Drink Prices and Cheers Break Even?

mamiamjo

Question: if you consider the average cruise has 3-4 ports of call, can you still drink the break even number of drinks a day considering that on a port of call, you are on the ship a lot less time for each day to be able to drink?

With the drink package you also get bottled water. On port days I get like 3 mojitos and 3 margaritas and pour them in water bottles to carry around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you're back on board by 500 and you stay up till 1200, that gives you 7 hours to drink your 6 drinks to be ahead. 2 before dinner, 2 with dinner, 2 after dinner. As they say, easy peasy. Also remember to have an espresso or cappuccino with breakfast and take a large bottle of water when you go on your port tour. Also remember that the adult milkshakes are included as well if you're on the Sunshine or Vista. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/ShakeSpotMenupdf.ashx

What is an adult milkshake?

Most ice cream shops in Europe put alcohol on their ice cream. I've started to see it a lot in restaurants and apparently the cruise ships are on board. Think baileys in a chocolate milk shake. Then imagine 10 things like that with different flavors and all jazzed up fancy.

Most ice cream shops in Europe put alcohol on their ice cream. I've started to see it a lot in restaurants and apparently the cruise ships are on board. Think baileys in a chocolate milk shake. Then imagine 10 things like that with different flavors and all jazzed up fancy.

Mmmmm... sounds yummy!

You would see if you clicked on the link I provided that the Shake Spot on the Sunshine and Vista have a plethora of alcohol infused milk shakes to consume. Frozen Irish Coffee consists of Bailey's, espresso and coffee ice cream. Dark & Stormy consists of Goslings rum, ginger beer and vanilla ice cream. They are 7.75 each if you don't have Cheers. And yes, since they have alcohol they do count against your 15 per day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

You would see if you clicked on the link I provided that the Shake Spot on the Sunshine and Vista have a plethora of alcohol infused milk shakes to consume. Frozen Irish Coffee consists of Bailey's, espresso and coffee ice cream. Dark & Stormy consists of Goslings rum, ginger beer and vanilla ice cream. They are 7.75 each if you don't have Cheers. And yes, since they have alcohol they do count against your 15 per day.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed the link!

I copied the info and will try at least a couple of these out in three weeks. The Dream doesn't have the Shake Spot, but it has ice cream, so I might be able to wing it!

Thanks!

Question: if you consider the average cruise has 3-4 ports of call, can you still drink the break even number of drinks a day considering that on a port of call, you are on the ship a lot less time for each day to be able to drink?

I guess you can breakeven. When we come from port excursions, we find it more encouraging to have drinks for relaxation.

It's actually $57.50/day because they add a 15% gratuity at the time of payment. Also that price is only if you purchase before you get on the ship. It goes up when purchased on board.

At $9/cocktail, I consider it worth it if I have more than 6 long islands/margaritas in a day.

It's also nice that it includes wines normally priced up to $50 (was $10 in the past); and it includes rockstar energy drinks, premium coffee like frappes, juice, soda, bottled water; etc. All of which normally cost extra.

Is wine the only drink that is 50.00? I bought the Cheers package and was hoping to try some 50.00 drinks. But I wasn't sure what they were.

I had read that there is a specific type of Grey Goose vodka that is 18.50 and there are cognacs as well as some higher end tequila's that are in the same range. Not sure if anything is really over 20. Have not sailed on Carnival since the ceiling was increased from 10 to 50 per drink. But I am looking into a Vista or Horizon sailing next year so I can experience it first hand.

husband and I cruised in December and it wasn't very warm. We are not heavy drinkers or even moderate. With the combination of specialty coffees, the spiked milkshakes and spiked floats plus the bottled water and cans of Diet Coke we more than broke even. I actually looked at our statement and broke it down. If you cruise when it's warmer or hot I think it would be even easier to "meet the quota" because you are going to be in the sun more and thirstier.

Edited by Ashiepooh
Additional info

This is the one rule I never understood. I get they don't want one person sharing but there's many folks in the same boat (no pun intended [emoji23]). my hubs does not drink either. I'm trying to convince him to take his first cruise next January (I usually cruise with other family) and if we do, Carnival won't be getting my guaranteed up front payment since I won't pay for him to have it too.

i am running into this same issue, my husband does not drink as well and i definitely will not be drinking enough for two people. they should really have a wrist band system or something taking into account the sober companions.

Is wine the only drink that is 50.00? I bought the Cheers package and was hoping to try some 50.00 drinks. But I wasn't sure what they were.

The new rules state any drink up to $50. You may find some higher price whiskeys worth trying at that price. I know wine is just kind of big on ships.

i am running into this same issue, my husband does not drink as well and i definitely will not be drinking enough for two people. they should really have a wrist band system or something taking into account the sober companions.

Get a doctor to write a note stating he can't have alcohol due to a liver condition and they'll waive the requirement.

Get a doctor to write a note stating he can't have alcohol due to a liver condition and they'll waive the requirement.

No they won't. Plenty of people have tried to no avail. Even pregnant women don't get an exemption (although not every pregnant woman abstains from drinking). The Cheers package covers much more than alcohol and there are no exceptions. Maybe back when it first started, but no more. Do you know how many "Dr's notes" would be presented every cruise? If one person won't drink and it's not a good value for the other, then just pay as you go.

Thanks for the suggestion. I still think it's a shame that they would essentially "force" the purchase or make a doctor lie for you. My hubs has been sober for 8 years. I don't drink much normally but on a cruise I like my frozen drinks and I like the gourmet coffee and water so I do save money on the cheers program even though I've rarely made it to the 15. He'd get the bubbles package but won't touch alcohol anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion. I still think it's a shame that they would essentially "force" the purchase or make a doctor lie for you. My hubs has been sober for 8 years. I don't drink much normally but on a cruise I like my frozen drinks and I like the gourmet coffee and water so I do save money on the cheers program even though I've rarely made it to the 15. He'd get the bubbles package but won't touch alcohol anymore.

My DH doesn't drink either so I won't purchase the package but you have to keep in mind that Carnival doesn't offer the package for the guests benefit, it's a huge money maker for them.

They are not forcing anyone to purchase it and they will not, under any circumstances accept a doctors note. If the plan works out for you then great but if not then just pay for drinks as you go.

I think they charge around $5 per drink for n/a frozen drinks but the carnival program is a strict "no sharing policy". I have always purchased the bubbles for my kids but unfortunately that doesn't include n/a frozen drinks.

The n/a drinks don't count towards the 15 daily limits so maybe some parents have ordered for kids from a far away bar...

Can the kids get non-alcoholic frozen drinks under the Cheers program if my husband and I decide to purchase this option? And if we don't, are prices still around $10 per drink even if there's no alcohol?

You're not supposed to share the package. Virgin drinks are cheaper.

96cbc6ba4338100aa9fbc4f8f20d974d.jpg