Favorite Snokeling Port?

CozGurl

We had a super day on our snorkel tour with Radical Adventures in Roatan. The trip on the owners' catamaran was fun; the snorkeling (two locations) was good; the lunch, snacks and drinks were abundant and delicious; and the crew was fantastic and so friendly!

I second Bonaire! Wonderful. Roatan comes in 2nd - we love the Maya Key excursion, the drop-off there is amazing, and a great lunch, too. The reef up around Belize is still pretty good, the coral is dying off just about everywhere tho, I've noticed a huge difference in the past 10 years. For snorkeling I'd do the Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and usually Grand Cayman (sometimes Costa Maya) - a great itinerary. Booked for that one again 3-18.

Grand cayman is fantastic for snorkeling. We were disappointed with the beach snorkeling in Roatan. The reef was mostly dead there. My husband did take a fantastic dive excursion tin Roatan , however.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Grand cayman is fantastic for snorkeling. We were disappointed with the beach snorkeling in Roatan. The reef was mostly dead there. My husband did take a fantastic dive excursion tin Roatan , however.

snorkeling and beach do not mix well.... most people do not realize that standing on coral kills it. And coral only grows about an inch per year, so ... that is why coral near shore is always dead.

If you go out away from a beach, you will find Roatan has beautiful reefs, particularly if you take a boat to them, away from the crowds. I am a diver, and trust me, Roatan has some of the healthiest reefs in the Caribbean.

May I ask where in Grand Cayman is the best? We were just there and went to Cemetery Beach, just ok, not great!

For me it is. Hawaii. I am headed again 2/13 for a couple weeks. I go to Kona and Maui.

I think Carnival has winner snorkel itineraries for cheap Caribbean cruises. Just off the Glory and Splendor, Sunday.

I completely disagree some above Roatan claims. The reef is alive and well at Tabyanna, excellent shore entry snorkeling. Interesting there were numerous boat snorkeling tours right next to me. 😎😎😎. Was told to stay with group by one vendor.

Hi,

We will be travelling to Bonaire on next cruise - first time visit. Does anyone have suggestions on where to snorkel? on own or with excursion?

thanks!

Depends....

if you already own your gear, and taking it with you, including booties to walk on the coral at the beaches, then shore snorkeling is easy.

If you do not own gear, then I would suggest renting at a dive shop and snorkeling at the dive shop entrance, pier, ladder, etc.

There are a couple of recommendations....like taking a taxi to Buddy Dive resort, and using their "front yard". Ditto the resort just north of them, and just south...Capt Don's and SandDollar resorts.. great shore diving there, we have done it many times.

Resorts closer to town.... like Divi or Plaza have shore diving.

If you are renting a car for day, and have gear...go south of town and stop anywhere you see the Yellow painted rock with a dive site name on it. They mark all snorkel/dive sites on the island. They look like this:

bonaire-national-marine.jpg