Solo Culture

chefchick

I know that price is an important factor, but put that aside for a moment...which cruiseline do you think have the best overall "culture" for its solo passengers? Meaning, which one really wants your business? I know NCL has the solo coordinator on most ships, but what about the others?

I also realize that not everyone needs to be entertained and some cruise solo for the privacy of it all, but for many of us to at least have some scheduled opportunities for socializing are an important part of the fun factor. I for one have no problem being alone during the day onboard, but prefer the company of others at dinner and would probably feel uncomfortable going to bars and nightclubs alone.

I am taking my first solo cruise next month and I picked NCL Epic specifically because of the solo coordinator and cabins, but I get the feeling I am going to LOVE it and am wondering if there are other lines out there that do just as good of a job?

Would love to hear your thoughts?

Kelly

Kelly, I suggest that you add Azamara to your list of potential cruise lines. I've done quite a number of cruises on Azamara and never once felt that I wasn't a welcomed guest. Staff, crew, and fellow passengers were welcoming.

On every cruise I've been on, Azamara has a singles gathering early in the cruise -- sort of a meet and mingle experience. They also make arrangements for solo dining tables if you are looking for something like that. The cruise lines has open seating in the dining rooms so you can dine when you with whom you want.

On a number of cruises, Azamara charges only a 25% single supplement.

I hope your trip on Norwegian is great.

Frank

I know that price is an important factor, but put that aside for a moment...which cruiseline do you think have the best overall "culture" for its solo passengers? Meaning, which one really wants your business?.....I am taking my first solo cruise next month and I picked NCL Epic specifically because of the solo coordinator and cabins, but I get the feeling I am going to LOVE it and am wondering if there are other lines out there that do just as good of a job?

Would love to hear your thoughts?

Kelly

I don't think there's such a thing as a "solo culture", because solo passengers come in all stripes -- some are single, some are not; some are experienced solo travelers, others are embarking on their first trip alone; some are gregarious, others want to be alone.

I really enjoy sailing on Crystal solo, and the idea that they really value my business is one of the reasons I chose them. They have a very low single supplement on (virtually) all of their voyages, they have Dance Hosts to dance with unaccompanied women on every voyage (and there are some female Dance Hosts on a few voyages for unaccompanied men), and they offer a "table for 8" gathering of solos to eat together in the specialty restaurants at least once per trip. To me, those things told me they valued my business every bit as much as if I was traveling as part of a couple or family. They have traditional 2 seatings of dinner, which means you can get to know your table mates (by default, solos are seated together, but you can asked to be changed) and not be meeting new people every night.

Because of the lower supplement, I can cruise on Crystal for very little more than it would cost me to sail with a mainstream line (given the higher supplement and the extra costs).

Frank, As a matter of fact, my original plan was to sail with Azamara on their inaugural cruise to Cuba. That trip had a zero solo supplement for weeks and the day I went to book it, the price doubled (even though they still advertised it as zero supplement on the website). I tried to get the sales person the phone to honor it, but they said it couldn't be done. I was really disappointed, but I won't let that keep me away from the line completely. I'm glad to hear they treat their solos well.

calliope - thanks for your input. Maybe "culture" was the wrong term to use. I think we are all seeing an uptick in solo traveling in general and in my opinion it's the cruiselines, resorts and travel clubs that understand that clientele and learn to embrace and welcome that demographic will be the winners financially.

Again, I appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

I think we are all seeing an uptick in solo traveling in general and in my opinion it's the cruiselines, resorts and travel clubs that understand that clientele and learn to embrace and welcome that demographic will be the winners financially.

Again, I appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

I think you are still seeing "solo travelers" as a particular demographic or particular type of clientele, but I think you're mistaken. I agree there are more people who are traveling solo, but I think their needs are more different than they are alike.

I think you are still seeing "solo travelers" as a particular demographic or particular type of clientele, but I think you're mistaken. I agree there are more people who are traveling solo, but I think their needs are more different than they are alike.

I'd have to agree. I think of myself as a "traveler" first, not as a "solo" first. I rarely go to solo get-togethers if they are offered and it's irrelevant to me if there is a solo coordinator or not. On the other hand, I enjoy meeting and talking to others, be they solo, married, young, old, whatever. It's not too difficult to find some common ground with anyone who enjoys traveling.

I'd have to agree. I think of myself as a "traveler" first, not as a "solo" first. I rarely go to solo get-togethers if they are offered and it's irrelevant to me if there is a solo coordinator or not. On the other hand, I enjoy meeting and talking to others, be they solo, married, young, old, whatever. It's not too difficult to find some common ground with anyone who enjoys traveling.

This is me as well:)......it does not matter to me what one's marital status happens to be...as long as a person

is friendly that is more important (in my opinion). I just returned home from a cruise (I always travel solo) and

I met 2 different couples I became friendly with and had dinner with both and we had a lovely time. I did go to the

CC gathering on board but it wasn't to see "who else was solo" but more because we had an active roll call

and meetings others might be nice.

I also don't attend "solo gatherings" if they are even offered.......not something that I care about. I guess I am good

with my own company;)

Hi Chefchick, I was in a solo cabin and cruised last week (Feb 4-11) on the Epic. I only went to the solo gathering once in the studio lounge once. I talked to a few people and had a glass of wine. The studio lounge is very nice by the way.

Some went as a group to dinners and shows as a group. Every night at about 6PM to solo coordinator would come to the lounge and organize this. Myself I didn't participate in this as I just preferred to go on my own and eat at the buffet whenever I wanted.

When I first entered my studio cabin my first thought was where will I put my belongings when my suitcase arrives. I had a 28" hardcase and it was 80 percent full (yes I over pack). I unpacked my bag and slid it under my bed. With the shelving and place to hang your cloths, I can assure you there is more than enough space to put your stuff.

On the epic your bathroom is laid out a bit odd. with the sink in one spot, the shower in another, and the toilet is yet in another. So it's kinda odd in my opinion. But remember, you are by yourself and it works out just fine.

I never felt clostraphobic in my cabin. It has a nice TV and comphy bed. I am the type I like to wander around the ship and I really only go to my cabin to sleep and shower so a smaller cabin was ok for me. My cabin was as far away from the studio lounge as you could get (cabin 11560). I booked it three weeks before the cruise so all the closer to the lounge cabins were taken..

FYI I am a senior divorced man that enjoys cruising solo. If there are any questions I will try to give an answer.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise lines are slowly (very slowly) focusing on solo travelers who travel alone or as part of a group.

NCL in my opinion leads in the studio cabins with double beds, solo lounge and coordinator to help those who do want to meet others.

Royal Caribbean is adding solo rooms to new ships.

Azamara has a few no SS sailings and there are river cruises that do same.

I've sailed solo on Celebrity, Princess, Royal, Carnival, NCL and scheduled next is Disney (with family) and HAL (hating the 200% fee so I try to look out for discounts on cruises) - I prefer anytime dining to meet new people for dinner and the option to dine alone if I want.

I've tried a few "solo meetings" but wasn't impressed opting for cruise critic meetups and private tours

I often get adopted on cruises and have made so many great friends

Sent from my iPhone using Forums