VegasChic

DSC04039-XL.jpg

DSC04032-XL.jpg

DSC04010-XL.jpg

DSC04011-XL.jpg

DSC04020-XL.jpg

These homes face Auke Bay...

DSC04052-XL.jpg

It was a great first day exploring Alaska but we were exhausted. We got back on the ship around 8:30 and I believe we grabbed dinner at the buffet. After looking over the freestyle daily, I don't recall doing anything that evening. I think we went back to the cabin and went to sleep to get rested for our early morning in Skagway the next day.

Next Up:

Skagway

Rental Car - Scenic Drive on Klondike Hwy

Historic Downtown Carcross Shopping and Lunch

Caribou Crossing

Emerald Lake

Bear Sighting

Thank you vegas chic this review is AMAZING, it is really making me look forward to my trip. Every morning I cant wait to log in to see and read more about your cruise. You have a beautiful family I am so glad you enjoyed your cruise and are willing to share it with all of us

Thank you vegas chic this review is AMAZING, it is really making me look forward to my trip. Every morning I cant wait to log in to see and read more about your cruise. You have a beautiful family I am so glad you enjoyed your cruise and are willing to share it with all of us

Thank You for the sweet compliments and for reading along, it's nice to know that this review is helpful and inspiring to those planning Alaska cruises. This was such a memorable trip and I feel like I'm reliving it all over again. I just finished sorting through my pictures for Skagway so I will get started on it. Thanks for your patience;)

Vivian, your photos are absolutely amazing! I especially like those you took of the whale(s). How close to land were you when you shot those? We've been on about three Auke Bay whale watches, with only a couple of whales sighted, and they were way out in the middle of the Bay. The beautiful background in your photos really enhances the look of the whales.

Terrific review, terrific photos! I can hardly wait for more.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Skagway, Alaska

Arrival: 7:00 AM

All Aboard: 7:45 PM

Weather: 64 cloudy with scattered light rain

I was convinced that I would book the White Pass Scenic Railway excursion but after speaking with a friend who had done it the year before, I changed my mind. I’m so happy that I decided to rent a car instead and do it ourselves. We could get off when we wanted, eat when we wanted, go at our own pace and blast the music while seeing all the beautiful scenery. This was one of my favorite days of the trip. The weather was all over the place. Some areas were overcast/cloudy, sometimes sunny and we even got some light rain, it got colder as we traveled.

The goal was to drive to Emerald Lake (74 miles each way) using “Murray’s Guide” which is a 33-page pdf book with mile by mile details of the sights along the Klondike Highway. I purchased it online and printed it out before our trip. Let me just say that I wished I would have read it and prepared beforehand because I missed a lot. I thought I could just read along as we drove but I was constantly distracted by the scenery to keep track. Then I would miss some of the mile markers and would get off track. However, when I was following it and paying attention it was a great asset for our excursion. I highly recommend getting it if you plan to do the drive.

We rented a full-size car from Avis for the whole day and paid a total of $142. We picked it up sometime between 8:30 – 9:00 am but we were off the ship by 7:45 am.

I really enjoyed learning about the Gold Rush Era and history of Skagway that when I was finally there I truly appreciated walking the streets and seeing the old-fashioned buildings and saloons. I read about it in my Fodor’s “Complete Guide to Alaska Cruises Book” it was another great prep resource.

We walked around the town for a bit as Eddie was waiting for the bank to open. The town is so cute I loved it and wished I could have had more time to explore all the historic sites.

DSC04093-XL.jpg

DSC04082-XL.jpg

DSC04090-XL.jpg

DSC04092-XL.jpg

DSC04083-XL.jpg

DSC04081-XL.jpg

The scenery along the Klondike Hwy beyond exceeded my expectations, it was the scenery I craved and dreamt about!! I have a book from Nat Geo called “Drives of a Lifetime” and this drive is featured there (rightfully so).

There were waterfalls throughout…

DSC04098-XL.jpg

WFs.jpg

DSC04107-XL.jpg

DSC04109-XL.jpg

DSC04124-XL.jpg

DSC04122-X2.jpg

Crossing the Capt. William Moore Suspension Bridge was a bit scary as it crosses an active earthquake fault and is only anchored down on one side to allow it to move as needed. From what I’ve read the bridge is currently being replaced.

DSC04120-XL.jpg

DSC04123-XL.jpg

DSC04130-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC04126-XL.jpg

DSC04134-XL.jpg

My husband stopped the car on the side of the road, jumped out, crossed the street and grabbed some snow from the side of the road and threw it at us. That started a snowball fight and it was the first time my daughter and husband had seen and touched snow.

DSC04146-XL.jpg

DSC04141-XL.jpg

DSC04148-XL.jpg

DSC04154-XL.jpg

DSC04160-X2.jpg

DSC04168-XL.jpg

DSC04193-XL.jpg

At mile 22 we reached Fraser and the Canada Customs Port. This is also the point where passengers on the WPYR (White Pass Yukon Route) train and bus switch connections. We had to report at Customs and show our passports but no stamps! We answered a few questions and were on our way enjoying more gorgeous scenery!

DSC04171-XL.jpg

DSC04176-XL.jpg

DSC04180-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC04184-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC04186-XL.jpg

At mile 65, we reached downtown Carcross! There was a visitor’s center, crafts, a bakery, restaurant, art, etc., I was not able to take too many pictures it starting pouring when we got there. Eddie went into Caribou Crossing Coffee (hey sell muffins, soup, sandwiches, etc.,) they were very friendly with my hubby like if I wasn't even there. I was hungry and wanted something else so Olivia and I walked over to the Bistro on Bennett, Eddie joined us after his snack. I ordered a salmon sandwich and it was the best salmon sandwich I ever had!!! I think Eddie had Cod (not sure) but it was all so yummy.

DSC04265-XL.jpg

DSC04253-XL.jpg

Blog7%20-2.jpg

While we were eating, we saw the WPYR Train pass through….

DSC04247-XL.jpg

After lunch, we stopped in at Matthew Watson General Store and I purchased a few Christmas ornaments, an inukshuk wine stopper, a handmade dreamcatcher and a mini totem pole.

DSC04263-XL.jpg

Blog8.jpg

Emerald Lake was our turn-around point and on the way back we stopped at Caribou Crossing at mile 67. Although one can probably spend several hours there, we were there only for a short while. They have many activities which include; gold panning, dog-cart rides, a petting zoo, baby huskies, a museum, gift shop, restaurant, ice cream shop and more. We checked out the animals, browsed the museum and got some ice cream.

DSC04313-XL.jpg

Blog1.jpg

Somewhere along the highway, I spotted the WPYR….

Blog2.jpg

DSC04356-XL.jpg

The “Welcome to Alaska” sign is at mile 14….

DSC04357-Edit-XL.jpg

Another roadside waterfall…

DSC04375-Edit-X2.jpg

We took that road tour also. Your photos of Emerald Lake are just like looking at it. Some of your photos would make an awesome puzzle. I saw a place to have a photo of your own made into a puzzle. Great postcards too. Thanks for posting.

Thank You! Emerald Lake is beautiful. Definitely going to check out the custom picture puzzle thing. I love puzzles!! Thank you for reading:)

Thank you for this review, you are giving me many tips for our cruise in May, keep it coming... LOVE IT!

Amazing pictures I must add too

Thank you!! So glad you're loving it! It's a great destination, can't wait to go back!

Add me to those enjoying your posts and pix! We are on the Pearl this coming May and your pix are giving me a MUCH better idea of what to expect than anything else I have seen!

Thank you for reading along! I'm glad it's helpful to the planning of your upcoming cruise if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Vivian, your photos are absolutely amazing! I especially like those you took of the whale(s). How close to land were you when you shot those? We've been on about three Auke Bay whale watches, with only a couple of whales sighted, and they were way out in the middle of the Bay. The beautiful background in your photos really enhances the look of the whales.

Terrific review, terrific photos! I can hardly wait for more.

Thank you for the compliments!! We were pretty far out if it weren't for my zoom lens I've wouldn't have known what I was looking at. I didn't realize we would be that far away but nevertheless, It was a neat experience.