Whos had a birthday on board ?

rumbaLiz

Have any of you celebrated a birthday whilst onboard?

Tell me how you celebrated your day and what extras if any you recieved from Princess.

Would like to hear from all ages especially teens as it will be my daughters 16th next year and could well be on a cruise at that time.

Hubby has his birthday cruise each year. They place balloons outside the cabin that say "Happy Birthday" and he is always provided with a cake and lots of singing by the waiters. This past March we booked the alternate with 6 other couples to celebrate and they brought out a fantastic fresh strawberry birthday cake large enough for all 8 people with left overs.

Just a nice way to celebrate.

(and make sure if you don't have assigned dining that you alert them when the special day is, as it is very hard for them to keep track of where you will be dining with PC dining now)

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

Have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries. Some times received balloons and some times not. Think this depends on your cabin steward. If you want the Princess birthday cake, card from the Captain and the "Happy Birthday" song make sure to mention this to your senior dining steward when seated or the night before in traditional dining room. Despite putting it on the cruise personalizer or TA telling Princess you might not receive it if you don't.

Future cruises:

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

I just took mom on a birthday cruise and she had balloons on the door on the day requested. At dinner that night she heard them singing to other people and asked if I had told them in the dining room. I told her no. (I did it on the personalizer instead icon_biggrin.gif ) She got the cake and song and was surprised anyway! Also the card from the captain included. She felt special that day. icon_cool.gif

We registered for one on personalizer and it was overlooked. Oh well, more where that came from.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

OHHH icon_frown.gif poor baby!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BITHDAY SWEET STEVEN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! icon_biggrin.gif Your gift is that you can't hear me singing this!! icon_eek.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Sue, wasn't mine, I would have DEMANDED my cake, SeaFille was more demure.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

icon_biggrin.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET TONI, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! Your gift is that you can't hear me singing this!!

icon_wink.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

We're going on our first Princess cruise next week.

Does this mean we're going to be subjected to waiters singing Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary evening?

We'll be celebrating an anniversary while aboard. I wouldn't dream of subjecting 2000 others to hear waiters singing to us. Come to think of it, we wouldn't subject ourselves to it either!

Oh geez....... icon_rolleyes.gif

VAcation Nut,

Birthday balloons at your door? What fun! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd also be totally traumatized and humiliated by a room full of singing waiters. It's okay on a Disney cruise or if they have a children's dining room, but for adults? Imagine if there's a celebration every night? icon_eek.gif

There were celebrations every night. Even at the 4 tables our waiter had we had 2 birthdays and 2 honeymoons. Their singing was awful, but it was hilarious at the same time. Everyone I saw was having a good time. The singing comes with dessert at the end, and our waiter was kinda slow, icon_biggrin.gif , so there werent that many people left in the dining room when being sung to. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane110:

I wouldn't dream of subjecting 2000 others to hear waiters singing to us. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not crazy about the idea of being sung to in public, but I do have to tell you that 2000 of your closest friends will most likely enjoy those delightful Italian voices. Some of them are very, very good singers! We had an Italian couple at the next table over several nights on Island Princess, and the maitre'd (headwaiter, maybe??) had a GREAT voice, and found a complimentary voices and willing participants in the table next to us. They sang three or four Italian tunes together, and it was wonderful! Spontaneous, a capella. Great fun! We really enjoyed listening to them.

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

On our first cruise 2 years ago we celebrated our 30th anniversary and they had the balloons and a sign on the cabin door. No cake or singing. On our 5/15 cruise to Alaska this year the same thing for my DWs birthday, a sign and balloons but no cake or singing. On both cruises I did not tell the folks in the dining room, and based on what folks in here have said I knew that having the information on the Cruise Personalizer means nothing. I thought possibly since the data was in the computer, and we had to make reservations for the PC dining room (we made all ours the first day) they might pick it up - but they didn't. We would rather not have the singing and the cake - so that was fine with us :-) Sue does a better job anyway - with or without spellcheck.

We sailed on the Grand Princess on my birthday last December. I had actually forgotten it--and so had my partner that morning. The first one to wish me a happy birthday was the woman at check-in.

My partner went to the dining room in the afternoon to alert the maitre d' that it was my birthday. I got my cake that night. The waiter who sang was great. He has a wonderful voice. We had honeymooners at our table. They skipped the first night's dinner icon_wink.gif and got their cake later in the week. He sang a special song for them.

My balloons showed up on the cabin door the day after my birthday. They sure helped make finding our cabin easier when walking down the corridor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does this mean we're going to be subjected to waiters singing Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary evening?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Probably not unless they are told by anyone or over hear you mentioning it. They are very good at picking up information like that and putting the celebrations into motion. Once trained to do things like that they can't understand why anyone would not want that to happen. Their focus is to see you have the best possible cruise and don't want you to miss any of it because of them.

Have you ever not ordered lobster and opted for pasta of chicken, not ordered dessert or juice at breakfast? They just can't understand why cruisers would make that choice "everyone always wants lobster" , etc.. They most likely will question your order. If you don't finish your meal the first thing they want to know is what was wrong and insist on bringing you something else.

Isn't it nice to be so pampered? icon_smile.gif

Future cruises:

Past cruises:

04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

BJS,

Being pampered is wonderful.

But having to listen to a few renditions of "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" or "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY" every evening would make me feel like I'm in a children's restaurant.

It's not classy and it's not pampering. But if most people request it, I'm obviously in the minority.

Jane

Jane110 - I agree totally and we always try to keep it a secret just wish those traveling with us did the same. Also when they have brought the cake, never know if they are going to, it has been after dessert and who could eat it then? Not me.

Future cruises:

Past cruises:

04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

BJS, Druke I,

Agreed!

I had a birthday once onboard. My husband ordered a lovely bottle of champagne.

We didn't tell our tablemates in case one of them would take it upon them themselves to embarrass me.

rumba Liz,

Since you're the one that started this thread..... icon_biggrin.gif

Since your daughter is going to celebrate her 16th birthday on a cruise next year, is there any chance that any of her friends would be coming along?

Or perhaps if she makes some friends in the ship's teen program, they would throw her a Sweet 16 party with her new shipmates?

Jane

I had my 30th birthday on a cruise last year. I entered it in the Cruise Personalizer. I got the little cake, card and song at dinner. No balloons on my cabin door, but I was OK with that.

Pacific Princess '03; Royal Princess '02,'98,'94,'92; Star Princess '02 (new),'90 (old); Grand Princess '00; Pearl '95; Norway '83

Dear Jane 110,

No chance of any friends of Sarahs coming, but yes, after her making lots of friends at the teen club last year I was thinking of having a word with the Teen Reps on the first day of registration. Sweet Sixteen isnt a big thing over here in the UK ,but my girls have caught on to it when watching Mary-Kate and Ashley who are just getting known over here.

We would happily be open to any suggestions that the Teen Reps have . I shall make sure she has a cake etc and special photo and as for the singing she would like that too.

Thanks for telling me all your stories...perhaps a Teen might post a story of his/her birthday on board

Archived