What to do in Tortola, British Island

Peñarol

I have been to,Tortola many times, first time go to Cane Garden beach but after that Jost Van dyke is a must. They have real Beach Bars , Soggy Dollar and the One Love Bar are real shacks , I love them. Take the ship tour to be sure of your timing, you may get to,like it too much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went a very long time ago on one of our early cruises and our snorkeling excursion was cancelled due to choppy seas. We walked off the ship and took an open air bus to a beach (not sure what one). It was a wild ride on a very windy road so we held on tight and had fun with it. We came over a hill and saw the most beautiful blue-green water. We rented a couple of lounge chairs and umbrellas and had a frozen drink while our boys had a great time in the waves. Our ride back was less eventful in a van. We had a wonderful time and I've had a soft spot for Tortola ever since.

LOL! So you are agreeing with me there is nothing on Tortola and your advice is to go to another island? Really?

The post you quoted mentions Cane Garden Bay, which is on Tortola.

As far as nothing on the island... We love it so much we've spent a week on the island, and can't wait to do it again. Different strokes... I don't need touristy traps to find fun.

The post you quoted mentions Cane Garden Bay, which is on Tortola.

As far as nothing on the island... We love it so much we've spent a week on the island, and can't wait to do it again. Different strokes... I don't need touristy traps to find fun.

Yes, but 2/3rds of his recommendations were to leave the island.

If you go to Tortola you have to go to The Baths (take a ship tour though as it's on a different island) but after 25+ cruises this was one of the most amazing beaches/sites I've seen. It's simply amazing, google The Baths and you won't want to miss it.

IMHO the Baths are not that great, but special for some folks. At any rate, if you want to do this DO NOT pay a premium for a Ship tour, simply take the short walk to the ferry, ride to VG and return....easy-peasy.

If you don't plan on going into the water there is a "Tortola by land & by sea" tour that tours you halfway around the island by boat and then they drive you back in a tour truck.. not real elegant but if your looking to see the island you'll cover some distance!

Island was interesting.. and I def would not rate it down at the level of Nassau.. our experience was good.

Celebrity Equinox - 7 myself West Carib. - Jul 16,2017

NCL Escape - 7 nts East Carib. - Oct 22, 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Bhick1

LOL! So you are agreeing with me there is nothing on Tortola and your advice is to go to another island? Really?

Lol...I guess people that vacation on cape cod do that because there is nothing to do in Boston? lol I digress

As far as Tortola is concerned...cane garden bay is on the island

And jost and vg are excursions related to Tortola

You aren't going to find jost or vg on any mainstream port of call because they are accessed via Tortola for the cruise ships so that is more than likely the reason for the stop...among other reasons of course

However I think that any cruiser who just walks off the ship and tours the port area will of course dislike the island

The beauty in these port stops is getting away from the port.

The beauty in these port stops is getting away from the port.

Very true statement.. can be said for so many destinations.. Lol... it'd be like sitting in the parking lot of your destination and never going in.. Go explore! :-)

Celebrity Equinox - 7 myself West Carib. - Jul 16,2017

NCL Escape - 7 nts East Carib. - Oct 22, 2016

>> In my opinion, nothing. I've been on 50+ cruises and hundreds of ports and Tortola rates near the bottom of the list. It's almost like Nassau, hardly worth getting off the ship. <<

WOW...:rolleyes:

Tortola is a beautiful, lush island with gorgeous beaches, great snorkeling, amazing views of the bays and other islands from the hilltops, and wonderful people. How did you miss all that????? :confused:

Actually smaller cruise ships do make calls at both Jost and Virgin Gorda and these are very nice options. But when looking at going to either from the Road Town, Tortola or West End, Tortola port you need to check the cruise ship schedule for all of these islands so you aren't disappointed by large crowds that day -

http://bviports.org/cruise-schedule/

Cane Garden Bay is a nice, large bay with a pretty beach and several beach bars/restaurants and watersports rentals. That makes it the go-to beach for most day visitors. Highly recommend the cheeseburger in paradise or fish tacos at Tony's (formerly Stanley's famous Welcome Bar), or a fish dish at Myett's next door.

Brewers Bay is a very nice beach with snorkeling and one beach bar, Nicole's.

The Baths on Virgin Gorda are indeed unique and a must-see for most folks, once is enough for many but others will want to return. You can take the ship excursion or go on your own. 10 minute walk to the ferry, 30 minute ferry each way and a short taxi to the Top of the Baths. Cost is about $38pp round trip, you'll find tons of info on this and other ideas in this forum.

White Bay is a nice beach, and we enjoy having Painkillers at the Soggy $ and Seddy's Bushwacker at his One Love Bar. But id definitely gets much more crowded there nowadays, and on weekends forget about it.

A nice day is a taxi and free ferry to Marina Cay, if interested take a look at that and Trellis Bay.

There are also excellent catamaran day sails that will work for cruisers including Aristocat Charters, Kuralu, and Patouche. Itineraries include snorkeling the Indians and Norman Caves with lunch at Pirate's Bight or Cooper Island, or White Bay for drinking and lunch after a stop at Sandy Spit and Diamond Cay.

And for those short port times but you want to see the beauty of Tortola, there are several drivers at the port offering great island tours at very reasonable prices, some include a beach stop. Be sure to stop by Sunny Caribbee,a great little spice and rub shop not far from the cruise dock. Pusser's Pub is also a fun spot for a pint and we like their clothing line, the store is in the back and upstairs.

I would absolutely 100% recommend taking a ferry to the Virgin Gordon (#onyourown ). As I recall you can check out the time schedule and rates on line. When you leave the port and walk for about 5 minutes to the ferry. A beautiful walk thru the large rock formations to a beach for some sun and r&r

I would absolutely 100% recommend taking a ferry to the Virgin Gordon (#onyourown ). As I recall you can check out the time schedule and rates on line. When you leave the port and walk for about 5 minutes to the ferry. A beautiful walk thru the large rock formations to a beach for some sun and r&r

I feel bad for Virgin Gordon. Poor guy.

I haven't been since 2010 and it was one of favorite stops! We rented a car for the day and went to Smugglers Cove, I think. Beautiful, wish we had stayed all day but we went to another beach, Brewer's Bay, it was past Cane Garden. There were some bars there and it had a very "green" lagoon feel. Very different than other Caribbean beaches.

Brewers is a very nice beach with beautiful water. But Smuggler's Cove is a gorgeous, secluded beach with very limited amenities and so very few day visitors. Glad you were able to experience that, even for a short while!

PS - When you were there Miss Patricia and Nigel may have still been there selling food and drinks. We really miss Patricia's burger and chicken...

My wife and I with another couple did it twice for 10 days, bare boating with a Cal39 in 1987 and again in 1994 with a Whitby 42 and there isn't a better sailing ground in the Caribbean than the BVI. No other people to contend with, anchoring in the lee of any island, going overboard for a swim or snorkel, etc. All that before the cruise ship crowd discovered the islands since there were no docks in Roadtown. But it takes an experienced sailor to handle the boats and our women who have to cook at least three meals day. (grin). Also next bay over at Jost van Dyke was/is Foxy's, wildly popular with sailors. what happened, is foxy still alive, my business card is still stapled at the ceiling there.

Yes, still going strong, and his son Seddy has his One Love Bar in White Bay. Seddy is an entertainer like dad, except he entertains folks with his magic and card tricks.

What's within easy walking distance of the dock, anything ?

There are some nice shops, and the cruise pier area is new. Sunny Caribbee is a great little spice and rub shop that you should visit.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

And Pusser's Road Town Pub is a great English-style pub with good food and ale selections. They also have a nice clothing line and the store is out back and upstairs.

http://pussers.com/our-locations/pussers-road-town-pub/

But you should only spend a little time near the dock after seeing the beauty of Tortola or taking a nice catamaran sail, for example. Or spending the day at Marina Cay or Brewers Bay.

Enjoy your visit to our favorite island. :)

Hi, my wife and I will spend 8 hours in this island and we like to know as much as possible.

What we must visit, beaches, places, restaurants, landmarks anything.

Rent a scoter, cab or take a tour.

Thanks

Welcome to cc! Tortola is a unique port stop with so many choices. With just 8 hours you have several options. If you are a beach lover and yearn to get to that secluded beach where there are no amenities but few day visitors go Smuggler's Cove is it, for a very nice beach where some cruisers go with one beach bar Brewers Bay is popular, and for the busiest beach but still very nice with several beach bars Cane Garden Bay is the spot.

Many folks enjoy an island tour, drivers at the pier offer excellent 3 - 4 hr group tours at very reasonable prices with some including a stop at CGB for lunch and to see the oldest continuously operating rum distillery in the Carib. Very nice way to see the beauty of Tortola for just $20 - $25pp. You can choose a private tour for a bit more. That leaves plenty of time for a nice lunch at Pusser's Pub and shopping.

Enjoy beautiful Tortola! :)

Welcome to cc! Tortola is a unique port stop with so many choices. With just 8 hours you have several options. If you are a beach lover and yearn to get to that secluded beach where there are no amenities but few day visitors go Smuggler's Cove is it, for a very nice beach where some cruisers go with one beach bar Brewers Bay is popular, and for the busiest beach but still very nice with several beach bars Cane Garden Bay is the spot.

Many folks enjoy an island tour, drivers at the pier offer excellent 3 - 4 hr group tours at very reasonable prices with some including a stop at CGB for lunch and to see the oldest continuously operating rum distillery in the Carib. Very nice way to see the beauty of Tortola for just $20 - $25pp. You can choose a private tour for a bit more. That leaves plenty of time for a nice lunch at Pusser's Pub and shopping.

Enjoy beautiful Tortola! :)

First time to Tortola Brewers Bay looks great, How far is this from cruise dock. Thanks for any help

Tortola was our favorite port stop last month. We did a catamaran day with Aristocats Charters. They are fantastic.

We are thinking Aristocats. Which itinerary did you do? We only are in port 7-3 with Escape NCL