Breakaway vs sunshine

Lisa11081108

Hi everyone! We book the breakaway for October for our family of 4 my kids will be joing us and are 2&4. We are thinking we made the wrong choice as we are reading a ton of bad reviews. The only plus is there iternary for us. Do you think the sunshine is a better family friendly ship and is worth canceling and booking? It seems they have a lot more on board, however the iternary is what didn't sell us and the price. Everyone seems to have a better experience sailing on the sunshine. Now we are thinking maybe it's worth the risk and switch. Has anyone sailed on both ships? Which do you prefer and why? Any info is really appreciated!

Two completely different ships that sail from completely different ports. If you live in the northeast then you are looking at a lot of added expense and/or time to travel to the Sun. I don't have experience on both...just making sure that the added travel time and money for one or the other is part of the decision making process :)

Thank you for the reply! They are both leaving out of NY and are disembarking a day apart. So no issues with that. I appreciate the help though!

Though prefer smaller ships, I think with kids, the Breakaway would be a great choice. I don't know where yo have been reading negative comments about the ship. Remember you will always find some that are never happy or like to say "I remember when" but we just got off the Breakaway; it has a lot of positives.

Yes the carnival sunshine and the breakaway are both leaving out of NY a day apart. I'm new to cruising so I have no idea which is even carnival vs ncl.

AHH...now that makes more sense...I thought you were comparing 2 Norwegian ships...thus the thought regarding Sun as apposed to Sunshine. Breakaway certainly has an awful lot of kids options and activities...but I have no background regarding the Carnival Sunshine...

I took my son when he was one on breakaway a few years ago. He has so much fun. Although he was too young to be left at splash academy they had things for him to do. Everyday they would leave toys out and have mommy and me classes for guppies. We are going back at the end of this month with him now three and little brother one along with his one year old cousin and my friends two year old. They are going to have a blast. If you aren't sure look up breakaway Norwegian toddler on YouTube. There is one family who had a very long video of their family trip with their yougins. It's fun to watch.

Yes the carnival sunshine and the breakaway are both leaving out of NY a day apart. I'm new to cruising so I have no idea which is even carnival vs ncl.

If you want to learn more about each ship, I recommend checking out the Carnival boards here as well.

I personally have disliked some of the business decisions made by Carnival's parent company, so I vote with my wallet and won't spend money on any cruise from their lines.

That said, Carnival Corp is the largest cruise corporation in the world, so I'm clearly not in the majority.

Research your ships, pick the one that looks the most fun to you, and have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would pick the Breakaway myself. I've sailed that, and I have sailed the Carnival Destiny (the Sunshine is actually the old Carnival Destiny that they renovated and passed off as a new ship). I'm not really sure there is more to do on the Sunshine, and it is also a more crowded ship. It was crowded as the Destiny, and they added even more cabins to it.

I wouldn't put a lot into the reviews. Most of the Sunshine reviews are from it sailing from the south (Florida, Carolina's), whereas the Breakaway is always out NY with a lot of NY'ers (who tend to be much more critical of things then those in the south. I grew up in NY so used to it myself).

I sailed on Sunshine when she was the Destiny. On her last cruise ever before being renamed. She was a GREAT ship. Obviously, a lot has changed since the rename. I have never sailed on a NCL cruise. But I am in October on Escape. So I cant speak on the Away ships yet. But I can tell you that Sunshine/Destiny is a good boat for families. Mine had a blast on her.

I wouldn't sail Carnival out of NYC if the cruise was free. Let's just say it's cheap prices attracts some undisirables..

Not sure what you mean by undesirables. My upcoming July cruise an 8 night cruise on sunshine is about $2500.00 for two in an inside cabin. NO free drink package or other freebies. Carnival only sails out of NY from late spring to early Fall. Pricing during that time frame is very similar to NCL and Royal.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Hi my family and I had the pleasure of sailing both ships last summer. Sunshine in July & Breakaway in Sept. to keep it short and simple in my opinion the Sunshine is the way to go if your focus is on childrens programing. Last summer our girl was 6 and boy was 7. Dr Seuss on the sunshine is what takes them over the top for the younger kids 5 and below. The parade(we wore thing1 and thing2 shirts from home) the green eggs and ham breakfast was amazing!!! and a live story play activity in which kids are picked to play characters. plus the usual kids club which is a 6 of 10 ( I kind of felt it was a baby sitting service than club).. Breakaway has themed kids club days and they switch at night changing the room décor in the process they get a 10/10 but your kids would have to be old enough to feel comfortable being away from you to get the most out of that. The water slides are great on both ships but again sunshine wins for kids splash area. For the older kid breakaway is the way to go the rock climbing wall, spider slide, bungee trampoline, 4ft kids pool and minigolf.This summer the kids are 7 and 8 so we are back on the Breakaway because at this age they do these activities. My husband and I enjoy the thermal suite on the breakaway far better than the Sunshine for the big kid in us!