Dress code for speciality restaurants - 1st time RCI cruisers

EB13

We are sailing on the Allure in October, our first cruise with RCI. We have previously cruised on NCL several times, so the dress code "thing" is new to us & we don't want to get it totally wrong! We are planning on eating in either the speciality dining venues or more casual ones, probably not venturing to the MDR more than once for dinner.

So..... (without wanting to start a big debate!) what is acceptable for men in the speciality restaurants? My husband likes to wear smart shorts/ linen trousers/ jeans & a polo shirt or smart (non-logo) t-shirt when going for dinner on holiday. Also footwear....?? We live in the UK so we don't get many chances to wear summery clothes & sandals!! The thought of wearing dress trousers etc in the Caribbean (& carrying them from the UK) isn't filling him with joy ;)

TIA

Smart casual every night. I have seen shorts denied in specialties. Jeans would be inappropriate as well( not to mention too heavy for the Caribbean). Collared shirts. A decent pair of khakis is all he really needs. The buffet is anything goes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen people in various types of clothing in the specialty restaurants just as it is in the MDR. I have not seen anyone turned back for having on shorts in the specialty restaurants. :cool:

From the website (though many don't follow it and it doesn't seem to be enforced):

Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

As you can see, it doesn't mention jeans are acceptable under smart casual, but again, many will wear jeans anyway.

Since some of the specialty dining shows casual wear, here's the guidelines for those too:

Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

This is also helpful also:

DressCode_Table.jpg

s.gif

It doesn't say anything about pants at all.

poohstep.gif

love your Winnie the pooh there! I hadn't thought of it your way....if it's not on the list, it's fair game! ;) I see jeans aren't included under formal either. Good point...wear jeans on formal night too! I included the casual and smart casual guidelines so that the OP could interpret it how they wanted. In the end, it doesn't matter since they don't enforce the dress suggestions anyway. Have fun and enjoy your cruise! I hope you enjoy Royal Caribbean!

We're just off Oasis last week and saw it all in both the specialty restaurants and MDR. I was a little paranoid about this before going as well, but DH and my dad both fit in fine in jeans and polos in both the specialty restaurants and the MDR. We did not go to the MDR on formal nights, however. As for shoes, DH wore plain black Vans and my dad wore Sperries. I wore Toms one night and it was fine. I doubt anyone even noticed, I sure wasn't looking at people's feet.

In the MDR, we saw men and women in tank tops, graphic T's, jean shorts. A woman in short jean shorts and spaghetti strap tank top. At Chops, we saw a table of people in suits and dresses next to a family in jeans/khaki shorts and polos/t-shirts. If I hadn't been aware of the clothing debate from these boards, I would have never noticed it.

We're just off Oasis last week and saw it all in both the specialty restaurants and MDR. I was a little paranoid about this before going as well, but DH and my dad both fit in fine in jeans and polos in both the specialty restaurants and the MDR. We did not go to the MDR on formal nights, however. As for shoes, DH wore plain black Vans and my dad wore Sperries. I wore Toms one night and it was fine. I doubt anyone even noticed, I sure wasn't looking at people's feet.

In the MDR, we saw men and women in tank tops, graphic T's, jean shorts. A woman in short jean shorts and spaghetti strap tank top. At Chops, we saw a table of people in suits and dresses next to a family in jeans/khaki shorts and polos/t-shirts. If I hadn't been aware of the clothing debate from these boards, I would have never noticed it.

Because the clothing debate on the boards in completely asinine. Glad you guys had a great cruise. We leave for ours in 4 days.

This is all really helpful, thank you. My DH is breathing a sigh of relief (& so am I since I decided we should give another cruise line a go!) [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tell him to breathe easy. I wear dressy jeans with a button down shirt almost every night for dinner, even formal nights.Something similar to this and I have never had an issue.

rBVaEVeS9ZmAajPNAABsh5Mi1ZA806.jpg

But jeans with a polo would be completely acceptable and you guys wouldn't feel out of place at all.

We had our first NCL cruise this past January, and we were so happy with the more relaxed atmosphere and dress code. Although we have enjoyed our Royal cruises, we were so much happier with such a stress free vacation with NCL. So, I understand your reluctance to drag dressy clothes along when on holiday. And although everyone is posting you can get in to these Royal restaurants in shorts, I've seen people turned away. Hopefully, that will not happen to you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums