What to do in Tortola, British Island

Peñarol

Hi, my wife and I will spend 8 hours in this island and we like to know as much as possible.

What we must visit, beaches, places, restaurants, landmarks anything.

Rent a scoter, cab or take a tour.

Thanks

In my opinion, nothing. I've been on 50+ cruises and hundreds of ports and Tortola rates near the bottom of the list. It's almost like Nassau, hardly worth getting off the ship.

Tortola is absolutely my favorite island in the Caribbean. Although the cruise industry is poised to ruin it by flooding it with tourists and tourist traps, it still retains most of it's natural beauty. I'd recommend Cane Garden Bay, which is breathtaking.

Tortola is absolutely my favorite island in the Caribbean. Although the cruise industry is poised to ruin it by flooding it with tourists and tourist traps, it still retains most of it's natural beauty. I'd recommend Cane Garden Bay, which is breathtaking.

Thanks, I will check it.

How do you get there?

.........or like to sail and/or snorkel:D

once you've gone to Virgin Gorda and the Baths, there isnt much for Tortola UNLESS you are a lie on the beach all day person.

you are lucky that you get 8 hours there. most of the NCL ships are there just a half day.

I want to third the NCL excision to Jost Van Dyke! We took the Rebel Yell catamaran to the island! It was well worth the price and would do it again. Our time in Tortola was 7 AM to 1 PM and the excursion fill the entire time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved Tortola. Government House is a lovely museum and historic house with a beautiful garden. It's about a 3/4 mile walk down the main waterfront street.

This is our first time in Tortola so we want stay in the island, anything else to recommend?

If you haven't been to Virgin Gorde/The Baths at least once in your life, you must go. It's heaven on earth!

You should find more information under the Ports section of this forum.

You do not need to do an expensive ship excursion.

I concur... go to Virgin Gorda! On our cruise earlier this month, they canceled tours to Virgin Gorda and JVD -- due to strong winds. We rented a private boat and went to Norman Island... had the time of our life. Swimming, bathing, snorkeling and drinks were outstanding....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I want to third the NCL excision to Jost Van Dyke! We took the Rebel Yell catamaran to the island! It was well worth the price and would do it again. Our time in Tortola was 7 AM to 1 PM and the excursion fill the entire time!

I seem to be in the minority here. Did this excursion in February and was looking forward to it after all the great reviews. The catamaran ride was 45 minutes with no narration as to what we were seeing. Disappointing given all the islands we were passing. I also found the ride to/from very crowded with some people having to stand. Once on the island there were a small number of nice adirondeck chairs and low beach chairs you could use and place them where you pleased. No loungers. No umbrellas and very little shade. The pain killers were good though and the beach was nice although I much prefer Orient Beach on St. Martin. IMHO this excursion was over priced. Glad I did it and could cross it off my list but would not do it again.

I seem to be in the minority here. Did this excursion in February and was looking forward to it after all the great reviews. The catamaran ride was 45 minutes with no narration as to what we were seeing. Disappointing given all the islands we were passing. I also found the ride to/from very crowded with some people having to stand. Once on the island there were a small number of nice adirondeck chairs and low beach chairs you could use and place them where you pleased. No loungers. No umbrellas and very little shade. The pain killers were good though and the beach was nice although I much prefer Orient Beach on St. Martin. IMHO this excursion was over priced. Glad I did it and could cross it off my list but would not do it again.

I can see your point of view... we were lucky enough to sit up with the captain on the way to the Island where she did narrate for us throughout the ride to the island. However, we did end up on the front of the catamaran on the ride home where we were served lots of rum punch but got absolutely soaked... we had fun with it, while others did not and moved to the back where I am sure they had to stand!

I'm with ya in the minority camp! I also agree about Orient Beach.

I will say that the crew on the Rebel Yell excursion I took were very good about pointing out surrounding islands and such.

Someone previously mentioned Aristocat catamaran tour. I did that also and it was one of the best snorkeling excursions I have sailed. Even if you don't snorkel, well worth the scenery, sailing, lunch, open bar and their commentary.

Definitely one of my favorite islands! Go to Cane Garden Bay and then walk over to the Callwood Rum Distillery. It's been operating for 400 years and it's the best rum anywhere! I also enjoyed shopping at Pusser's. We rented a private van. He took us to Cane Garden then came back to get us at a set time and let us shop then go back to the port. It's really a wonderful island. I have to believe if people didn't like it they just didn't get to the right places!

In my opinion, nothing. I've been on 50+ cruises and hundreds of ports and Tortola rates near the bottom of the list. It's almost like Nassau, hardly worth getting off the ship.

Really?

Do you know about Jost van dyke....virgin gorda and cane garden bay?

I know the 1st time we went there last year I did extensive research online. I googled Tortola read about the island. I then went to tripadvisor and looked at the points of interest. When I decided where and what I wanted to see I then came here and went to the ports of call boards. I believe its Blue_water who has extensive knowledge of the island- they are on the tortola board all the time. It let me narrow down the results of what I wanted to do. researching it first gets you photos and reviews and insight.

We went to cane garden bay and I really wish we went to the distillery down the road. It was a relaxing day on a beautiful beach. On a side note the ride over there was interesting. Tortola has very steep ,twisty roads.--like being n a roller coaster in the cab.