Best to obtain

KathyJud

How do we know. You have not told us anything at all about you, your health status, where you are going, etc., etc., etc.

Your question is the equivalent of going on to a car site and posting "car- what is the best to buy". Would you do that.

DON

I agree with Donald

Here's a list of variations to consider

$10K max medical coverage vs. $250K

pre-existing medical coverage vs. none

Primary payer vs. secondary payer

job related coverage vs. none

Cancel for any reason vs. none

4 hour trip delay vs. 24 hour trip delay

family member emergency vs. only travel partners

24 years old vs.84 year old

your net worth is -$150K vs your net worth is $1.5M (level of risk)

are you flying or driving to the port

all these question help determine your level of risk and can decide which policy is best for YOU. Not for me, Donald, or your next door neighbor.

Also note that travel insurance is "reimbursement" only. In other words you pay up front for emergency flights, or medical care with cash or credit card, then, when you get home you submit a claim for reimbursement.

I agree with Donald

Here's a list of variations to consider

$10K max medical coverage vs. $250K

pre-existing medical coverage vs. none

Primary payer vs. secondary payer

job related coverage vs. none

Cancel for any reason vs. none

4 hour trip delay vs. 24 hour trip delay

family member emergency vs. only travel partners

24 years old vs.84 year old

your net worth is -$150K vs your net worth is $1.5M (level of risk)

are you flying or driving to the port

all these question help determine your level of risk and can decide which policy is best for YOU. Not for me, Donald, or your next door neighbor.

Also note that travel insurance is "reimbursement" only. In other words you pay up front for emergency flights, or medical care with cash or credit card, then, when you get home you submit a claim for reimbursement.

Thank you. I should have made this post more clear. I have always used Travel Guard. I just wanted some recommendations of other companies for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Travel Insured, and they've paid a few claims (including 2 reasonably large ones), without any nonsense. That's what counts, after all.

We get the insurance through

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They work with several travel insurance companies, and is often more than one type of policy offered by each company.

They've helped us to get the right coverage for our needs, and sometimes found a less expensive policy for us for a particular trip.

Thank you. I should have made this post more clear. I have always used Travel Guard. I just wanted some recommendations of other companies for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are quite a few different insurance companies in the trip insurance business...offering all kinds of different coverages. If you want to do some research you might start with 3 popular web sites. One, already mentioned is the Tripinsurancestore.com. Two others are squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com.

The reason I have mentioned these 3 sites is that they each offer policies from multiple companies, offer the ability to compare, and have both online service and toll free numbers.

Personally, we do not think its wise to make specific recommendations until we know a lot about the potential insured. Everyone has their own risk tolerance, obsessions, concerns, etc. This is not a one policy fits all....but rather find the best policy that meets your own personal needs, wants, and budget.

And there are also a lot of experienced travelers who do not even bother with cancellation insurance (including moi). In many cases, folks may only be spending unnecessary money for duplicate coverage. For example, there are some major credit cards that offer cancellation insurance as part of their regular benefits. And many folks have some medical coverage through their regular medical insurance. This is just a few reasons why folks are well advised to analyze their own personal situation and do what is best for themselves.

Hank