AA/Qantas no longer codesharing on some routes, what a mess, need advice

NoWhiners

No, AA should through-check the bags all the way to SYD because you have one ticket for the whole of that trip. You're contractually entitled to it!

On the way back, QF may through-check to ABQ - but even if it does, you will have to clear immigration at DFW, collect your bags, clear customs and then give the bags back to AA. That's simply the normal arrival formalities at your first US port.

MyFlights is a great resource, but I suspect that you will find that it will only take the Qantas reference and that the AA reference won't work. I think that's the current state of play.

Wow, that is unexpected good news. Thanks. It is useful to know we are contractually entitled to this, just in case. I can't wait to see what happens a) when we check in online and b) arrive at the airport. I am reassured by your comments but the sting of what happened hasn't left me yet :)

I did know we would have to collect bags on the return, but again, we have a lot of time, so no problem.

As for MyFlights, I registered and it said they would send me an email to activate my account--still waiting after 3 hours :D May not be quite as good as I hoped.

Thanks Globaliser, you are always very helpful.

ML

NoWhiners;

If you give the AA check in Agent a copy of your Qantus itinerary, she will be able to combine the records and send your bags all the way through. They will also even print out your boarding pass for the Qantus flight for you. One of the advantages of them still being one world partners. You'll never have to leave the secure area.

No need to show the AA agent anything. The agent will see what the OP can see on the AA website: they are connecting from the AA ABQ-DFW flight to QF8, on the same itinerary and the same ticket. The through-check entitlement is contractual, and has nothing to do with Qantas being another oneworld partner.

If there are two separate tickets, then AIUI AA's current policy is no through-check even if the second flight is on a oneworld airline.

Thanks for reassuring me on this point :)

ML

[quote name=NoWhiners;52464817

As for MyFlights' date=' I registered and it said they would send me an email to activate my account--still waiting after 3 hours :D May not be quite as good as I hoped.

ML[/quote]

Hmm --if I'm remembering correctly my reply was pretty prompt? Maybe check what e-mail you gave them or try a different one.

Hmm --if I'm remembering correctly my reply was pretty prompt? Maybe check what e-mail you gave them or try a different one.

Still no word, I checked to be sure I spelled my email address right and I checked my junk email folder. LOL, not a big deal. Maybe I'll just try and login tomorrow.

Thanks

ML

Glad to have been able to help. Hope it all goes smoothly! When you get back, do come and let us know how it worked out.

I will, maybe from our hotel in Sydney if we have decent wifi.

Thanks again

ML

Latest update--can't check in online for either flight tomorrow. I called both AA and QF, both say all is well. Also told we will have to collect our bags when we get to DFW, then take them to QF to check. I actually like this--we'll have some notion of how far our bags made it.

I will try and post from Sydney on Mar 10. Hopefully, with a glass of wine in hand and a big smile on my face :-) !

ML

Latest update--can't check in online for either flight tomorrow. I called both AA and QF, both say all is well. Also told we will have to collect our bags when we get to DFW, then take them to QF to check. I actually like this--we'll have some notion of how far our bags made it.

When flying internationally, you often can't check in online, especially if your reservation doesn't include your passport details. An agent needs to see the passport to know that you are truly able to board the international flight.

As for bags, just FYI but most airlines have an app, and some of those apps include baggage tracking information. I don't generally fly AA and have never flown Qantas, but on the Delta app I can easily track my bags to know if they've been loaded onto the plane. You might look into getting the app for the airlines you book. There are often other handy features as well.

Also told we will have to collect our bags when we get to DFW, then take them to QF to check. I actually like this--we'll have some notion of how far our bags made it.
Do try the through-check again when you get to ABQ to check-in. The problem is that call centre agents are often clueless about things like this; the people who know are the people who do it, ie check-in agents. Your posts make it sound like you have a through-ticket and a through-fare, and in your shoes I would be kicking up a bit of a fuss if I was being denied through-checking.

The "advantage" you mention is only of any use if nothing goes wrong. In that event yes, you will know that the bags have made it as far as DFW because you have them in your hand.

But what if AA has only tagged them to DFW, and they don't show up there? You can't wait in ABQ for very long because you have another flight. You just have to report them missing and then to go on to SYD without them. And the bags will still only be tagged to DFW, so if they're elsewhere they may just get sent to DFW long after you've left there. Finding out what should be done with the bags then, when they eventually appear to an airline staff member to be mishandled bags, depends on someone getting in to the correct system to find whatever notes have been made about your travel plans when you reported them bags missing - which could take time. At that time, you will have a notion about your bags - but only of how far your bags did not make it.

In contrast, if your bags are through-tagged to SYD, they will say SYD on them. Wherever they have got to in the network, anyone looking at the tag will instantly know that they still need to get to SYD. In other words, alarm bells ring faster, and the type of onward handling the bag needs is more immediately apparent.

In addition, if you have to collect your bags at DFW and check them in again, don't forget that that also requires a further pass through security screening before your flight to SYD. If the bags are through-checked, then AIUI the system at DFW means that you can transfer to your onward flight without needing to be screened again.

• 1 month later...
Glad to have been able to help. Hope it all goes smoothly! When you get back, do come and let us know how it worked out.

Hi Globaliser (and everyone else who helped)

Well, we are back from our bucket list trip. I am happy to report that our flights to SYD went with no hitches. Bags appeared as they should. the trip back was complicated when AA issued yet another new ticket for our return flight (they said it was because of a change of equipment, which seemed odd since it was the same type of aircraft) and then I couldn't check in on Qantas anymore. So, we took a deep breath, crossed our fingers (after multiple efforts to contact Qantas via email and phone) and just showed up at the airport. Had to get new seats assigned but no problem, all was well :)

And, as you explained, bags were checked thru to SYD on the way over and ABQ on the way back, but we did have to collect them and re-check after Customs at DFW. No problem with that.

I could have done without all the stress and not knowing but it was fine. Not sure I would do it this way again, but booking individual tickets would have it's own set of problems (as you noted previously).

Thanks for your help and thoughtful explanations,

ML

For more info on AA changes to Australia and NZ, you might want to look at this blog posting: LINK HERE

FlyerTalker

Thanks for that link, it does explain a lot. I'm still not sure why AA felt a need to keep re-issuing tickets (well, except when they switched us from DFW to LAX, then reinstated us) but it all worked out. I did notice the FF miles were calculated differently now. And I do think it's a problem that you can't checkin for your flight or order a meal. That seems unnecessary to me. I'm glad the flights are behind us. maybe if we ever go again, it will all be sorted out. We might consider just booking separate flights and bear with the inconvenience of luggage and security.

ML

I did notice the FF miles were calculated differently now. And I do think it's a problem that you can't checkin for your flight or order a meal. That seems unnecessary to me.
I'm glad that everything basically worked out for you.

If you've been awarded fewer FF miles than you would have been awarded on the basis of your original booking, there's no harm in asking your FF scheme whether it would be prepared to honour the original amount considering that you were involuntarily rebooked for reasons that were nothing to do with you. It can't hurt to ask.

Even with codeshare arrangements, it should always be possible to order a special meal. But it can be a bit of a chore to work your way through the different booking systems to get to the correct booking record with the operating airline so that this can be done. For reasons like this, I'm usually wary about booking a codeshare if I can book the operating airline's prime flight number with no real disadvantage.

I'm glad that everything basically worked out for you.

If you've been awarded fewer FF miles than you would have been awarded on the basis of your original booking, there's no harm in asking your FF scheme whether it would be prepared to honour the original amount considering that you were involuntarily rebooked for reasons that were nothing to do with you. It can't hurt to ask.

Even with codeshare arrangements, it should always be possible to order a special meal. But it can be a bit of a chore to work your way through the different booking systems to get to the correct booking record with the operating airline so that this can be done. For reasons like this, I'm usually wary about booking a codeshare if I can book the operating airline's prime flight number with no real disadvantage.

Globaliser

Yes, thanks. In the end we had only minor issues, but didn't know that at the time :)

Good note about the FF miles. I'll tell DH to call and see what he can do (we flew on his CC).

I think we could have checked in and ordered meals but neither of our previously working conf #/locators/whatever they call them, were working online. This struck me as very odd and likely an artifact of the 2 computer systems not having complete visibility into each other. Despite all of my efforts, we could never contact Qantas to work this out. While it did all work out great, it can be stressful to show up a the counter hoping it's all OK!

Thank you again for your expert help

ML