Any Vegan cruiser tips?

PlanoDebbie

We’ve seen both Oatmeal and Grits onboard. Depends on the ship if they have one or both available each morning. We avoid it because it’s too salty for us.

Thank you. I may make my own packets for our trip and add hot water to them. Add fresh fruit and I’m good to go. Planning always = success for me with this stuff. Who wants to worry about food :)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A big thank you for all who have participated in this thread. Most of my questions have been answered.

I maintain a near vegan diet. I say near vegan because I use butter and honey, and on rare occasion fish or seafood.

One question I do have is in regard to the soft serve ice cream. Many restaurants use a non-dairy soft serve but don't advertise it as such. Does anyone know if the soft serve they use on Carnival is non-dairy? The easiest indicator is that the non-dairy usually comes as a powder that they mix with water.

• 1 month later...

Hiya!

I'm just back from Carnival Horizon and had a fantastic time onboard as a first-time vegan cruiser. I have been on Royal Caribbean, MSC, Princess, Marella and visited/dined at Oceania.. and out of the mainstream lines Carnival have now shot to no2 position in vegan catering. Oceania is in a different league altogether..

But Carnival? They offered good options on most days (one MDR dinner was disappointing) and desserts weren't a match to Princess' ones but I would LOVE to sail w Carnival again. Staff were very helpful, one particular chef in the Buffet and one head waiter in the MDR. Find your 'people' and at the end of the cruise, leave great feedback for them. They can earn extra time off, even excursions and wifi allowance to stay in touch with family.

I had queried milk, spread etc in advance so knew I wouldn't need to bring my own almond milk. I did pack vegan cheese (cheddar and parmesan), deli slices and spread which came handy at Guy's, with pizza and pasta and spread at breakfast & dinner.

Annoyingly nothing in the buffet is marked but staff can always check to see if items have been prepared with butter. Sure enough, I was told the mushrooms in the pizza station were in butter so took veggies from salad bar and they made me vegan pizza - I added my parmesan at the table. White rice always comes with butter through it but if you request, they can cook a fresh vegan batch for you - another vegan cruiser did so at Blue Iguana for lunch.

I have done a blog post on my breakfast options and am currently typing up a lunch post. The breakfast one is here http://vegancruiser.co.uk/vegan/can-you-cruise-vegan-carnival/

Edited by MsPoppadom
URL would not display

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to find this thread! I try to have at least 50% of my meals Vegetarian and seeing the options on board is great.

Glad it's been helpful!

Earlier I shared a link to my blog post on breakfast choice on the Horizon but I've just written a new one on 'free' vegan lunch options onboard

http://vegancruiser.co.uk/cruise/vegan-lunch-carnival-horizon/

Since being forced to be a vegetarian I have chosen to cruise only on those ships that have the tandoor Indian restaurant. The food is delicious. It is not all vegetarian and certainly not all vegan. On more than one occasion the chef there made me a plate of whatever I liked, altering it to ensure it was vegan. I attempted to tip him, but both times he refused.

Please pay attention to this very important public service message: If you have ANY northern European or French Canadian DNA, request your physician check your ferritin level at your next check up. It checks for hemochromatosis, a condition which is generally fatal once symptoms develop and easily treatable if discovered before. I got very lucky (so far anyway).

What a helpful thread! I'm considering my first time on Carnival and was concerned about the food. I can remember when I might have found one or two vegans on a cruise board. lol My gratitude to all the posters and for those great blog posts too!

One question: I have never brought food onto a cruise. Is this perfectly acceptable or are you sort of sneaking it on? lol Are there restrictions?

What a helpful thread! I'm considering my first time on Carnival and was concerned about the food. I can remember when I might have found one or two vegans on a cruise board. lol My gratitude to all the posters and for those great blog posts too!

One question: I have never brought food onto a cruise. Is this perfectly acceptable or are you sort of sneaking it on? lol Are there restrictions?

From the FAQ: "Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items."

As per previous post, yes, Carnival allows shop-bought factory-sealed items are generally ok as long as you store them yourself. The only issue is bringing in liquids.. those you need clear in advance. As they are worried about alcohol smuggling.

I was first told by customer services taht only soya milk was available so I queried about bringing my own oat or almond milk onboard. I contacted special services and they advised I could bring plant milk but it would need to be cleared by the ship first. But they then said ship kept almond milk and that removed my problem.

Some other cruise lines say no foodstuffs are allowed, or need cleared, but I always take items for my own consumption :)

I know I am going to get FLAMED for this comment.

I surely hope the people that are asking for special menus on a cruise of hundreds are tipping for the extra service they are getting from staff that are already working hard to please.

It seems (from what I have heard) that Carnival does an excellent job of catering to special needs. I hope the staff are appreciated for going above and beyond.

We contacted Carnival before hand and the MD. We got a call from the steakhouse early in the cruise confirming they were vegan and they took care of it when I get all my photos ready I'll do a separate thread on Chef's Table vegan.

I see lots talking about Indian. Usually there's Rains which isn't vegan and having our as the ONLY vegan option most nights is not cool, we found Lido better.

Echo the Hampton Creek suggestion, we spent much of the cruise thinking we should have. Also the Bagels are vegan so we brought our own cream cheese and for pizza some vegan pepperoni.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So hey have vegan cheese for the pizza?