Booked My Hotel, suggestions for day 1 of 2 day visit Pre Cruise BARCELONA.......

Lois R

HI Linda, good morning:)......2018....that is my BIG 60 and I am trying to decide what to do for it....something really

special for that milestone birthday.

Got you beat by a few years ;)

Some people would choose skydiving but I wouldn't be able to jump!

Got you beat by a few years ;)

Some people would choose skydiving but I wouldn't be able to jump!

LOL.....no skydiving for me either:D

.... a "first lady" of ours, the wife of a former President of the government here in Catalonia, made her first skydiving jump when she was in her 60s... why couldn't you? LOL!!!

There are many companies offering skydiving services, but not around Barcelona, for that you'd have to make an escapade to Costa Brava, north of Barcelona, and you'd enjoy this.

.... a "first lady" of ours, the wife of a former President of the government here in Catalonia, made her first skydiving jump when she was in her 60s... why couldn't you? LOL!!!

There are many companies offering skydiving services, but not around Barcelona, for that you'd have to make an escapade to Costa Brava, north of Barcelona, and you'd enjoy this.

Thanks for the link:) but I will pass on skydiving;)

Good morning:)....I booked Hotel Pulitzer for my upcoming stay in Barcelona:D...the reviews are excellent/looks lovely and the price was right.

Lois, be sure and post about the hotel when you get back. It looks really nice and you can't beat the location.

I was considering the Hotel Jazz for the next trip based on CC member reviews. But may to have to the Hotel Pulitzer instead.

Several hotels in Barcelona have been recommended on this and other calls. But no reference to H10 Plaza Catalunya. Why not? It is so central and has good TripAdviser reviews. Booked here for three nights prior to Quest in April. Have I done right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lois, be sure and post about the hotel when you get back. It looks really nice and you can't beat the location.

I was considering the Hotel Jazz for the next trip based on CC member reviews. But may to have to the Hotel Pulitzer instead.

Hi Linda, good morning.:) I was considering The Jazz too, along with SEVERAL other properties. I am not sure the exact

thing that drew me to the Pulitzer but I am very happy with my decision.....I do know that it had less total reviews on

Trip Advisor but the total of the excellent/good were VERY high. Also, a couple of folks whose opinion I value replied

on another thread for me and they have stayed at the Pulitzer as well.....gave it a thumbs up too.

Several hotels in Barcelona have been recommended on this and other calls. But no reference to H10 Plaza Catalunya. Why not? It is so central and has good TripAdviser reviews. Booked here for three nights prior to Quest in April. Have I done right?

Hi, I have never been to Barcelona before...never been to Spain. I would say there are probably hundreds of properties

and maybe not every one of them is talked about If you are happy with your choice, that is what matters:)

This hotel was also on my list and the only reason I didn't mention it is because like Lois mentioned - I tend to pick my hotel based on other CC members and because I get to know what they like.

You should enjoy your stay :)

Lois, El Corte Inglés is one of my favorite department stores...sort of like a Lord&Taylor with a Macy's feel. If you are into buying an apparel item, seek out the Spanish designers, there are lovely designs and their quality is excellent. Prices are not US-like, items are not made in China. I recommend the Escorpión brand; I have Escorpión sweaters dating back more than 10 years ago and the fit and style are still fashionable. They carry very good merchandise from the UK as well. If you go to the cosmetics area, seek out the Spanish cologne (unless you are allergic). They are subtle and reasonably priced! Ask me about any particular item that may be of interest to you... Actually, the store should pay me for this posting. Ha Ha.

Lois, El Corte Inglés is one of my favorite department stores...sort of like a Lord&Taylor with a Macy's feel. If you are into buying an apparel item, seek out the Spanish designers, there are lovely designs and their quality is excellent. Prices are not US-like, items are not made in China. I recommend the Escorpión brand; I have Escorpión sweaters dating back more than 10 years ago and the fit and style are still fashionable. They carry very good merchandise from the UK as well. If you go to the cosmetics area, seek out the Spanish cologne (unless you are allergic). They are subtle and reasonably priced! Ask me about any particular item that may be of interest to you... Actually, the store should pay me for this posting. Ha Ha.

Good morning:)....I am probably not the best person for this type of shopping.....I am not really into going clothes shopping

while on vacation and as for Fragrance? I haven't worn any in....well, ever. Now, if I found something out of the ordinary,

I might decide to get it (you mentioned seeking out The Spanish Designers).....but its not something I would normally do.

But I will never say never;)

OK... I must have misread an earlier post of yours mentioning, sort of inquiring, about that department store. Anyway, so much to see! Enjoy your trip.

You didn't mis-read it......someone had mentioned the store, so I replied back:).........I would be more of a "window shopper"

and I think someone mentioned having a cafe inside that you can see outside while having a coffee?

Oh, If I could ever find a fragrance that I liked, I would wear it......but in almost 59 years, nothing has ever said "BUY ME";)

I like "CLEAN"

Glad you found a hotel, looks really nice.

For me, the first day is all about getting out in the sunshine so my body can adjust to the time change. As you're within easy reach of the Gothic Quarter, I recommend you go and wander there - really enjoyed that when we were in Barcelona last summer.

I totally agree with this. We are going to be in Barcelona for 2 days pre-cruise coming up here in May (only 50 days left, not that I'm counting ;)). We are flying from Seattle so will have serious jet lag the first day. Our hotel (Hotel Barcelona Universal) appears to be close walking distance to both Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter so we are just going to do some local wandering around and get our bearings the first day and also just enjoy some down time on the private terrace at our hotel room. I'm not counting on getting a second wind that first day, it may happen, but definitely did not want to commit to anything the first day that requires being somewhere at a specific time.

The second day we have already purchased our tickets to Sagrada Familia and Park Guell, and will also go to a flamenco show in the evening. Wanted to also get up to Montjuic but don't know that we will have the time. First time to Barcelona and really looking forward to it!

I agree with you on El Corte Ingles - fantastic store and the downstairs food.wine, etc is amazing.....can get nice souvenirs there too plus the view from the top is great...I can't wait to go back in May......my husband, not so much!!

eclue:cool:

Hotel Arts.. A Ritz Carlton Property. Wonderful. Take a look.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. It is way above my pay grade and I am happy with my choice of The Hotel Pulitzer:)

I had a similar stay to yours last year. Had 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona. On the first day, I checked into my hotel via the Aerobus from the airport (like you, after flying all night) and did a day of exploring via the HoHo buses (Barcelona City Tours). Also hit up La Boqueria market for some lunch and a few delicious fruit drinks! I had a second wind until about 5pm when I began to fall asleep on the bus! But I saw a LOT in that time!

I then went back for a quick rest at the hotel, and then back out for dinner at a nearby tapas place. Turned in relatively early that night.

The next day I did the full day city and Montserrat tour with Barcelona Day Tours and loved it! Saw many of the same sites but it was great! After that, I changed and headed over to a tapas restaurant across from Palau de la Musica where I had a wonderful dinner before taking in a guitar and flamenco show at the Venue itself! Loved that too but admittedly was falling asleep during the show after 2 crazy days!

Day 3 before going to the cruise ship, I hopped on the metro to Sagrada Familia where I had purchased a skip the line audio tour of the inside. It was pretty neat! Then back to hotel to pick up luggage, and to the port by taxi!

All in all, I had a wonderful time in Barcelona and feel like I hit all of the major sites I had wanted to see in my short 48 hours there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a similar stay to yours last year. Had 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona. On the first day, I checked into my hotel via the Aerobus from the airport (like you, after flying all night) and did a day of exploring via the HoHo buses (Barcelona City Tours). Also hit up La Boqueria market for some lunch and a few delicious fruit drinks! I had a second wind until about 5pm when I began to fall asleep on the bus! But I saw a LOT in that time!

I then went back for a quick rest at the hotel, and then back out for dinner at a nearby tapas place. Turned in relatively early that night.

The next day I did the full day city and Montserrat tour with Barcelona Day Tours and loved it! Saw many of the same sites but it was great! After that, I changed and headed over to a tapas restaurant across from Palau de la Musica where I had a wonderful dinner before taking in a guitar and flamenco show at the Venue itself! Loved that too but admittedly was falling asleep during the show after 2 crazy days!

Day 3 before going to the cruise ship, I hopped on the metro to Sagrada Familia where I had purchased a skip the line audio tour of the inside. It was pretty neat! Then back to hotel to pick up luggage, and to the port by taxi!

All in all, I had a wonderful time in Barcelona and feel like I hit all of the major sites I had wanted to see in my short 48 hours there!

Too funny, I am hoping to go with Barcelona Day Tours as well:D

Lois - definitely do the tour!!! It was fantastic! And great customer service as well! We got to Montserrat early and have wonderful pictures of the sun rising above the clouds in the background - very neat!

And make sure to try some of the fruit drinks at La Boqueria! They're between 1 and 2 euros each and I ended up buying 3 throughout my wander around there because there where so many flavors to try and they were so delicious! The fruit cups looked amazing as well. To go with the drinks, I grabbed a slice of pizza from E Slice in La Boqueria which was pretty good too!

Overall did I need to do the HoHo on day 1? Nope! But it gave me time to just sit on the top deck of the bus on a beautiful day and enjoy the sights while getting some great pictures (in places where Barcelona Day Tours drove by but was unable to stop).

I did 1 full loop (without getting off I think), then got off at Placa Catalunya again, then walked down to La Boqueria, had the aforementioned lunch/snack, then walked back up to Catalunya and did the other Ho Ho loop (and DID get off to get a better look/pics at the Arc de Triomphe, and got off at Casa Battlo and walked back to the hotel from there).

Was it a long day after flying all night? You bet! But I was running on adrenaline for most of it! :) Was glad that I did it instead of just wandering around somewhat aimlessly!

When will you be there? Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

Lois - definitely do the tour!!! It was fantastic! And great customer service as well! We got to Montserrat early and have wonderful pictures of the sun rising above the clouds in the background - very neat!

And make sure to try some of the fruit drinks at La Boqueria! They're between 1 and 2 euros each and I ended up buying 3 throughout my wander around there because there where so many flavors to try and they were so delicious! The fruit cups looked amazing as well. To go with the drinks, I grabbed a slice of pizza from E Slice in La Boqueria which was pretty good too!

Overall did I need to do the HoHo on day 1? Nope! But it gave me time to just sit on the top deck of the bus on a beautiful day and enjoy the sights while getting some great pictures (in places where Barcelona Day Tours drove by but was unable to stop).

I did 1 full loop (without getting off I think), then got off at Placa Catalunya again, then walked down to La Boqueria, had the aforementioned lunch/snack, then walked back up to Catalunya and did the other Ho Ho loop (and DID get off to get a better look/pics at the Arc de Triomphe, and got off at Casa Battlo and walked back to the hotel from there).

Was it a long day after flying all night? You bet! But I was running on adrenaline for most of it! :) Was glad that I did it instead of just wandering around somewhat aimlessly!

When will you be there? Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

Hi,:) I am sailing in August and my name is on the waiting list for a "Shared tour" with them......the gal who emailed me

seems very nice (Anna). I will follow up with them in a month or 2 to see if there are enough people for the tour.

To be honest with you, I don't know if I am doing the HO/HO tour the first day.....I may walk to the market and check

out the big dept store across from my hotel. I don't have "set plans" for the first day. I know my flight arrives in the

9:30am range. And of course find a place for Tapas for dinner;p

Lois, did you post on your roll call that you booked the tour? If others see it they might book as well! That's how I got our tour up to the minimum number of participants so it would run! Worked like a charm! :)

Hi,:) there is only 1 other person on the roll call.........I am not sailing "mainstream" this cruise and so not nearly as many folks

are on there.

Aww that's too bad, Lois! I hope they get enough people together to run the tour! If not, you can ask if any of their other tours will be running and perhaps switch to one of those?

Keep checking in with them for sure! They had offered me a private tour if they didn't have enough for semi-private for the low low price of 400 euros! Hahaha! As cool as that would have been to have my own private tour, I said I'd wait for the semi-private one to run! ;)

Good luck!!! :)