Free Cruise

tgusti

Hi Folks,

I was informed by Security Travel USA, Inc. of St. Pete, FLA that I have won a free cruise after filling out a contestant card.

Does anyone have any relevant information to share?

Thanks,

Ted

Give us a "review" when you return. :p

The "Free" Cruise may be on a ship such as the Discovery Sun ( formally known as the MV Freeport ) which is a converted car ferry running between Miami and Freeport. While on board, be prepared to listen to a timeshare sales pitch.

Update, I found this post about someone that did on on a cruse from Security Travel.

http://www.bahamas-mon.com/bahamaforum/sports/2136.html

You know the line, "you get what you pay for"? That's especially true for these supposed free cruises. The ships barely float, have no amenities and are nothing more than a come on for other things like timeshares. Don't, and I repeat, DON'T give them any personal information like credit card numbers, because you could very well find a charge in the hundreds of dollars from this company to cover "handling fees, taxes and other items".

Ask what ship! Often the 'cruise' is just a boat ride to and from Freeport. That only takes a couple of hours and you can gamble alll the way there. The ships that just go out to gamble usually don't charge anything - they have 3 or 4 trips a dway on same ship!

Upon reading the fine print on free cruise contests even from legitimate companies, they generally only include the price of the cruise. You still have to pay for

• transportation to/from the port
  • port taxes & fees
  • gratuitities
  • on board expenses (drinks etc.)
  • excursions etc.

So "free" will at least cost you a couple of hundred dollars.

• 1 month later...

Years ago, we used to get notified about winning a free cruise at least once year. Where they got our names - we didn't know since we had never filled out any forms and we aren't listed in the phone book. They started coming in right around the time we started to cruise. Figured it was a scam and never bothered with them.

When I worked as a TA for about 15yrs had a couple come into tell us of the FREE thing htey had and wanted help with. In the long run they had to come back in to us and book the trip with a real Cruise Line because each time they deposited and tried to hold ($150 ea) they were told it was not available try again. They had done some 4 or 5 times I was guessing. At first they wanted us to help them get the money back for this to help pay for a real trip. We could only pass along info of places to talk to in Florida as WE did not book the so called free trip. In the long run I think she said she had put in close to $800 or $900 in this free trip when she had given up and came in. To this day I do not know if she ever got the money back or not. I also know that these places have employees place false claims of great trips they took on places to say how wonderful it was to pull others in. As the saying does go "If it sounds to good to be true, You can be sure it is" I wouldnt bother with it. I have got thousands over the years from these places and never once filled out something to have won this from.

my parents won a free cruise with NCL this past October - the last cruise they do for the season. they only had to pay for bermuda taxes (which was less than $200 for the 2 of them!) they had entered to win by accident when they were talkin to our TA to fix our cruise this upcoming may and she suggested they enter since no one really had yet.

so you never know, it might not be a scam, it depends on how you enter i guess.

Erika,

Yes your parents probably did win a free cruise. The different is their TA entered their name. This cruise was probably a promotional thing provided by the TA's company. At the very least, the TA would know which drawings were on the up and up and which weren't.

My TA in Alaska used to give away free vacations once or twice a year if you came in and signed up for the drawing. Then they took your picture if you won. It was a publicity stunt. Those who call you and tell you you've won a free cruise or send you something in the mail are usually scams. Like those free airline tickets but you have to book your rooms at the high rates with one of their motels. Or listen to the time share promotions. When a cruise is "Free" and it's legit, the sponsoring company paid for the cruise, it was not given away by the cruise line.

Archived