for a bit

20170109_103713_zpsvybxo1e7.jpg

20170109_103717_zpslgvm74xt.jpg

He was so sweet. I was feeling bad for him until some of the locals told me that he was better fed than they were!

One thing I need to point out about the port shopping area of Antigua. Notice the planking that I was walking on. It was very uneven and there were broken and loose slats here and there. In order to get to many of the shops you have to go up a curb that is around 8 to 10 inches high. This is not a port that is accessible for anyone in a wheelchair or has difficulty walking.

There are also many people asking for money "to buy school books". People were selling cds, cotton candy. People offered to give tours. I just said "No thank you" or just kept walking. Except for the one boy that needed money for books. Or the other boy that also needed money for books. Or the guy playing the steel drums on the pier. I'm a sucker. :rolleyes:

I didn't find any underwear. Surprise, surprise. But I did buy 2 bottles of Antiguan Rum. Same thing, right?

Walking back to the ship

20170109_110259_zpsiaam5rpu.jpg

It was around 11:30 when I got back to our room and Melissa was just waking up.

While she was getting ready for the day, I took some pictures from the balcony.

20170109_121054_zpstt2yptle.jpg

20170109_121104_zpsrca97rj5.jpg

20170109_121108_zpsqbyw2ycf.jpg

20170109_121111_zpsnvl4fsrx.jpg

The P and O Azura was doing their life boat drill

20170109_121250_zpsfs9b6uf6.jpg

20170109_121319_zpsgbt0liox.jpg

I had a great view of the Breakaway's bridge

20170109_121355_zpshyvvxokf.jpg

Once Melissa was ready, we went up to the Haven lounge for a drink and to looks at the pictures on the picture table. I loved this one of Melissa (don't worry, I bought it)

20170109_125501_zpshy3hchjy.jpg

We met up with the Broadway singer, her husband and their baby and we decided to go for lunch in Margaritaville.

Margaritaville menu

20170109_130639_zpstuuhs9vs.jpg

We ordered Conch fritters, Hot Pretzel Sticks, and Volcano Nachos as appetizers.

We were all so hungry that I didn't get pictures of the appetizers until the only thing left was some of the Nachos. They were probably 8 inches tall when they came. A true Volcano. With 5 of us eating them, this is what was left over.

20170109_135448_zps3fn6yfo9.jpg

Sorry, but they were really yummy!

And I got the "Feelin' Hot Hot Hot" Margarita. So good!

And then our main dishes came

Volcano Burger

20170109_135523_zps3wqxn0lc.jpg

Grilled Chicken Sandwich

20170109_135444_zpsyinfqq05.jpg

Cheddar BBQ Burger

20170109_135440_zpszyzs8sqw.jpg

Key West Fish Sandwich

20170109_135419_zps7lubynys.jpg

reminds me of a time when my husband packed for me b/c I was working crazy hours before a trip......we went out on a friend's boat. I had a blouse, sweatpants and flats. Not cute. A few drinks in and it was all good! Love your review, best wishes for you and your family.

reminds me of a time when my husband packed for me b/c I was working crazy hours before a trip......we went out on a friend's boat. I had a blouse, sweatpants and flats. Not cute. A few drinks in and it was all good! Love your review, best wishes for you and your family.

LOL!!!

Thanks so much.

Nachos look like something I would really like try. Thanks for the pics. Hope your family is feeling better.

The Nachos were excellent!! The chips were warm and crispy, like they were just made. My mouth is watering thinking about them.v:o

My daughter is around 85% better. She was outside playing in the 17 inches of snow we got yesterday! We were poo pooing the snow because we had a snow blower. Yup. It broke down before we were able to break through from the driveway to the street. I shoveled enough to be able to power our trucks out of the driveway. We have a Dodge Nitro and a Dodge Durango. Both with 20 inch tires and lots of power. The Durango is brand new and has a HEMI engine. But by then I was finished. Mike rebroke his ribs shoveling (he has bronchitis and broke his ribs from coughing) so I was finally able to get 2 kids to come and dig out the rest of the driveway, a path to the front door, the front steps, a path to the back door, the back steps, and the back patio so the dogs could do their business. They only charged us $60. We felt it wasn't enough so we gave them each a $25 tip.

Going back to your original sentiment, Mike was at 70%, but now he's back to 50%.

We were supposed to go to my cousins wedding tomorrow in New Jersey and spend the night, but now I'm going alone. What a shame. No snoring next to me. :D

I don't know how much I will get through tonight, so please forgive me. My dad just came home from the hospital today and he is dying. He is in at home Hospice. I don't know how long we have with him, and of course we moved an hour away from him in June to be closer to my Mother-in-law. She passed away in November. I used to live 5 minutes from my parents. Figures.

Actually, I'm not in the right mind set to post tonight. I'm sorry. Hopefully tomorrow after my cousins wedding I will be able to post, otherwise it will be Sunday evening before I'm back. Love in advance to all of you for your kind words.

I have been a quiet but avid reader of your posts . . . just wanted to jump in to say how sorry I am for what you are going through with your dad. I haven't dealt with this with a parent but watched my grandmother in her last stages in hospice--it is just heartbreaking, even when they are comfortable. Wishing you comfort and strength and the most quality time you can have with your dad.

I have been a quiet but avid reader of your posts . . . just wanted to jump in to say how sorry I am for what you are going through with your dad. I haven't dealt with this with a parent but watched my grandmother in her last stages in hospice--it is just heartbreaking, even when they are comfortable. Wishing you comfort and strength and the most quality time you can have with your dad.

Thank you so much for your kind words and also for following along. I will be visiting my dad next week. So far he's ok. He's reoriented and in really good spirits. He's sleeping a lot but he's laughing in his sleep so I guess that's good.

I have been following your wonderful review. I hope your Dad will be comfortable and you all find peace.xoxo

Thank you so much. It means a lot. :)

Loving following your review Prayers for your father' date=' you, and your family. So sorry hes going thru this awful disease. Cancer ***** I wish you peace.[/quote']

Thanks so much. Cancer sucks. :mad: