Booked My Hotel, suggestions for day 1 of 2 day visit Pre Cruise BARCELONA.......

Lois R

... everyone has its own travelling style of course... but I don't get this obsession with joining tours on destinations that, frankly, don't need one. In Barcelona you can visit anything on your own, for starters, this is an English-friendly city and secondly, this is far safer than any of your major cities.

... everyone has its own travelling style of course... but I don't get this obsession with joining tours on destinations that, frankly, don't need one. In Barcelona you can visit anything on your own, for starters, this is an English-friendly city and secondly, this is far safer than any of your major cities.

I never said I was obsessed with anything:eek:.....but sometimes it can be fun joining other folks on a tour when traveling

alone. And I know most people speak English in Western European Countries.

Different strokes for different folks:)

Aww that's too bad, Lois! I hope they get enough people together to run the tour! If not, you can ask if any of their other tours will be running and perhaps switch to one of those?

Keep checking in with them for sure! They had offered me a private tour if they didn't have enough for semi-private for the low low price of 400 euros! Hahaha! As cool as that would have been to have my own private tour, I said I'd wait for the semi-private one to run! ;)

Good luck!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks.....she told me how much it would be for a private tour.............I will pass on that one too. I am not too concerned.

If they don't get enough people, I will find things to do on my own.:)

Lois I have been reading your excitement over on the Silverseas board as we too will be trying out them for the first time. I hope you have a fabulous time.

When we disembarked our cruise last July we joined a Runner Bean Tour at 11am visiting the El Born area. But they have a few different tours.

http://www.runnerbeantours.com

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g187497-d1746432-Reviews-Runner_Bean_Tours_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

I am usually a little wary of these types of tours but we were very impressed with our guide and how well organised it was, as a few Runner Bean groups were meeting at Place Reial at the same time and they got everyone sorted into the right group. We did book ahead of time as I had read of people being turned away in high season as they do restrict numbers. They were very responsive to emails I sent as well.

We also did a HOHO bus in 2012 but did the same as Newbcruiser1 and used it as a way to get an overview staying on for the whole circuit rather then getting on and off. Also best done early when more people are likely to be having a sleep in.

We did some semi private food tours as well but still think our runner bean tour was excellent. It just means you have to be prepared to do lots of walking which it sounds like you are happy to do anyway.

We visited Casa Batlo, La Boqueria and a lesser known but truly fabulous Gaudi Mansion "Palau Guell" and thought they were all wonderful, especially with the help of the audio headphones in the Gaudi sights.

If you get an opportunity to see a Flamenco and Guitar performance in Palua de la Musica it is a special treat. We didn't book this ahead of time but while we were walking around saw it advertised for while we were there and bought some tickets. The show was after a very long touring day to Mountserrat and we were worried we would fall asleep. It was so wonderful and energising there is no way we could fall asleep. One of our better decisions.:)

Julie

Lois R, my comment wasn't specifically referred to you but more of a general reflection after having been around these forums for a while. Different strokes for different folks: that's indeed what I said too, and alas, there's obviously nothing to be said against those that prefer to "go in groups" :)

I was just trying to say that sometimes, some members seem to "be lost" without someone "taking them around" and while I can understand the anxiety when visiting certain destinations, destinations that might be in locations where the tourism industry is incipient (thus not too professionalised/coordinated) and/or in locations where the language can really be a barrier, that's not the case in Barcelona. Simply that.

Incidentally, I concur with the above statement about Runner Beans. I do happen to know them, some of my foreign friends have used this in the past and they were all delighted.

Edited by EnricM