* LIVE from the Rotterdam - 30 day Passage to Spain and Western Europe - Mar. 30th*

kazu

A group of us on CC have Daniel scheduled for October. Please let us know where you explored on Madiera. The espatadas looked really yummy!

We had toured with Daniel before so we were offered an itinerary we hadn't done.

I had asked for the market which was included and the remainder of the itinerary was:

Terreiro de Luta

Pico de Ariero

Portela

Porto view of NE

Quator Estrada

Machico

Santo de Serra.

I think any of the itineraries he offers are good. This is our second and I have yet to encounter anyone who was unhappy on his tours :)

Thanks for the wonderful review and all the pictures!! I see you are having a great time!!

I had a couple good conversations with Stryker out in the "smoker's area" when he was the piano player on our Westerdam sailing last September. He's a very nice guy. Does he still have those wild piano-key glasses? Too fun!

Yes, he still has those wild piano glasses. They are a hoot :D. Great guy.

Jacqui' date=' looks like the restaurant we were at when we cruised on the Riviera with you and G&G.

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

It does look similar, but it's not the same restaurant. This one is on the other side of Madeira where we were this time.

Daniel offered the typical Portuguese lunch and I was happy to do that again. Everyone enjoyed it :)

Oops, I wasn't able to finish my posts on the 7th, so apologies here is that night's dinner menu - sorry I got behind.

04bdbad34d91aaaf697161172c22c8bc.jpg

000410bb36874d928d136e7a12574656.jpg

9f8c0f21c44580fff72062cabd270b52.jpg

Looks like we will have 2 extra empty cabins once we arrive in Madeira. Two people being held in their respective cabins and under guard. Being put off in Madeira. Now, this is second hand information from a person on board who was told this by an officer friend.

I don't know if it is true or not but I do know a couple of people received warnings.

In any case, we are still on board, so let's get stop backtracking and get on to today.

It's April 8th here and we have just gotten back on board the lovely Rotterdam.

Our day started early as we had a tour with Daniel Madeira taxi tours. We have used him in the past and really enjoyed our time, so we had 3 vans of CC roll call members on this one. 6 people to a van so it was very comfortable for all and no crowding.

The day was quite nice and although DH and I took a jacket and sweater respectively, we never used them although a few did when we got in the cooler areas where the clouds are and there is little sun.

Our itinerary was, of course, different than the last one. We had missed seeing Madeira proper so I asked if we could have a few minutes. By the time we got back the markets, etc would be closed.

Daniel, as always, obliging gave us a brief tour including a stop at the the market and a bit of time on our own. Perfect! A banking machine across the street for those that needed euros and the market.

OMG - a conglomeration of fish, lovely vegetables and flowers.

Just look at the FISH.

The first one is tuna. They are HUGE.

Daniel tells us that in the summer at peak time they are 600 pounds!

76288f2dd7a81fdd5501ceb3ffb02e60.jpg

And some of these fish are nearly eels. Delectable I am told.

4a843506f2ef27242987fc6146d609c9.jpg

ea7a0ae3c5df29ab1954b05d8f947dd8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course, Kazu headed to the flower market. Absolutely exquisite. And of course, a purchase had to be made. (Who? Kazu? Buy flowers? LOL)

a31e72e60df4ca21a60dc61df614c121.jpg

For anyone coming to Madeira, be sure to come in 2019 when there will be big celebrations as Madeira will be 600 years old.

Funchal is named for a plant that grows like wild here - fennel. Like many it is not native to Funchal. It was brought here and like everything else, it took to the soil, so it is the plant of Funchal.

Madeira of course means wood and Madeira was named for all the beautiful trees and wood that grow here. It was sad to see the devastation that the fire caused 7 months ago. All due to vandalism. The ones responsible are jailed but it will take some time to restore those areas hit.

We started climbing up (Madeira is VERY mountainous) and we were heading for the peaks.

Our first top was Monte Peace monument. It's so named because in WWI a promise was made that it would be built in thanks if the war ended. It ended and it was built.

582ab4219beda3971546fc811d1b5a53.jpg

c2e77103b367df16222eea9c0b39751a.jpg

d8a7d0fc4da3ab159473c127105ff539.jpg

What is amazing is that a rosary was built to go around it. The rosary is comprised of stones (big) and a huge chain. It encircles themonument. The Rosary was built at sea level and had to be brought to the mountain summit. 300 men formed a parade and took the long walk to take it to it's place of honour.

c4fa077b951f7aad90f778fd9e719a0b.jpg

d71da9239dc7da2a92a4d2fd5c2dcca0.jpg

I was a bit enthralled with this monument and the lovely church there.

4e10061d984e96a94778749a8b186501.jpg

Of course, the views were fantastic as well.

46df4d90e3e26dfb71a2587f6a565b64.jpg

804875906a4ef7e2cdbbdaaaac26bf86.jpg

Afterwards, we continued climbing up - we would be 5,000 feet above sea level and above the clouds.

From the van on our way up

6fed531378b87209e85599b52b73a4fd.jpg

And then another great view.

ce6365ef635b0095ed6c92c44b790378.jpg

Our internet disappeared again so I had to wait to carry on with Madeira.

Such a pretty spot and such lovely flowers even though it is very early in Spring.

8498b6dc285223d65ad1446190061c06.jpg

8b7f1c9011d394a77ea02df105530ea5.jpg

574470e80009f9dc6cc627d6d9bbbad6.jpg

Our drivers:

bf39566dff0dec774457789dab3d989d.jpg

Soon we were on our way to our next view point and what did I see there?

FLOWERS! Tons of flowers.

You will see some you recognize

481d7dac91111611afdf7bac73325eb7.jpg

And others you won't. These are called proteas and originate in South Africa. Like so many things here one try and they were successful. They can last for a month. And big surprise, this is what kazu got at the flower market earlier.

979e26b602debf71c03adbcb40572880.jpgdda874e3bf48af7014f67f0631b15d85.jpg

And the views - my camera can't do it justice. All I will stay is it is amazing. So many places you can see it here. What we saw this time was totally different than the last.

3e77f4dce3ca8b2be44baf93fdba108e.jpg

cf15d960523854b8688045e436218a6a.jpg

Our next stop was lunch.

YAY Daniel did a great job again. I posted a few pics earlier. We ate at Bar Restaurante Portela a Vista. (Yes, it sure does have a view).

A small place - a lot of locals and some knowledgeable tourists.

Menu was the fresh salad, their specialty bread they make here in Madeira, corn based home fries and french fries with that lovely skewered beef they do here. It is so tender and tasty that those of us that said we could only manage a piece managed more than one. All for the grand price of 16 euros per person. Considering the momentary free wifi added in, it was a real bargain.

Meal was delicious and I mean delicious. Worth every penny, oops euro.

Next stop was a nice view point where you could see different sides of the island.

b7f2a4e62da403b9cd0448b3f71c13c5.jpg

67a947cb007ca8cb93e44ea98fe6c541.jpg

b2b4c52ff8fb426f2923c4124215fb6f.jpg

da640c34cb220d38761e1445286567a3.jpg

This is the port for the container ships. Madeira wisely decided that industrial ports should be on one side and the cruise port should only be for cruise ships. It would be nice if the rest of Europe would follow suit - LOL.

929c030f1bbc0c519ceaf623752270f2.jpg

Interesting enough, the airport is on the other side. There is not much room on the runway so a plane doesn't want to overtake.

Originally the runway was 1800 metres but it was expanded to 2800 metres about 16 years ago. There are over 95 pillars underneath supporting it as it was built on top of the bay. We marvelled as we watched some planes come in and take off. Busy little airport.

3884ed3ef719bb373492aff4fe070210.jpg

A view more views and pics. I really wish that the camera could show you just how magnificent it is.

f27b16e9f25de6ea73b048e732fafcb4.jpg

656b7c7f1309e10e8e74bffa69a785a1.jpg

cf17ea005d4aabd67ba27fc1b3e9fcfb.jpg

Soon it was time to head down to sea level and bid adieu to Daniel.

63d681684960195feb5cb311cb3e7890.jpg

Everyone on the tour had a great time, happy to say. We saw so much, learned so much and had an absolutely fantastic time on this beautiful island.

Everywhere we went we were amazed by the nature, the streams (Madeira has over 5,000 that come from the mountains - all good water to drink) that spring from the rocks.

the roads are very small in places and no place to park so those on the hillsides park below and have to walk up and carry up any groceries or purchases. Amazing place.

Sail away from here is always pretty. Guaranteed. Enjoyed it very much. But I didn't like the Captain's news on sail a way. Spain is an hour ahead so the clocks are going forward AGAIN. YIKES.

Tomorrow looks like a busy day. Our passports are to be picked up. Our Culinary Class is at 11 am and then at 3 pm, I have to check the turn around procedures for Barcelona.

The only thing I don't like about the turnaround procedure talk is that you have to listen to all the shore excursion talk, too. But it is what it is. LOL.

For this segment, we are taking it easy tour wise. We are doing HAL's tour in Cadiz for the Flamenco show as we know the Taverna and the quality and want to return.

The rest we are doing our own exploring pretty much as we know what we want to see and do and think we can do it ourselves.

the 2nd segment is another story as much requires travel so it will be a number of early starts and long days.

Here is tonight's dinner menu:

c68060c0517bb3338cbf18fe1117d22e.jpg

ce42bb469fddcfc5272a1df7a11a8d44.jpg

What a lovely day! Thanks for posting all the pictures. What a beautiful place.

Thanks Gail. Your flowers were emptied but made if for the entire TA. Thank heavens I had the vase (although I am sure I could have gotten one - this is MUCH easier and it is being filled with new flowers. A few empty spaces so once it is filled I will post a pic of your vase being put to VERY good use :)

Everyone looks great and enjoying the martini bar!! Such a beautiful fun ship !

Tell mom we are getting great updates from you so not to worry about calling from land! Alls good here!

Olivia

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Olivia.

Your mother saw your post and read it to your dad as well.

I think she plans on calling in Barcelona though.

Cheers from the lovely Rotterdam - sitting with your Mother and she sends her love.

She wants to know if Elizabeth is behaving - LOL.

Hi Kazu, yes you can tell mom the other daughter is on her best behaviour as well lol I will try and find the itinerary to see which port is next. Madeira looks like a beautiful island and dad must have been in heaven looking at all the scenery and mountains!! I'm sure he spotted some new birds also!

Hi Kazu,

Just caught up with your Live thread. I am enjoying your posts and pictures. I'm glad you had Bingo on your cruise. I was afraid HAL was doing away :eek: with Bingo because on my cruise we had only about 4 days of Bingo and we had many sea days with none. I think it had to do with the show host that we had. The first half was with show host Joep and we had bingo. His contract was up when we got to Lima and the new show host Jessica did Bingo once before Joep left and then didn't do it again until the last sea day. I was very disappointed and let HAL know about it especially since most of our sea days were on the way back to San Diego. Our Where & When was called the Daily Navigator, I guess they all have there own names to use. Hope to sail with you again in the future.

Dot:cool:

Hi Kazu

Brief hijack from the Westy. Hope your crossing was as good as mine.

Heading back to Cadiz from Seville-what a great day

I can't believe it's almost over. Enjoy the rest of your trip

Hijack away :)

Glad your crossing was good. An officer told us you hit some rough seas.

Ours was nearly glass smooth. Perfect.

We are in Cadiz right now. Having their delicious oj and catching up a bit with some free wifi.

Hi Kazu,

Just caught up with your Live thread. I am enjoying your posts and pictures. I'm glad you had Bingo on your cruise. I was afraid HAL was doing away :eek: with Bingo because on my cruise we had only about 4 days of Bingo and we had many sea days with none. I think it had to do with the show host that we had. The first half was with show host Joep and we had bingo. His contract was up when we got to Lima and the new show host Jessica did Bingo once before Joep left and then didn't do it again until the last sea day. I was very disappointed and let HAL know about it especially since most of our sea days were on the way back to San Diego. Our Where & When was called the Daily Navigator, I guess they all have there own names to use. Hope to sail with you again in the future.

Dot:cool:

Nice to hear from you Dot!!

Hope we sail together again too.

I'm losing my Bingo buddies John & Patsy as they get off in Barcelona. Hope some boarding will be afficionados but with just a few sea days on the 2nd leg, I doubt there will be much Bingo.

Bingo wasn't every day but quite often. Probably 5 out of the 8 sea days, I think.

Hi Kazu, yes you can tell mom the other daughter is on her best behaviour as well lol I will try and find the itinerary to see which port is next. Madeira looks like a beautiful island and dad must have been in heaven looking at all the scenery and mountains!! I'm sure he spotted some new birds also!

We are in Cadiz today & Malaga tomorrow. We are about 5 hours ahead of you in Ontario.

Your parents are doing the hop on and off bus today.

I'll let your Mom know the good news. I think she will have her doubts though, LOL.

They both enjoyed Madeira very much - far more than they expected, but birds are few in Madeira. No snakes, no predators, few birds, just rabbits.

I'm really enjoying your posts! I know how much time it takes to keep up with a live report, and it's appreciated![emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much for the kind words :D

I love reading your posts every morning. What a great way to start my day.

p.s. Flowers are beautiful

Thank you :). Looking forward to meeting you soon!!!

In Cadiz taking a break before we head to the market (el mercado)

Good morning from the lovely Rotterdam. It's April 9th here when I composed this post and we are at sea sailing to Cadiz. It's a cooler day and cloudy but we can't complain if we have good weather tomorrow. We really lucked out on Madeira and our crossing so life is good.

Our passports were returned today as we will need them in Barcelona for our turnaround day. I hate carrying our passports in port, preferring our copies but I always come prepared so they should be safe.

Our in transit cards were also delivered which is nice and early along with the instructions. Sadly, we need to be back on board for the 3:15 lifeboat drill. It is what it is and we will comply. It's only a few minutes for safety's sake.

Trying to be objective so I have to report that everything can't be perfect. We hit a couple of hiccups on the cruise. Cold air coming out of the vent over the bed. Really cold. Reported it and it seems to be fixed and much better now. Just hope I don't end up with a cold as of course, it was on MY side of the bed. Had a hot toddy last night as I was losing my voice and hit the hay early. Feeling much better so hopefully an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure.

And, at long last, 4 days later, it seems that my 5* benefit for the Pinnacle Grill will be attended to. I guess it is confusing when you book your PG's on line as they could't find any charges for the PG. LOL. I suggested that these be applied on day 1 just as the loyalty discounts are as well. Sure would make life easy.

Hiccups are all cured so life is good.

We are getting a new PG manager. Our current one gets off the ship in a couple of days. I have to say our new PG manager is VERY impressive. Much more along the lines of what I have come to expect - greets you right away, pulls the chair out, napkin on lap and hands you the menu. Very attentive and observant. I also noticed we had extra staff on for breakfast (one of my favourite waitresses was on this am - we had her on the Westerdam and yes, she remembered us).

PG breakfasts have been fine but this made it much better.

Here is today's When and Where:

b2f28eb91e258888ca23050aeb07c3b9.jpg

ac3ab3940204e794f7736e504c1c1618.jpg

Our Culinary class which has been postponed twice is schedule shortly. Really looking forward to it. Told to bring our cameras so kazu will be snapping. LOL.

Interesting enough - our confirmation came on the old style reservation form, unlike the others we have received on the ship.

Turnaround talk is today too. Not sure if I need to go now that we have the instructions. Seems pretty straight forward, but, since Bingo follows in the same location I shall go.

I am starting to feel very sorry for those passengers getting off in Barcelona. It's been a wonderful cruise so far and I know if I had to get off, I would be wishing I could stay on.

Tonight we are having roll call members Cam & Bob at our table and over for drinks & munchies before dinner.

Here is our menu for tonight:

ce993839b09d33c05a5107a87fd5ddb8.jpg

b5dce32f525c5f8463443773b5db41d6.jpg

664aada2752eeacef760a74eaac72982.jpg