How often do NCL ships take on supplies, and where?

This video is about an RCL ship but it shows what goes into provisioning a ship with food.

https://youtu.be/FaAtUYi-pg4

Thank you for posting this! Honestly I think it should be a prerequisite for everyone to watch before cruising. How any of the meals are outstanding is a mystery!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We were on a Jade cruise a couple of years ago when we were delayed on a southbound departure from Civitavecchia because of an incident at Livorno that meant that most of the containers with incoming supplies were being held in the port while the incident was cleared. The captain made an announcement about the delay and we got a bit more information at a Town Hall later in the trip.

We were told that most of the food and drink supplies, except for fresh veg and fruit are container shipped from the US and then road hauled down to Civi from the freight terminal at Livorno and obviously the captain did not want to sail with most of that stuff missing. We gathered that senior staff were sent out to local suppliers to see what could be bought locally to add to what they managed to get from the road shipments that did get in.

It would have been great to see these guys turning up at a local store with their credit cards and a list with the likes of 10,000 litres of milk and 5,000 kgs of chicken on it, not to mention the 10,000 Kg of steak. I guess there might have been a simpler way, but getting enough provisions for over 3,500 people for a week in a couple of hours or so when the Miami lifeline was broken would be quite a challenge.

Fortunately, a number of the containers did manage to get through to us after only a couple of hours delay but I would say that the steaks in Cagney's were a bit less tender than the usual fare and some menu items did actually run out on the last couple of days. I guess the officers' credit cards would have been pretty maxed out though but the galley teams certainly did a great job on that cruise with what they had despite the problem anyway.

It's true. I've heard it as well. There are places like Mitsuwa in NJ, who will fly over a huge fresh tuna from Japan and slice it fresh for customers once a year for $$$$

I've heard that they keep salads in water and it preserves the leaves :) at least on a 10 day cruise.

At the tuna markets in Japan where the tuna sells for figures in the tens of thousands and even more are FROZEN AS HARD AS ROCKS.. They are slightly processed (heads, tails and gills removed) and flash frozen in order to prevent them from losing quality during the time they are hauled in till they are sold in the market which may be days weeks or even months, since tuna fishing involves following the fish..

Here is a clip of a $600,000.00 frozen tuna.

https://qz.com/878980/a-japanese-sushi-chain-owner-just-bought-a-600000-tuna-at-tsukiji-fish-market-for-good-luck/

bosco

For the most part, supplies are only taken on at the embarkation port. There are exceptions, but generally only at embarkation.

For Buenos Aires to Santiago, Chile, we took on supplies at Montevideo, Uruguay, which was the 2nd day of the cruise. I assume that it had something to do with port capacity or port fees or something like that. They were far from being finished after all-aboard time, so many of us stood at the Promenade Deck rail and cheered them on. It was actually very interesting to watch.