"Adventure St Maarten - The Race" excursion question

Sorry, but I posted this question on the Port of Call board, but did not get any response. Wondering if anyone here can help??

We are considering joining some friends in the RCI excursion called "Adventure St Maarten - The Race". It says that one person needs to be ready to swim. Does anyone know how much swimming and where (ocean or pool)? I used to be a strong swimmer, but after many many cancer surgeries, not much of a swimmer anymore. Thanks!!

We did this excursion this past summer on the Allure.

It was called "THE FAMILY ADVENTURE"

We had a blast.

We met on the pier and walked to the first area which was a meeting place.

Now mind you there are no lockers so what-ever you take you carry.

There were 4 attendants

All had walkie talkies and cell phones, and one on bike.

They went over the rules and divided you up into teams.

Our team had 10 players.

Some teams were just families.

This first challenge was cute in order to meet your team members.

Once you completed the task you were given directions on how to get to the next area to do another task.

I thought the second task was the most fun.................and so did our team members. It was ocean front and all the locals laughed as it went on.

We were in first place.

Now once we finished we were given a clue to go to the next area.

The locals discreetly knew what you were doing and directed you on your merry way.

Now along the way they take pictures, do not pose, do something funny.

You get points for this that helps decide winners.

So if you do not finish in first place running, you still have a chance to win.

You will see areas of St. Maarteen, you would never see.

I think their were 7 ish tasks that needed completed.

There is one "mind" thinking game, and you need to be quick, that is where we dropped into 3rd place.

There is a pitt stop.

You have to buy your water or whatever, and were permitted to use public restroom there.

And use one limber person to do a dry beach challenge that will recall their child hood days.

The last one is the swim

One member must swim out about 25 yards and do a task 3 times.

Our DD did it and she was a little tired but not too painful.

Remember, you carry everything.

Being the mom of the group I carried the beach bag and water.

While all others ran around and completed the tasks.

You must be a group to move on to next task.

It was HOT

Take water.

Wear good running shoes, and girls wore bikini tops and shorts.

Men had tank tops and swim shorts.

Had a blast.

Winners recognized at bar ocean front.

We finished 3rd.

Yup would do it again.

Enjoy, we did.

We did this back in June. We had a BLAST! There is one part where one member swims in the ocean. We learned things about the island that we would have never learned otherwise. The challenge in the grocery store was one of my family's favorite along with the challenge of filling up the cup with ocean water you have to obtain in a sponge (hint...Brush up on your rock paper scissors skills for chances to win more sponges so you can fill your cup faster). I was the slowest one of our group as I was sporting a recently fractured foot but we still managed to come in second place! At the end the organizers hosted refreshments where they served punch and yuca! All I can say is...WONDERFUL!!! We would definitely do it again! Have fun!

Sent from my K88 using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for all the info. It sounds like a great time. As long as it is a larger group, there is bound to be someone who is a stronger swimmer. I was thinking it would just be DH and myself. I doubt I would be able to swim 25 yards in the ocean anymore. After all the breast cancer surgeries I have had, I am very restricted. Good tips about having to carry everything with you and good walking shoes. That will help us out immensely. Do you think Teva sandals will be OK? If not, I do have a pair of workout shoes I bring with. Thanks, again!! :)

• 9 months later...

I am thinking of booking this as a large group on Royal Caribbean. My question is for those who have done it. Can a person who is in a wheelchair participate? My nephew is 19 and paraplegic (paralyzed from belly button down). Otherwise he is totally fine. Do you think he could join in the fun?

I am thinking of booking this as a large group on Royal Caribbean. My question is for those who have done it. Can a person who is in a wheelchair participate? My nephew is 19 and paraplegic (paralyzed from belly button down). Otherwise he is totally fine. Do you think he could join in the fun?

We did this in August and I think he'd be able to participate just fine as part of a group. There's at least one building I don't know would accommodate a wheel chair, but they only allowed three people in anyways (I stayed outside). The only other thing I can think of is two challenges that are on the beach that might be hard to push a wheelchair to them but I think he'd be able to opt out there. You can try calling the actual tour operators (see my link above) and see what they think as well. I don't want to ruin anything but shoot me a message and I can give you more information about those.

We loved this! My mom is on a scooter and we didn't have her play along with us. To be perfectly honest, I think you could do 1 of two things with someone in a wheel chair. Definitely talk to the operators, they were super nice, and they may allow your wheelchair bound family member and you to maybe shadow the task masters at the different locations. Or in all honesty, as someone mentioned above, the biggest issue would be those few areas where you would have difficulty with any wheelchair (ie- beach and tight quarters). I think it could still be worth doing, but I would see if maybe they would allow you to shadow your team, and maybe not pay full price for it.... Overall, I'm so happy we did it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!