Trent and Bequia...Help!

Luckyroot

Okay got a great deal on a cruise, even better deal on airfare.........and now looking for a hotel is becoming a real pain in the you know what! I'm getting hotel rates that for 2 nights are more than what we paid for 5 nights on the cruise!

Arriving on 2/4/06 and need 2 nights in a clean, safe and preferably inexpensive hotel. We stayed in the Hampton Inn Airport Blue Lagoon last week based on Trents recommendation and just loved it. But last weeks rate of $99/night is now $179/night. OUCH

Holiday Inn Bayside is sold out today (they had rooms yesterday of course :( ) and were much more reasonably priced at $104/night.

So what do you suggest? I have a reservation at the Courtyard Miami Downtown, 200 SE Second Ave. at $179/night. Is there a lot to do in that area, and is it safe? Since we'll have 2 full days, I thought being downtown would afford more options for things to do.

Also put in a request for a room at the Amerisuites Miami Airport off 36th St NW. thru valuetrips dot com. They have a rate of $99/night (But I don't have a confirmation yet). Is this a good area? anything nearby? how far to the pier?

I'll keep trying the Holiday Inn Bayside, because I know you've recommended that in the past, but if you have any other options, I'm open to suggestions. Would even consider something much further out, and renting a car for a day if the price is the same, at least we'd have transportation to do things. But not knowing the area, I don't know what towns to search.

Thanks as always for your help!

Courtyard downtown Miami is a decent, newly remodeled budget hotel, nicer than the Holiday Inn Bayside. It's a safe hotel, but there's really not much to walk to from there. It's a short, less than 5 minute cab ride to Bayside Marketplace though. And a 15 minute cab ride to South Beach. It's probably going to be your best bet, everything else I'm checking is more expensive or sold out.

AmeriSuites MIA airport west is not in a dangerous neighborhood, but there's not much around there to do at all. I wouldn't care to be stuck way out there without a car. It's about a half hour to the port.

It's going to be tough that time of year to get any deals at decent hotels in good locations, that's prime time.

Normally for one night I recommend downtown Miami, but for 2 I think South Beach is better. You can always take a taxi over there from downtown on one day though. There isn't much of anything to do in downtown Miami except Bayside Marketplace and you can see all of that in an evening. Decent South Beach hotels though are far from inexpensive in February. Just a quick check of some I like are showing sold out on those dates or $300+

Thanks for the info Trent. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a deal in South Beach, or maybe give Priceline a try for SOBE. (although I prefer to know what I'm paying for).

You're such a help to people on this board! Thank you! :)

If you do try Priceline don't go too low on your star level. Personally I would be uncomfortable using it in South Beach from some of the hotels I've seen people get there. Priceline's stars seem to be based more on amenities than quality. I would never go below 4-star myself.

In South Beach you have to be careful of a couple of things. Most of the hotels are quite old, the nicer ones have been gutted and remodeled, and of course are quite expensive. The not so nice ones are very very scary!

Another thing with South Beach hotels is that some hotels that call themselves "South Beach" are not in the real South Beach, and are too far to walk to anything. You generally don't want to be too much above the 1700 block or you're stuck in an area with nothing to walk to - Fine if you have a car, but a pain to have to take taxis for everything if you don't. And even if you do have a car, parking on the street is very difficult to find, and parking in the garages can be quite pricey at times.

If you do look for something in another area in Miami I would stick with downtown, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, the Blue Lagoon area south of the airport, or the beaches. Anything decent though is probably not going to be any cheaper than the Courtyard downtown at that time of year.

In South Beach you have to be careful of a couple of things. Most of the hotels are quite old, the nicer ones have been gutted and remodeled, and of course are quite expensive. The not so nice ones are very very scary!

Another thing with South Beach hotels is that some hotels that call themselves "South Beach" are not in the real South Beach, and are too far to walk to anything. You generally don't want to be too much above the 1700 block or you're stuck in an area with nothing to walk to -.

Agree with everything Trent has said except, I frequently stay above 17th Street (1700 block) and the walk is fine. In fact, my favorite hotels are above 17th Street, The Setai and The Shore Club. My personal opinion is that anything past the Days Inn or Holiday Inn (to be remodeled into a W Hotel) on 21st or 22nd is when the walk gets long.

l actually prefer the northern end of South Beach to the area South of Fifth (SoFi).

Well to clarify... That's pretty much what I meant. LOL

I just mean that the majority of shops, restaurants, etc. end just north of Lincoln Road or the 1700/1800 block and if you're too far north of that it's too long of a walk to anything. Setai and Shore Club are of course still within easy walking distance of everything.

Luckyroo, I feel for you. You've chosen prime time for your stay.

For the heck of it, check sidestep.com. search miami beach, 3 star and better, under $200. I came up with 26 hotels near the beach showing availability.

Don't give up your Courtyard reservation too soon though. ;)

I'd do my PL bidding for Coral Gables and Coconut Grove and rent a car. I think you can still get a good hotel at a decent price in those areas.

Those are both great areas with some really fine restaurants and shops.

Well to clarify... That's pretty much what I meant. LOL

I just mean that the majority of shops, restaurants, etc. end just north of Lincoln Road or the 1700/1800 block and if you're too far north of that it's too long of a walk to anything. Setai and Shore Club are of course still within easy walking distance of everything.

Okay, I swear I've hit my head or something.

I'm not firing on all cylanders Trent!

BTW, have you been inside the Setai yet?

Archived