Another round of quality reduction / revenue increase changes by RC?

If you haven't seen it, in addition to the room service charge thread, there is also one regarding the quality of liquor available on the ship. Someone on Harmony (?) right now has posted that the changes are in process and he confirmed with the bar manager.

I have been cruising since I was a kid. RCCL has been doing this for many years now. Off the top of my head, here are just a few of the things things they have taken away to save a buck:

Free welcome aboard alcohol drinks when you board the ship Day 1

Small gifts in your room (free tote bags, pens, stationary, post cards, water bottles, welcome aboard gifts etc)

Midnight buffet

An assortment of fresh squeezed juices in the morning

Cheese platters with dinner

Caviar as an appetizer with dinner

Ice carving by the pool

Free t-shirts for those that participated in exercise classes (Ship shape dollars)

Skeet shooting (some cruise lines charged for this. I cannot remember if RCCL did or not)

Golf ball driving into the ocean (same as skeet shooting, cannot remember if RCCL charged for this or not).

Dinner appetizers left in the room late afternoon

Mints/Chocolates left on the pillow each night.

Some of these I miss. Some I do not. $8 for room service is completely absurd though. I am betting they get backlash on that new one.

On the flip side of the argument, by taking away these things and others cruise lines have been able to hold the overall cost of a cruise pretty flat for several decades now. My dad said he paid close to $5k for my family to sail back in the mid 80's. My family of four is cruising on the Oasis in 68 days with a balcony room for $3.2k.

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

Skeet shooting and golfing I understand from the environmental standpoint.

Some of the changes are those little touches that are not very missed. But the room service charge and booze downgrades are ridiculous.

Royal's reputation of a nickle and dime line is being confirmed.. Very sad.

As is Holland America's, as is NCL's, as is Princess', etc. When it's everyone it's not anyone's reputation but rather the reputation of our society as a whole and in its entirety.

I have been cruising since I was a kid. RCCL has been doing this for many years now. Off the top of my head, here are just a few of the things things they have taken away to save a buck:

Free welcome aboard alcohol drinks when you board the ship Day 1

Small gifts in your room (free tote bags, pens, stationary, post cards, water bottles, welcome aboard gifts etc)

Midnight buffet

An assortment of fresh squeezed juices in the morning

Cheese platters with dinner

Caviar as an appetizer with dinner

Ice carving by the pool

Free t-shirts for those that participated in exercise classes (Ship shape dollars)

Skeet shooting (some cruise lines charged for this. I cannot remember if RCCL did or not)

Golf ball driving into the ocean (same as skeet shooting, cannot remember if RCCL charged for this or not).

Dinner appetizers left in the room late afternoon

Mints/Chocolates left on the pillow each night.

Some of these I miss. Some I do not. $8 for room service is completely absurd though. I am betting they get backlash on that new one.

On the flip side of the argument, by taking away these things and others cruise lines have been able to hold the overall cost of a cruise pretty flat for several decades now. My dad said he paid close to $5k for my family to sail back in the mid 80's. My family of four is cruising on the Oasis in 68 days with a balcony room for $3.2k.

You can still get the cheese platter before dinner. Just ask for it. If you have an assigned seating time, your waiter will have it on your table every night.