Question: Large Rooms with Minimum Person Requirement

emory2001

I have emailed Royal about this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this type of situation. When the 2018 schedules come out, we are planning to immediately book an Alaskan cruise for our family for next summer. There are 4 of us. We also have an exchange student living with us, who will be going back to Europe this summer, but she is hoping to come back to do the cruise with us. I'm intending to initially book all 5 of us in a Family Oceanview room, which requires 5 people minimum. If next year rolls around - let's say prior to final payment and when deposits are still refundable - and it turns out she can't come, would we be required to change rooms? I'm nervous there might not be comparable rooms available for 4 people at that point (and I would probably be willing to go ahead and pay for the "ghost" 5th person to keep the Family Oceanview, if that would be an option to keep the room, because I think it would still be cheaper than 4 of us in a Jr Suite). Thoughts? Experience?

It is possible that they would move you if your booking falls below the minimum occupancy requirement. Remember however, that the 3/4/5 passengers have a different cancel date for full refund, I believe that's 14 days before the cruise, so you've got more time to decide.

FWIW - I had to remove my granddaughter from our cabin on an upcoming Anthem 7 day Bahamas cruise when she had a conflict with her competition dance schedule. We had been booked in a D1 cabin that would hold 3 people. Right before final payment, I had our TA delete her. Royal would not let me keep the cabin. I had to move. Luckily there was a nearby D7 we got as we also had 2 other adult children coming along and originally 3 cabins were all next to one another. This has been my only experience with something like that.

If your willing to assume the cost of her cruising or not, then don't cancel her from the reservation. You check in and treat her as a no show to the cruise line. That way RCI doesn't have the option of changing your cabin, since they aren't aware that she won't be checking in.

I was in a family ocean view cabin once with 3 people on Independence. I started with an inside, but as it got closer to the cruise date, I happened to see that there was an family ocean view available on the RC site for less than I had paid for the inside cabin. I called & they changed it. No problem. It was great!