Weather for a December TA?

Curly-Q

Hi all,

For those who have done it, I'm thinking about booking a transatlantic from Rome to FLL in December. What can I expect for weather and seas? Would it be too cold to book a balcony, excursion enjoyment, ship motion in forward or aft cabins? I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for your help!

If you are thinking about the Pacific Princess transatlantic in December, it's a pretty rough ride. We just did this cruise in a low midship cabin and decided we will not repeat it. There were simply too many sea days where we couldn't use the outside areas on the ship, sometimes including cabin balconies on one side of the ship or the other.

I blogged about the December crossing starting here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2016/12/cruise-5-renaissance-passage.html

Choose 'Newer posts' at the bottom to move through all 17 days of the cruise.

Hi all,

For those who have done it, I'm thinking about booking a transatlantic from Rome to FLL in December. What can I expect for weather and seas? Would it be too cold to book a balcony, excursion enjoyment, ship motion in forward or aft cabins? I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for your help!

I agree about doing it on a bigger ship.

A few years ago I sailed Venice to Ft Lauderdale on a different line embarking at the end of November. At sailaway it was 30 degrees and sleeting in Venice. Though the intermediate ports were temperate for the season. And the four days on the open Atlantic before calling at Bermuda were smooth sailing though hardly tropical conditions.

I'm sure you know not to expect to work on your tan. But as already noted above the main issue is how much you enjoy (or at least will tolerate) feeling the motion of the ship and a good stiff breeze when out on deck. Many fans of TAs are actually disappointed if there is no rough weather while at sea; if your sentiments lean to the opposite then maybe a small-ship TA is not for you.