Rome to Venice by train

vino100

If you only have two days in Rome, my advice would be to stay in Rome -- there is so much to see there. As the above poster says, it is of course POSSIBLE to go to Venice, but it's a long, long trip for a day. Of course, if you are convinced this is your one and only chance to ever see Venice, then you have to decide....

Oh, thank you! I expect it to be a very long day but I'm ready, I believe it is worth time spended. I'm in love with Venice:hearteyes:

Is it the fastest train to Venice?

Those are high speed Frecciarosa trains, 3.45 hrs and you are in Venice. Very reasonably priced if you purchase tickets in advance.

All my family tells me this:D I don't think that it's my one and only chance, but we will be so close, only 4 hours. That's why we all decided to split for one day - mummy will go to Venice and my DH with kids will stay in Rome. I understand how difficult such trip could be for kids, so I don't push. Anyway, it's my obsession:D

In that case, go for it. Sounds like you've got a plan. (I'd probably do the same if it was the other way around -- e.g., Rome from Venice....)

The best site to book your tickets is trenitalia.com -- if you go to the website, there's an English option. But remember the station names are in Italian. Roma Termini = Rome station you'd probably use from central Rome if booking the high-speed train. And Venezia S. Lucia = the station in Venice that's closest to the sites.

Have you used these trains by yourself? How comfortable they are? 3.45 hrs is a long way, I hope to be able to take a good nap, especially in the morning one;) Do they have their site in English to book tickets in advance? Or Italian only?

Sure, I have done this trip several times. I love trains so it's a treat for me. Venice is magical. I first visited with my Mom when I was 11 years old and keep returning and returning, whenever I'm close enough. I've been back to Venice at least a dozen times since then.

Trenitalia.com in English is easy to navigate.

Have you used these trains by yourself? How comfortable they are? 3.45 hrs is a long way, I hope to be able to take a good nap, especially in the morning one;) Do they have their site in English to book tickets in advance? Or Italian only?

I have traveled on trenitalia trains by myself for years. Longest I did was Milan-Venice. I always book early to get a business seat for the price of the later-purchased coach seats. I have napped on the train. The trenitalia site is excellent and has an English choice. Be sure to choose the "choose my seat" option - it will take you to the seat map and you can pick what you like. On some of the business trains, there is 1x2 seating, so I'll always pick the "1" option.

I'm back. This thread has lots of helpful info, thx! I finally looked at Train schedules today. I tried for a round trip from Venezia St..... To Roma Termini and the calendar appeared to be there for my August & September dates. When I plug in Aug. 30, it only gave me 3 fast trains at night, 525 pm arriving Rone, 9pm! When I looked earlier last month it appeared there were trains running every couple hrs from 930 AM to 11:00, 1:00 etc. I'm hoping this is a fluke & not the real schedule. I need an earlier train, any thoughts? Is it maybe because I'm doing round trip?? Do they book up this fast? I thought schedules weren't available on Trenitila until 90 days out? Any advice very much appreciated. I was on the English Trenitila site. Thanks