Dining reservation logistics question when traveling with friends

MTJtraveller

Hi All! I am new to Viking Ocean and am super excited for our cruise next year. Plenty of time to read up on and plan.

We are two couples traveling together, same room catagory but different TA's who helped us book our cruise. When it comes time for specialty dining reservations to open up how do we ensure that we are able to make reservations making note of the other couple we would like to dine with? I have no idea what it all looks like so thought I'd ask here. Anyone have logistics answers for me?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Once you are onboard, you can make your reservations at the World Café during lunch hours. There is a person with a computer there. As long as you have the room numbers of the other guests, it is no problem making the reservations for as large a group as you want. We did this for Manfredi's and I saw others doing it for the Chef's Table. Very easy and convenient! The line is longer on the day you board but they will be there to help you every day of the cruise.

Once you are onboard, you can make your reservations at the World Café during lunch hours. There is a person with a computer there. As long as you have the room numbers of the other guests, it is no problem making the reservations for as large a group as you want. We did this for Manfredi's and I saw others doing it for the Chef's Table. Very easy and convenient! The line is longer on the day you board but they will be there to help you every day of the cruise.

I think the OP meant, before boarding, as I am in the same situation. We can make our reservations 60 days prior to sailing.. how do I coordinate both reservations.

I think the OP meant, before boarding, as I am in the same situation. We can make our reservations 60 days prior to sailing.. how do I coordinate both reservations.

Lose no more sleep over this one.

You each to have to reserve in advance separately. You should try to coordinate times as best you can, but don't worry if you don't get the same times. Just book the reservations. THEN, when you board, go to the reservation desk in the World Cafe (port side) and have them link the two reservations and make any adjustments in time. At the same time, you can check out the menus for the Chef's Table and make any additional reservations you want for the specialty restaurants.

Hi All! I am new to Viking Ocean and am super excited for our cruise next year. Plenty of time to read up on and plan.

We are two couples traveling together, same room catagory but different TA's who helped us book our cruise. When it comes time for specialty dining reservations to open up how do we ensure that we are able to make reservations making note of the other couple we would like to dine with? I have no idea what it all looks like so thought I'd ask here. Anyone have logistics answers for me?

We will be on the Homelands Cruise on the Sky in May. I asked this question of my contact person at Viking Cruises and was told to call/email her (she has been most helpful answering all my questions) when our reservation date becomes available. We can arrange our table reservation for our party of 6, all with the same stateroom category, through her at that time. The six of us have the same TA but that was never an issue when I asked how to make our reservation for the specialty restaurants

We will be doing this next week or so and as she has been most helpful I expect this process will be hassle free. Deborah

Thanks for all your info. We will try to make reservations a the same time. I presume this works for excursions as well.

When you book these you are booking a time so if you all have the same time great but this does not mean you all will be on the same bus so check with the Explorer's Desk when you board to make sure your are assigned accordingly.

Try to book in advance if you can. We are on Sea in February. We were joining my husband's aunt and uncle, who are not tech savvy. I booked reservations when our time slot opened up. They system would only allow me to make reservations for two. I thought, no big deal, I will add them to my reservation when I get onboard. When I went to change the reservation, they told me they were booked the entire cruise! We ended up going by ourselves the first night. Then I was steaming all through dinner as I saw 10 table with enough room to fit 4 people remain empty the entire 1 hour and 15 minutes we were there. We gave his aunt and uncle our second reservation so that they could at least get to enjoy a different restaurant, but I did tell Viking on my comment card how disappointed I was that reservations weren't handled more efficiently.

Next time, we will call ahead of time.To tell the truth, the restaurant was as good as Manfredi's so I didn't feel like we missed anything (although my husband loved their mussels!).

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful for when the time comes to book online the speciaty restaurant reservations. We will try to coordinate and then contact Viking directly to connect the reservations, prior to sail. What you experienced Graceswan was exactly what I feared.

Excursions aren't as big a problem. If you are taking the included tours and have booked the same time, they will ask that families or groups head to the buses together so they can have you seated together for the tour. The key is booking the same time for the same tour.

Excursions aren't as big a problem. If you are taking the included tours and have booked the same time, they will ask that families or groups head to the buses together so they can have you seated together for the tour. The key is booking the same time for the same tour.

Yes, it is the key and also the weak link of the chain. Viking has the habit of making changes to reservations without asking people and without telling them that they have done it. Therefore, if you are traveling with other cabins, it is important to keep an eye on your reservations even after they have been made and to contact Viking immediately if they make any changes to your reservation. Then, when you board the ship, you should check the tickets again to make sure that no further changes have been made.

Just an FYI. Today was the first day we could book our dining reservations. I emailed the person at Viking who I guess is assigned to me since our friends have different contact people, and gave her a list of dates and times we would like for the specialty dining. I gave her our names and confirmation numbers along with times and dates choices. She made our reservations and they are already showing on My Viking Journey Calendar. Excellent and prompt service from her has been my experience I'm very happy to say. Deborah