Why Did You Choose The Room You Did?

momofslg

DH and I are limited to cruising when prices are highest due to his job, so we usually go for a low-cost OV.

We tried inside once - DH hated it -he has to have natural light to keep his body rhythms straight.

We chose a GTY obstructed view for our upcoming holiday cruise - GG.

It will be a nice treat if we get an upgrade, but we don't expect one and will be satisfied if we get exactly what we signed up for. As long as natural light comes in, we're fine.

Once we discovered the stern suites on NCL with Butler and Concierge--we just can't book anything else. For us it's an AE or higher. This Oct. we have an AD Romance Suite on the Jewel. Five out of nine cruises have been stern. We're hooked!!:D :D

Retiredonthesea

Having never cruised before, we took the advice of our TA, midship, lower deck in case we felt the motion. I had to have a balcony as I wasn't sure I could cope with an inside for a whole week (and I discovered you're not in them much!). So we had E2 6276 Mariner of the Seas in 2004.

So spoilt with a balcony (and we do travel a long way to the US for this so we make it special), we chose JS 1346 on Navigator in 2005. Even better, high up and so much space.

Then we did a short European on Brilliance and booked a JS, but then a GS (1048) came up for the same price, so we jumped at it. Fantastic, but a bit much for 2, but then we got Concierge (nice drinks before dinner!). Would love to be able to afford that on a Caribbean 7 night cruise, but the cost is too prohibitive when flying from the UK.

So, back to JS 1364 on Freedom in 2006. Love being high up and 1 floor away from Windjammer (although I do end up going down to deck 5 for that morning coffee to Cafe Promenade!).

No cruise in 2007 due to 'credit crunch' but jumped at the chance of D1 'hump' 9642 on Freedom for 2009 and it's on Port side for a change.

Again would love a JS but cannot justify the extra £690 (about US$1300) for the 2 of us (that's a good proportion of our SeaPass account for a week!).:)

E62 on Carnival Fascination... we picked this room because... for one, on our boat the only balcony rooms were category 11& 12 suites and with such a short cruise (3 nights) we didn't see the point in paying 400-500 extra dollars for one of those rooms... and so the next step down.. ocean view rooms.. this room was on the highest level for that.. midship.. middle of the boat pretty much.. so, that's why. : )

Hmm...Interesting question. I chose my room for several reasons.

1. It is just me and my 10 year old.

2. I wanted to get as cheap as possible since this is my first cruise.

3. I wanted very little noise around me. IE: Elevators, stairs, etc. I ended up way up front, in a 1A, no portholes so I have been told. And I also heard since it butts up to the Empty white area in the front, I will be hearing the Anchor every time it drops/comes up. so i guess that negates the "no noise".

But you'll be on a cruise!!! How bad can it be, REALLY? I would think that it would be cool for your kiddo to hear the anchor. Where else can you hear that? :D

8 cruises now and some were just assigned because they were awards I earned from a previous employer that offered cruises/vacations for sales goals. Now I read CC and use http://www.cruisestateroom.com IMO worth the $11.99 of which $11 was returned after I sent pictures back in after my cruise.

The balcony question comes up here to. Some say you will not stay in your room much so why get one. My theory is the better the room the more you stay in it and depending on the itinerary also. We have had interior, outside and mini-suites and can say the better the room the more we like it. We have had fiends get suites and I can easily see especially on NCL why people love the suites so much. On the NCL Pearl you can't even get to the top floor w/out your room key. The balconies are totally private as they have solid steel walls between them. Most have dividers that are open top & bottom. Bottom line is I think you can have a great trip no matter what cabin you have any cruise is better than no cruise.

Also it depends on how many potential time you could cruise a year. We would surely take a lower category if it meant we could go more often.

This will be my first cruise and I chose the interior room because my travel agent told me that I honestly wouldn't be in my room long enough to worry about a balcony. He's probably right. I also did it in hopes that maybe the upgrade fairy may give me a visit.

With cruising over New Years ($$$$) and the current cost of airfare, am going with an OV for the first time ever. Only had Balcony and Mini-suites to date.

Chose AFT right by elevators. One floor down to Promanade, elevator up to Lido, Buffet, MUTS pool, and teen center for my daughter. Most convenient. Plus, I want near either aft or midship elevator because I don't want my teen daughter walking long halls of cabins when she comes in late at night. (a Mom thing!)

I cruise solo. On Carnival I only book the ships with the 1A's with windows. On Princess I book the lowest price outside guarantee since I don't care which cabin I have as long as I have a window.

I picked cabins for my upcoming cruise since my sister and I are going together and we wanted to make sure to have cabins next to one another and we both wanted our own cabin.

On our first cruise, we threw ourselves at the mercy of the travel agent and had a promenade room on Mariner. This time, we have a balcony on the Splendor. Either way, i'm new enough to cruising to be happy wherever I land.:D

jpg1747---can you tell me how it works out for you to travel single? What room is a good one, yes I will have to have a window, would love a balcony, but will not be able to afford one. How much do you pay for a single room and do you feel safe where your rooms have been?

This will be my first time on Carnival and traveling by myself, I want to make sure I'm safe and that my room will be ok. Any advice that you can offer would be appreciated. Do you eat your meals with others in the dining room and what about doing things off the ship--feel safe??? Thanks, kmbb

jpg1747---can you tell me how it works out for you to travel single? What room is a good one, yes I will have to have a window, would love a balcony, but will not be able to afford one. How much do you pay for a single room and do you feel safe where your rooms have been?

This will be my first time on Carnival and traveling by myself, I want to make sure I'm safe and that my room will be ok. Any advice that you can offer would be appreciated. Do you eat your meals with others in the dining room and what about doing things off the ship--feel safe??? Thanks, kmbb

I've had no problems sailing solo. When I sail on Carnival, I pick the ships that have the 1A's with windows, so I can pay the inside rate and still get a window. When I sail on Princess, I just bite the bullet and pay the solo rate for an outside cabin. I generally pay between 130% and 150% for my cabin.

I feel safe anywhere on a ship. I'm just as careful there as I am traveling anywhere else. I get traditional dining and ask to be seated at a large table. People are generally very friendly. One thing I do is always book ship tours, rather than private ones.

I wanted a 1A with a porthole on the Carnival Victory. I got the room and booked it. Then upon reading these boards, I found out that there were actually 1A cabins with windows. I was able to change to such such a cabin - 2444.

• 1 year later...
We are a 4-some. Since I'm the only one over 21 we had to stay in one room. I checked the square footage on the available inside cabins (NCL Spirit) and managed to find one with 190sqft! I'll let you know how it goes...:eek:

Where can you look to see the size of a particular cabin?....I have been looking to compare sizes of Princess inside cabins & only able to see that sizes range from ? to ? but not the exact size of a particular cabin??

Are the 'bow to stern' facing cabins larger than the 'port to starboard' cabins?....they look longer but narrower??

Cheers,

G&G:):cool:

My dh and I always choose balcony. If the mini suite is not too expensive, we pick that, as we love the extra room and the tub in the bathroom.

We never had a suite but would not hesitate to book one if price was not an issue!!

Where can you look to see the size of a particular cabin?....I have been looking to compare sizes of Princess inside cabins & only able to see that sizes range from ? to ? but not the exact size of a particular cabin??

Are the 'bow to stern' facing cabins larger than the 'port to starboard' cabins?....they look longer but narrower??

Cheers,

G&G:):cool:

Im pretty sure the princess web site shows the square footage of each style cabin. Look under each ship heading. I think the insides for the most part are pretty uniform. I ve been on Princess Balconies and Princess Minis and they all seem the same size to me.(I mean the balcony cabins are all the same, and the minis are all the same)

Being quite flush when we took our first cruise (1991) I booked us a suite on Cunard Countess and I am now reluctant to settle for anything less. We have decided that the big ships are not for us and have settled on Fred Olsen's Braemar as the boat for us. Although we prefer to be at the front of the ship we have settled for midship cabin SS7032 because it is one of the new suites with a larger bathroom.

We pick a balcony room slightly aft of midship with passenger cabins above and below us. Those rooms seem to be the quietest. We also like to be near the laundry room. We don't take a guarantee; we want a specific room

G'day, Dont know if this contributes anything positive to the thread. Our reason for booking the cabins on ROS we did is that it was the last wheelchair cabin available for each leg even twelve months out. Sapphire Princess for similar time frame cruise was booked out.

Have to change cabins twice to get back to Oz but hey, we are on the ship and any cruise is better than no cruise. (Wife is on a wheelchair and can't travel without a wheely cabin - I think she would row with oars to cruise if necessary)

Not whinging , just stating facts why we booked those.

We love cruising so much will take any crumb falling from the cruise lines cabin inventory. Interesting reading all the informative comments here.

G&H

We returned in August from our first cruise, celebrating our 40th anniversary.

I booked a BA (balcony) as it was the best that I felt that I could justify.

Two weeks later, the "upsell fairy" called and offered the Owner's Suite.

Sure, it cost me more, but much less than if I had booked it originally.

Wow. We were so spoiled by that, that we had to book the OS for our next cruise....much more expensive, but so well worth it!

Rather than 3 cruises a year, it looks like we will now have to settle on one!

Yes, we are addicted to the "suite life".

If I can get it AFT Caribe deck on Princess (corners if they are available) or Deck 10 on NCL. The Disney cruise I'm taking my DS and 2 little phews whatever family deluxe with balcony I could get. On Celebrity we're spoiled and book Concierge Class....Donna

Archived